Let's discuss Trade Etiquette

"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
Thus all further discussion seems futile.

It is if you're hell bent on assigning blame on people who have done nothing wrong.

But they did do something wrong, that's the point.
Not morally or legally wrong, for sure, but intellectually.
GGG put in place a system that allows you to check (unlike in the faulty car example) exactly what you get. If anyone puts into that trade window anything else than what you demanded (and let's assume, less than you demanded) and you accept that without checking, then of course you have done something wrong (again, not morally or legally). The alleged scammer might just have misclicked and given you the stack of alchs instead the stack of ex you wanted.
If that person is honest, they'll correct that mistake, of course, unless they were really in a hurry and left the game just after the trade, and even then you could send them a PM and get it sorted.
If they were a scammer... well, then you'll have no such luck, and you'll have to live with YOUR mistake of not checking what they put into the trade window. It's of course not YOUR fault that they were a scammer and tried to scam you, that's totally on them.
It's however, your fault that you let them scam you, although you had the means not to. (Which is where the comparison to real world examples ends, because you're usually not given the chance to know everything about your environment - so it's not your fault if you get shot because you left your home, because, at least where I live, it's not to be expected to be shot on the street. However, if there were a police warning that you should not leave your house because some gang was wreaking havoc in your neighborhood (analogous to "you see what's going on in the trade window"), then it would of course be partly your fault.
It's called "gross negligence".
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Very interesting discussion. Can one of you trade experts tell me where I can get an understandable post on how to sell? I am afraid I one of those "rude" people who have cut off a player who messaged me wanting to trade . What button DO you press?
Please do not confuse lack of knowledge with lack of manners.
videos on you tube are good to show how to trade
Last edited by mds100 on Jan 14, 2018 12:27:23 AM
"
If you complete a trade, you thank them for their time, even if it's only a simple "thx". This applies to both sides. Manners maketh man. Communication rules apply everywhere. It's like buying groceries and not talking to the cashier. It's just fucking rude, let's be real.

Actions make the man. The guy who says 'thanks, have a nice day mate' who would rob you blind if given the chance versus the guy who never says anything but would be nice enough to offer a refund or tell someone their giving more money than they need to.

I go through so many trades that saying thanks to every single one would make trading even more grueling.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jan 14, 2018 12:39:53 AM
"

Which basically means that bad things need to happen first in order for the innocent lamb to learn. So tragic. Not like this applies in everyday life anyway.

I agree, like I already said in the part of the post you decided not to quote. Still, just ignoring the idiots isn't helping either, even tho there's nothing we can do about it.
Straw Polls will save humankind! It is known!
I fucking cannot stand when people who are purchasing from me send me a damn trade request as soon as they enter my hideout. Like holy fuck you beat me to my hideout I obviously don’t have they fucking item on me if I came out of a map and now the damn window is blocking my full inventory. If you are buying you WAIT and when the seller is ready he will send you the trade request. That shit is so goddamn rude and impatient that I hit cancel on their request and kick them.
"
That shit is so goddamn rude and impatient that I hit cancel on their request and kick them.

I knew I wasn't the only one feeling that way.
www.youtube.com/captainwarlord

Appreciate your support.
"
But they did do something wrong, that's the point.

No. Since you can't protect yourself 100% in every situation, implying it's your fault if something goes wrong also implies that engaging in a trade AT ALL is wrong. It isn't.

"
GGG put in place a system that allows you to check (unlike in the faulty car example) exactly what you get. If anyone puts into that trade window anything else than what you demanded (and let's assume, less than you demanded) and you accept that without checking, then of course you have done something wrong (again, not morally or legally)..

No. You may have been careless, but wrong, absolutely not. Like I said before, adding extra layers of security is a good thing, but not doing it is not wrong simply because it's not something that you have to do.

"
The alleged scammer might just have misclicked and given you the stack of alchs instead the stack of ex you wanted.

A mistake is a mistake, a scam is a scam. Let's not confuse the two.

"
It's however, your fault that you let them scam you, although you had the means not to.

Then it's also your fault if you get robbed at gun point simply because; when you left your house (the house here being the extra layer of security akin to checking the trade window an extra time) you let the robber rob you. It, of course, does not work that way, it's preposterous.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
Last edited by Vresiberba on Jan 14, 2018 5:09:20 AM
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
It's however, your fault that you let them scam you, although you had the means not to.

Then it's also your fault if you get robbed at gun point simply because; when you left your house (the house here being the extra layer of security akin to checking the trade window an extra time) you let the robber rob you. It, of course, does not work that way, it's preposterous.

Are you seriously still trying to argue with this whole "robbed at gun point" thing?

Are you seriously still trying to compare an actual violent crime to a scam attempt that could at best be compared to something like "bought mystery box for 30$, was empty".

Your arguments are so moronic, man.
www.youtube.com/captainwarlord

Appreciate your support.
"
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"

Are you seriously still trying to argue with this whole "robbed at gun point" thing?

Are you seriously asking that question?

"
Are you seriously still trying to compare an actual violent crime to a scam attempt that could at best be compared to something like "bought mystery box for 30$, was empty".

I'm discussing intent and trying to describe the difference between culprit and victim, the, uh, "violent crime" is purely coincidental. If I say, uhm, "if you go outside and get hit by a falling safe, it's your fault" instead, would it pass your scrutiny, then? It's the same principal.

"
Your arguments are so moronic, man.

Mm-okay. And calling someone who was trade scammed in this game, and I quote; "a shitty scumbag" is not?
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
Last edited by Vresiberba on Jan 14, 2018 5:37:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info