Let's discuss Trade Etiquette

"
"
Vresiberba wrote:
Nope. If I sell you a faulty car, it's I who am at fault. If you scam me out of a trade, it's you how are at fault.


What you describe here is exactly how it works here.

If you buy a broken car, it's your fault for not hiring an expert to give it a proper check-up.

Nope. It's not your "fault" for not hiring an expert simply because it's not mandatory and that a "fault" implies you did something wrong, which you obviously did not do by staying passive.


"
If you buy the wrong item, it's your fault for clicking accept without checking twice.

No. It may be in you interest to do so, but implying that not checking twice is something wrong, is quite frankly moronic.


"
Wanna know how trade worked before all that? People went to the coast (Act 1) and dropped items on the ground.

Yeah, I have 3000 hours in Diablo 1, I know how a bad trading system is bad, but how good or bad a trading system is, is completely irrelevant when determining fault.


"
Your responses are so illogical and delusional, I can't even...

Yeah, sure, whatever.


"
Scammed person is a shitty scumbag

Wow...
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
Last edited by Vresiberba on Jan 13, 2018 10:31:32 AM
"

DO NOT initiate trade/spam trade request EVER. You wait for the seller to initiate trade. This. This is possibly one of the most annoying things you can do. I personally kick them and put them on ignore if they keep doing it. I'm looking for your item, give me some time to find it. No need to be rude and pushy, it just pisses people off as trivial as this may seem.

not initiating trade is the most annoying thing ever. please DO initiate the trade once you arrive in the hideout immediately
"
Completed 24 Challengesalmostdead wrote:
"

DO NOT initiate trade/spam trade request EVER. You wait for the seller to initiate trade. This. This is possibly one of the most annoying things you can do. I personally kick them and put them on ignore if they keep doing it. I'm looking for your item, give me some time to find it. No need to be rude and pushy, it just pisses people off as trivial as this may seem.

not initiating trade is the most annoying thing ever. please DO initiate the trade once you arrive in the hideout immediately

Since the buyer more than likely already have the required item for trade upon arriving at the seller's hideout, you as a buyer should not be the one initiating trade, the seller should since he likely is still looking for the item.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
"
Completed 12 ChallengesPhrazz wrote:
Based on your behavior, I have to say Taurus.


Not even close. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"
Completed 12 ChallengesPhrazz wrote:
Anyhow, I agree with every point - except the "get back to you" point. The buyer has showed his interest, posted the right price - and the SELLER is busy. Why should the BUYER keep /whois'ing or checking the seller's status, instead of the seller just notifying the buyer that he's done?


It was a suggestion, not a necessity. I had it happen couple times today, yesterday, the day before that, the day before that and so on, that I finish my map (or not, depends), portal out and send an invite, then they cancel it. So, this is why I now no longer chase anyone who doesn't give me some sort of "ok" after I tell them I need a few minutes.

"
Completed 12 ChallengesPhrazz wrote:
Yes, it's the buyer that have to show the most interest, but when you put en item up for sale, you WANT to sell it at the LISTED price. You don't show anyone that you WANT to sell it, when you're reluctant to spend 1 second to whisper the buyer.


Yes, I typically serve the first to whisper. IF they acknowlegde my message. If not, then it's the next guy who does.

I want to sell it, sure, but that doesn't mean I will go out of my way for something YOU want from me.

"
Completed 12 ChallengesPhrazz wrote:
You almost have this "there's always another buyer, I don't have to make an effort" attitude. Correct, maybe. But you also talk about politeness in another point. Well.


Because there is. I am polite in the way I handle things. But I also don't waste my time with entitled douchebags who spam invites/trade requests/offers because of impatience. If you can't wait 2 minutes for me to finish my map, then I suppose you don't need the item in the first place.
www.youtube.com/captainwarlord

Appreciate your support.
I think you're all so cute, taking this game so seriously.
"

Yes, I typically serve the first to whisper. IF they acknowlegde my message. If not, then it's the next guy who does.

I want to sell it, sure, but that doesn't mean I will go out of my way for something YOU want from me.


Well, "go out of my way" is kind of subjective. Whispering someone you know is interested in buying something from you after a map, is in my eyes a bare minimum amount of effort and politeness a seller should show.

"

Because there is. I am polite in the way I handle things. But I also don't waste my time with entitled douchebags who spam invites/trade requests/offers because of impatience. If you can't wait 2 minutes for me to finish my map, then I suppose you don't need the item in the first place.


Yes, there is. But it does NOT cost you much effort to whisper that message, instead of the buyer having to place his "life on a hold" while you finish your map. Because let's face it, when we're in the zone chaining maps, we don't spend that much time in our hideouts. The chance of the buyer whispering you again - or /whois'ing you during those five seconds spent in your hideout is slim. And then the circle is complete...

"
Completed 1 ChallengeShagsbeard wrote:
I think you're all so cute, taking this game so seriously.


Says the guy with more than 10 posts a day. You take it seriously too. You're just to old to admit it. With old age comes stubbornness, you know.

And it's not really about taking it seriously. It's about being efficient when it comes to trade, so you can enjoy the entertainment of playing more.
Straw Polls will save humankind! It is known!
Last edited by Phrazz on Jan 13, 2018 10:46:39 AM
"
Vresiberba wrote:
"
"
Vresiberba wrote:
Nope. If I sell you a faulty car, it's I who am at fault. If you scam me out of a trade, it's you how are at fault.


What you describe here is exactly how it works here.

If you buy a broken car, it's your fault for not hiring an expert to give it a proper check-up.

Nope. It's not your "fault" for not hiring an expert simply because it's not mandatory and that a "fault" implies you did something wrong, which you obviously did not do by staying passive.

I kinda agree with you here; and there's a big difference to PoE:
While most persons won't be able to thoroughly check a car for faults, in PoE you see EXACTLY what you get. You can't disguise one exalt as a stack of 10, you can't make alts look like divines. And some people seem to trade so much and ask many people who might offer the same item for different prices... even if someone put 2 alch into the trade window instead of 4 that might not even be an attempt at scamming.
If you accept that and you feel it was a scam, that is entirely your fault for not checking.

So, when you buy a car you cannot exactly see what you're really buying (if you don't happen to be an expert) and faults can be hidden from you.
In PoE you always know what you're buying.

[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
This whole, mostly elitist, idea of the fault-free scammer completely disregards the intention to deceive.

A thief is at fault no matter how you claim an open door absolves someone from this idea of blame.

I completely agree that humanity is just about the stupidest organism on the planet at the moment but this doesn't mean a thief should get a free ride for taking advantage of it.
Last edited by Cuan on Jan 13, 2018 11:05:27 AM
"
Completed 12 ChallengesPhrazz wrote:
"

Yes, I typically serve the first to whisper. IF they acknowlegde my message. If not, then it's the next guy who does.

I want to sell it, sure, but that doesn't mean I will go out of my way for something YOU want from me.


Well, "go out of my way" is kind of subjective. Whispering someone you know is interested in buying something from you after a map, is in my eyes a bare minimum amount of effort and politeness a seller should show.


Come back to me when you have multiple whispers a minute. It gets tiresome to keep track of who wants to buy what.
www.youtube.com/captainwarlord

Appreciate your support.
"
Completed 9 ChallengesCuan wrote:
This whole, mostly elitist, idea of the fault-free scammer completely disregards the intention to deceive.

A thief is at fault no matter how you claim a open door absolves someone from this idea of fault.

I completely agree that humanity is just about the stupidest organism on the planet at the moment but this doesn't mean a thief should get a free ride for taking advantage of it.


Of course the scammer is at fault, too. But part of the fault lies (at least in PoE trades) with the scammee. And if you leave your door open and a thief steals your stuff, your insurance (if you have one) won't pay or pay less than what was stolen because it was partly your fault.
That doesn't make the thief/ scammer a better person at all, but you are also responsible for your own security.
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info