Let's discuss Trade Etiquette

So, after being annoyed by dozens of players, I figured I'd provide a sort of trade etiquette for you to look at and maybe perceive it as a guide. That's entirely up to you what you do with it.

The lack of politeness really annoyed me, with all the rude behavior making it worse.

I will continue the discussion at the bottom of the page.

How To: Properly Trade

The GOLDEN RULE
  • ALWAYS carefully check the trade window for the correct items, no matter how much in a hurry you are, BEFORE you click accept! If you get scammed during this, it's your own fault. I've been scammed like twice in all the nearly 5 years I have been playing. And that was actually years ago. Being in a rush or being lazy does not excuse the fact that you failed to correctly use a designed feature to protect you from being scammed.

Initial Trade
  • DO NOT modifiy a trade whisper EVER. There's only 1 exception to this: Say you want to buy Chaos Orbs and the seller offers like 450 Chaos Orbs for 5 Exalted Orbs. And you only want to trade for 1 ex, then you can whisper them, stating you want to buy 90 chaos for 1 exalt (remove the "listed for" part of the message). Most of the time people will comply because they often set these prices to be on the top of the page, not always is it about bulk trades.
  • If you want to buy an item with your own offer, you copy-paste the trade whisper and THEN you immediately afterwards PM your offer. DO NOT accept invites unless they tell you they accept your offer.
  • If you want to buy an item and don't get a response within 30 seconds, you can type in chat console "/whois <insert name>". This will allow you to see where the character currently resides, possibly being in a map. That way you know that they might be currently fighting a boss and can't respond right now. If you can wait for the item, then try again in 2 minutes.
  • Always check your invites (press S and check the party tab). If you got invited, you visit the hideout of the seller. It's ALWAYS buyer enters seller's hideout. Sometimes they might be in a party, but then they usually tell you which hideout to go to.
  • If you got an invite (and still want to buy), accept it. If you leave it open, the seller might think you are still busy doing other stuff or AFK or whatever and stay in his map even though you are already in his hideout.

Communication
  • DO NOT initiate trade/spam trade request EVER. You wait for the seller to initiate trade. This. This is possibly one of the most annoying things you can do. I personally kick them and put them on ignore if they keep doing it. I'm looking for your item, give me some time to find it. No need to be rude and pushy, it just pisses people off as trivial as this may seem.
  • Be polite. When the seller/buyer makes an error, don't immediately flip out but give them time to fix it. It sometimes happens that one mixed up an item with another, forgot to unstack currency or accidentally miscounted when looking for a map in a quad tab, but that doesn't mean somebody's trying to scam you. Also, the GOLDEN RULE is there for a reason.
  • If a seller tells you something along the lines of "in a map, 2 mins", then YOU REPLY again to let them know you can wait. A simple "ok" or "I can wait" will do. If you do not reply, this signals to the seller that you are not willing to wait, so don't be rude afterwards if they didn't invite you or went into another map.
  • If you complete a trade, you thank them for their time, even if it's only a simple "thx". This applies to both sides. Manners maketh man. Communication rules apply everywhere. It's like buying groceries and not talking to the cashier. It's just fucking rude, let's be real.
  • Remember that we are all humans (hopefully for the most part true), even if some of us use tools like Mercury Trade. Don't accuse someone of botting because the reply looks like a bot reply. Such tools can make it look like that. But to help the community, you can always politely ask if they are a bot. If the response you get seems it's coming from a bot, then you can use that report button. And if you are a seller using these tools, don't get mad when someone asks that. Botting is a legitimate concern.

Other
  • DO NOT ever accept a trade request and then try to pay with other currency than listed. For example: Seller offers item x for 2 Exalted and you put in 180 Chaos because they are "equivalent" according to current ratio. DO NOT ever do this! You ask BEFOREHAND if it's ok if you pay in another currency and you usually should overpay (~10%) because of inconvenience. This is the polite thing to do, but not needed if the seller is fine with it. It's annoying for both sides, but especially for the seller, and you should avoid that at all times. The likelihood of you being ignored is very high. And don't you dare to get mad at the seller for refusing to accept the trade.

Ok, so that's what I have for now. Might expand this if I/someone else can think of something else.

Anyway, I've noticed that most people don't follow simple communication rules and sometimes it legit gets me mad. For example, that spam trade request thing. Jesus, that one's triggering me the most, probably.

Can we please make this a thing? Some proper etiquette so we can all enjoy this shitty trading system to at least some extent?

Thank you.

So many annoying trades I have had the past few days that it's starting to piss me off. Don't expect me to run after you if you can't be arsed to reply to me saying that you can wait.

Seriously, get fucking real. Nobody's your nanny to look after you. You want something from me, so at least show me the courtesy of being polite when you engage with me. Or else you can fuck right off.

Cheers.
www.youtube.com/captainwarlord

Appreciate your support.
Last edited by CaptainWARLORD on Jan 14, 2018 7:41:56 AM
Last bumped on Jan 14, 2018 4:31:00 PM
#9151 Never low ball a The Doctor card.

If you do you may likely be insulted.
IGN: I_NO
- ''How did you hit level 100''
- ''All I did was spam vaults with a thumb up my ass''
- ''Oh''
"

If you want to buy an item with your own offer, you copy-paste the trade whisper and THEN you immediately afterwards PM your offer. DO NOT accept invites unless they tell you they accept your offer.

What I usually do is modify the trade whisper in a way that makes it immediately obvious that I'm trying to bargain. For example:

@Seller Hi! Offer 2ex + 70c for your Kaom's Heart Glorious Plate listed for 3 exalted in Abyss (stash tab X; position: left Y, top Z). Interested?

Seems to work well for me, haven't had any misunderstandings with the sellers so far :)
Fuck master rotas. Fuck any kind of rotas, for that matter.
"
Completed 36 ChallengesDGTLDaemon wrote:
What I usually do is modify the trade whisper in a way that makes it immediately obvious that I'm trying to bargain. For example:

@Seller Hi! Offer 2ex + 70c for your Kaom's Heart Glorious Plate listed for 3 exalted in Abyss (stash tab X; position: left Y, top Z). Interested?

Seems to work well for me, haven't had any misunderstandings with the sellers so far :)

Sure, that may work but it may also not work. Most of the time they just look at the whisper and check what item it is before they consider doing a trade, depending on how much it sells for (since time is money in this case).

Appreciate your support.
"
Completed 40 ChallengesI_NO wrote:
#9151 Never low ball a The Doctor card.

If you do you may likely be insulted.

Low-balling is subjective. Often times they do it because they don't know any better. And those other idiots get an ignore.

Appreciate your support.
Make me.
"
Completed 29 ChallengesZac89 wrote:
Make me.

Haha.

manners-maketh-man_1172454

Appreciate your support.
This discussion again.

And as with all the other threads that have been created about this you put all responsibility of the trade rules on the buyer.

Funny, ain't it?

Couple of things you forgot to mention (in no particular order):

If someone whispers you to buy something off you and you're in a map and you say "2 min" it's your responsibility to get back at the person who pmd you.

Why should the buyer be the only one held responsible for completing a trade? As a abuyer you say I should /whois the seller. For what? To see him entering another map çause he "forgot" about the trade?

THis is why trading sucks in general. Because you only make up rules for a part of the trading system while keeping the other part unregulated.

I just took the time to read your whole post (had previously stopped athe the line separating the "rules" from your personal thoughts).

You end up with "Seriously, get fucking real. Nobody's your nanny to look after you. You want something from me, so at least show me the courtesy of being polite when you engage with me. Or else you can fuck right off."

Now I Know where you're coming from. And that you're part of the problem.
"
ALWAYS carefully check the trade window for the correct items, no matter how much in a hurry you are, BEFORE you click accept! If you get scammed during this, it's your own fault.

Absolutely not! It's never, ever, your fault if you're scammed.
Going outside is highly overrated
-Anorak's Almanac. Chapter 17, Verse 32
"
If someone whispers you to buy something off you and you're in a map and you say "2 min" it's your responsibility to get back at the person who pmd you.

Why should the buyer be the only one held responsible for completing a trade? As a abuyer you say I should /whois the seller. For what? To see him entering another map çause he "forgot" about the trade?

Absolutely not. You want something. I have no obligation to sell to you at any point or time. If you don't want to engage in trade, go play SSF.

"
THis is why trading sucks in general. Because you only make up rules for a part of the trading system while keeping the other part unregulated.

Convenience. That is what you want. And convenience has a price. I as a buyer/seller know that. Following proper etiquette makes trading for both sides easier and more comfortable. Seeing how stubborn you are in this reply, I can already tell you are my target audience. Even if you refuse to listen.

"
Now I Know where you're coming from. And that you're part of the problem.

Please, tell me more about who you think I am. Maybe guess my star sign while you are at it.

Appreciate your support.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info