State of Cyclone

Over the last few year cyclone has slowly got worse and worse. I have been playing cyclone builds exclusively since their release in 0.10.3. As times have changed, new skills have been added, and nerfs to cyclone begin to look more and more unnecessary. I have ignored its nerfs for the most part simply because it is a melee skill that offers mobility at the same time. But, then we started to get more and more skills that offer the same functionality as cyclone, but without its negatives, which thus make them superior. One example is Shield Charge, which can easily get half screen AOE, and has way more mobility and ability to dish out damage. It has higher damage effectiveness, increases movement speed, and does up to 200% more damage at max distance charges, not to mention it gets damage increase from quality. Overall it is better in every way. So what some people do is use Shield Charge as a main skill and use cyclone as a pseudo single target skill.

Why cyclone lowers your movement speed, reduces 1st hit dmg by half, and now cant be used with ruthless is beyond me. It is like the skill is intentionally being forced to be mediocre. It does not clear fast, most of the time. If you want to go for clear speed you will not be very strong against bosses. I've tried so many cyclone builds under the sun and none of them are amazing.

In the future I would like to see the movement speed penalty removed or AOE increased drastically. Its also ridiculous that cyclone is essentially a channeled skill yet did not get the channeled tag... If shield charge is going to be the superior damage dealer cyclone should be better at AoE, and no the quality AoE and + melee range is not enough.

Currently in Abyss league I got over 70k dps ( which is nothing these days compared to other skills like blade flurry that can get over 1 million ) with my 80% lightning claw + mace cycloner. Dps is not my problem, I can quickly kill normal content monsters. The problem is getting to the enemies and attacking, which sucks, even with quicksilvers. Im about to swap in 3 quicksilver flasks just to ease the pain of several minute map clears despite wrecking everything I can touch. In fact its so annoying I am even thinking of dropping dps to use a deaths rush just for onslaught and making up for lost resists on jewels.

I would like to actually enjoy my favorite skill in PoE... the only reason my current cyclone build is even viable at all is because of the abyss gems and
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
Last edited by Jgizle on Jan 8, 2018, 4:10:17 AM
Last bumped on Jan 13, 2018, 4:57:22 PM

This is your AOE for cyclone it isn't much but it does help a lot tell you that much.

In my honest opinion Cyclone's fucking clunky along with most of the melee skills I've absolutely crushed the entire content we ''true'' melee and probably won't ever do this again.

Probably do spells -.= next league.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Agree on everything, i have a level 95 harbinger cycloner and a level 93 abyss cycloner, i used to play before but deleted some characters. I really hate the fact that you cant stop cyclone midway, if you would accidentally start spinning until the end of your screen you cant stop and essentially kill yourself sometimes.
There are many ways to aid cyclone via some sort of corpse explosion. As a berserker I tend to go for abyssal cry, or some way to make killed enemies explode for x% life. To bad the later only helps on mobs near you, which you would just kill with cyclone anyways. Abyssal cry helps but it has a 4 second cool down, 2 second with berserker due to cool down recovery speed. Cyclone should not be in the state its in for so long. There are signficantly faster and stronger skills out there and this skill has been left to rot.
Chroniccomplainerreviews.wordpress.com

Your source for quality honest reviews to save you time and money!
You know what I wanted? Ice crash to be viable

I love that skill with all my heart :D
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Have you considered trying not to play shit cyclone builds before posting your wall of tears? I checked all your cyclone characters and the builds you are using/used are absolute garbage.

Your Abyss character is playing ele scaling cyclone with no Hatred, 1h cyclone is bad unless you got crazy good 1hand and build for it. Righteous Decree and Light of Divinity on Cyclone you wot m8.

Extra PC with no way to generate PCs.

Going ele damage without full convert.

Scourge without going full minion damage.

You are getting ele damage nodes and you dont have WED in cyclone.

Get medium at the game before you start complaining. Your other characters are equally bad, there is zero thought put into them.
Last edited by IMBrewmaster on Jan 8, 2018, 4:16:11 AM
Man I love my cyclone slayer so far! Hold down right click right in front of you and whirl everything to death then leap slam (blood magic ftw) to next pack etc. I'v only cleared up to tier 8 maps but this feels pretty epic with my cheaper gear so far. Can't imagine having Atziris disfavor someday!

Cyclone is still very good. It is at its best with 2hrs and increases to weapon range. Weapon range is so important for increasing the base AoE.

Using 1hrs is not a great idea because of the significantly lower weapon range.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Last edited by TheAshmaker on Jan 8, 2018, 7:29:37 AM
"
TheAshmaker wrote:
Cyclone is still very good. It is at its best with 2hrs and increases to weapon range. Weapon range is so important for increasing the base AoE.

VS other shit right now? Not even close.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
"
TheAshmaker wrote:

VS other shit right now? Not even close.

Well of course but thats all melee in general though.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info