Infernal blow / ignite templar... any thoughts?

Hello,

so... I want to build a melee fire templar with focus on fire dmg and igniting your enemies.

Skills to be primarily used:
Infernal blow with Chance to ignite, added fire dmg, increased weapon ele dmg (?), ele proliferation/fire penetration

Molten shell with chance to ignite, added fire dmg, and any of the above
Flammability

Auras:
Determination
Grace
Discipline
Purity
Hatred
- all of them should have reduced mana, some of them will have blood magic

What I like about infernal blow is, that its both AoE and single target dmg packed in one skill.

The build:

This is my first attempt at making a build (or a serious one, anyway), so I am sure there will be a lot a wasted points and stuff... thats why I have you guys :).

I'm unsure about a couple of things:

Should I go all the way down to the duelist tree to get the Golem's blood, iron reflexes and Diamond skin? (possibly Thick skin) I mean, is it really worth it? Survivability is without a doubt concern number 1, and iron reflexes combined with grace and all the armor % increase should really increase my armour by a considerable amount. Plus theres the resists and health, so... I dunno, any thoughts?

And what about EB? I will need a lot of mana to support all the auras, but is this the way to go?

And finnaly, I really am not sure about resolute technique. You might be knocking on your head and saying: well how the hell can you build a fire/ignite build around resolute technique, which prohibits you from critting? Yes, it does, but on the other hand, I will have around 30-45% chance to ignite from the support gem, plus I will pick Blaze (oh yeah, another thing - worth it to get Blaze?), which is another 5%, so it total I should be able to ignite my enemies with almost every other hit, which is sufficient.

I seriously dont know if this will work, but it might and it might be fun ;). Check the build out and tell me what would you do to improve it! Thanks!

Oh yeah, I have no idea how I'll be able to deal with reflects ele... but oh well, somethings gotta kill ya, right =D?
Last edited by Pabos on Feb 28, 2013, 4:02:40 AM
There are 2 parts of infernal blow to consider. One is the explosion, which is 20% of the target's max life as fire damage, and the other is the actual damage of the hit, which is 125% damage effectiveness, 50% of physical being converted to fire.

There are 2 ways of making this skill deal with groups of mobs. One is to use ignite with elemental proliferation, and the other is just to use the AoE explosion itself. The damage potential of using the initial hit with ignite + elemental proliferation will probably be higher, but consider that relying on the explosion will allow you to use a shield and a 1 hander without compromising your damage output. Focusing more on defense without offensive setbacks sounds pretty sweet for a melee build.

The explosion itself will only be affected by elemental or fire damage modifiers that dont apply specifically to weapons or spells. So weapon elemental damage will only affect the initial hit, and same goes for added fire damage. (On a similar note, molten shell is a spell, so added fire damage wont do anything for it).

You should probably plan on using 2 curses, as getting fire resist as low as possible is vital for your damage output. I'm not quite sure whether ignite is likely to interfere with your triggering the explosions due to enemies dying without you hitting them. Might want to look into that.

Say you stack +100% increased elemental/fire damage, which is reasonable. That means each explosion does 40% of the target's max health as fire damage. Throw in concentrated effect and you're at about 68% of the target's max HP as fire damage, which is pretty significant.

For gems, my recommendation would be infernal blow + fire penetration + increased area of effect + concentrated effects. If you get your hands on a 5 link, then you might want to throw life leech in there IF it works with the explosion. I'm not sure if it does.
IGN: Iolar
Told me to resubmit when it had already posted -.-
IGN: Iolar
Last edited by BRavich on Feb 28, 2013, 7:29:42 AM
Thanks man, these are some great tips!

I might just go with concentrated effect+increased AoE+increased chance to ignite+fire pene... and ele proliferation if I ever get a 6 link... imagine the dmg on that: ignite burns for 4/3 of the initial hit, the initial hit being around 60% of the killed targets hp, BUT with the increased burning dmg by 60% from Pyromaniac and the nodes around it, that would be 0,6*(4/3)*1,6 = around 130% of the targets life in burning damage... well I dunno about you but that sounds pretty damn sweet considering that the burning effect will be spreading to other targets as well...

Well, what do you think? I could as well have 2 different infernal blows - one single target and one supported for AoE, just to deal with bosses and some tougher mobs... Single target one would prolly have +fire dmg, +wep ele dmg and fire pene...

The 2 curses are certainly interesting as well... but are they really necessary? I will have flammability, which will lower the resistances + fire pene support gem, which will decrease them even further... are the 2 curses even necessary?

And you haven't commented on any of the keystones I mentioned in my first post... EB, IR, RT... I am not 100% sure about any singe one of these...

As for life leech... if I do get golems blood and troll blood, I should have around 5% health regen per sec without any flasks, so I should manage without life leech... I'm also thinking about having a devouring totem, just to help with the sustain, but I dunno, never used it before...

Anyways, thanks for the tips man!

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about Culling Strike... It might be interesting to make the mobs explode a bit earlier, any thoughts? At least for the single target "anti-boss" infernal blow it seems like a good idea...
Last edited by Pabos on Mar 1, 2013, 8:29:46 AM
bump

Any advice? Please :)?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info