GGG stated that a Xsolla replacement is on the way

Update 1
Just an update. After speaking with a GGG representative they kindly linked me to the following reddit thread, where Chris Wilson states that due to user feedback GGG will be switching back to Stripe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7ecs25/why_does_xsolla_have_my_cc_information_did_ggg/dq4ilsn/

"
There are specific rules around storing and handling credit card data. This system is called PCI Compliance. To be PCI Compliant, you have to comply with very difficult requirements and store data very carefully. These requirements are far too difficult for us to meet, so we have always used third-party payment processors (formally Stripe, and now Xsolla, though we're bringing Stripe back due to feedback). These providers are PCI Compliant and store the credit card data securely. We have never seen or handled credit card data on our end.
When you move from one provider to another, they transfer your account's encrypted (and properly stored) credit card data to the new provider. This means that all of our data is now housed at a different provider, but is stored just as safely as it was before. PCI Compliance and the safety of customers' data is massively important to these payment companies, and if they made a mistake and lost the ability to process credit card payments, it'd cost them their entire business.
This is why your saved credit card data is available for purchases made with whichever provider we use.

Update 2
Alfaphlex kindly provided the solution to removing Xsolla from Paypals Pre-Approved list.
I used this method myself and it worked perfectly.
Thank you Alfaphlex!

"
For anyone who used PP and wants to check and removed them manually:

PP Settings->Payments->Manage Pre-Approved->Xsolla->Cancel

Original Post

Dear GGG,

I will most likely no longer be supporting yourselves until I am allowed to make payments directly to yourselves without going through the Xsolla application.

After being on the phone again for over an our with my Bank and then also Paypal to get my transactions to Xsolla approved I have found out the following.

1.) Xsolla has been reported on multiple occasions for dubious behavior, which is why many banks have them Blacklisted. (They have actually been reported for fraud on multiple counts.)

2.) They have been known for questionable business practices in the past, such as their infamous 18% "tip" which they have used in the past. (1)
(I can't check if this is in place with my current transactions to GGG, since I never actually get to see the breakdown of my charges. I only see the final amount.)

3.) This next one may just have to do with myself, but maybe others have experienced it.
When making payments, using Paypal to Xsolla. I am never prompted to enter my password, the payment simply goes through.
This is a HUGE security problem!!

4.) This next one does not effect me, but has caused problems for a friend of mine.
A different game had used Xsolla in the past and my friend had been notified by his bank that he was being charged over $500 by Xsolla.
Thanks to his bank, he quickly stopped the payment, but Xsolla considered this a "chargeback" even though he never authorized the initial payment.
Therefore he is now unable to ever make payments for any game where Xsolla is required, since they blocked him for this "chargeback". (Including this one.)

Sources:
(1) Popular gaming payment processor, Xsolla, has started adding a default 18% "tip" to all payments which it keeps.

-This was posted here as I thought it was pertinent that the public is made aware of the problems with Xsolla. Thank you.
Last edited by King_Yoshi on Dec 31, 2017, 4:35:02 PM
Last bumped on Jul 6, 2018, 5:55:28 PM
Does it still bill through them if you buy through steam ? I have not purchased anything this league and have not played since breach was about to buy my customary 250 points this league and get some more stash tabs but not if i have to pay an 18 % tip charge to some 3rd party .
I don't understand all this Xsolla stuff, can't people just pay direct with a credit/debit card like all adults have?
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
Nope. The two options we have are Steam and Xsolla.
Never heard of xsolla.

Ive bought a few supporter packs now and never seen any mention of xsolla. Why not pay via steam/paypal which comes straight out your normal bank account?

edit
Just viewed the poe website which states paypal is via xsolla, ive always bought threw steam so dont think they were involved.

However there is a debit card option on the poe website, go for that?

edit again

I see even the debit card option is threw xsolla aswell!

Is steam payment via xsolla?
Last edited by evilbond on Dec 30, 2017, 6:51:06 PM
I have no idea why my Paypal has to go through Xsolla. They don't provide anything on top of whatever Paypal is already doing. In the past I never had to go through that dodgy third party merchant; Paypal was safe and fast.

I had recently purchased the Subjugator and Abyssal Imp packs, and Xsolla sneaked in a pre-approved permission to my Paypal. I deactivated it promptly. I now monitor my Paypal regularly to make sure there is no payment to Xsolla without my approval. Talk about a peace of mind.

Just like an hour ago, I wanted to buy the Abyssal Lich pack. Xsolla is now blocking me from making the payment, probably because I refused them the pre-approval. I'm not compromising my money for this.

Seriously. I can't even buy packs now. I'm not using Karma Koin because international purchase actually costs a lot more outside of US or Canada, to the tune of 20-30%.

What will you have me do, GGG? You're shafting your own supporters here with some very dubious payment choices. I still wish to make that last pack purchase for this league, but I believe the onus is now on you. If Xsolla purportedly allows 700+ payment choices, please leave credit cards and Paypal out of this bogus sham.

Edit: Some have mentioned using Steam and then using them to convert to packs or something. I've never had so much trouble trying to give my money.
Last edited by Hayrich on Dec 30, 2017, 6:52:41 PM
"
evilbond wrote:
Never heard of xsolla.

Ive bought a few supporter packs now and never seen any mention of xsolla. Why not pay via steam/paypal which comes straight out your normal bank account?

edit
Just viewed the poe website which states paypal is via xsolla, ive always bought threw steam so dont think they were involved.

However there is a debit card option on the poe website, go for that?

edit again

I see even the debit card option is threw xsolla aswell!

Is steam payment via xsolla?

I believe Steam doesn't go through Xsolla, but you'll have to do some legwork with the Steam side to get the packs bought. I don't know how, maybe someone else can help you there.

DO NOT GIVE XSOLLA YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD DETAILS. Google Xsolla and you get horror stories of how gamers have had unknown hidden charges to their cards.

Paypal is probably safer, but I still do not trust Xsolla with anything. I'll get my last pack once Xsolla is out of the picture, I'm not dealing with them.
"
Hayrich wrote:

Edit: Some have mentioned using Steam and then using them to convert to packs or something. I've never had so much trouble trying to give my money.

Ive always used steam, when you use the ingame shop, press buy, it pops up a steam window where you add the funds required via several options like paypal/debit card etc... then buy it and get desired pack instantly while still in game. Pretty simple.

Perhaps the op doesn't use steam.
"
evilbond wrote:
"
Hayrich wrote:

Ive always used steam, when you use the ingame shop, press buy, it pops up a steam window where you add the funds required via several options like paypal/debit card etc... then buy it and get desired pack instantly while still in game. Pretty simple.

I use the stand alone PC client; my PoE has never launched from Steam.

Can I still use Steam to make the purchase in this case? I do have a Steam account for other games though.
"
Hayrich wrote:
"
evilbond wrote:
"
Hayrich wrote:

I use the stand alone PC client; my PoE has never launched from Steam.

Can I still use Steam to make the purchase in this case? I do have a Steam account for other games though.

I remember having to link my account and losing characters in the process! Beware of that move as well lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info