Xbox One Pros and Cons (regarding rubberbanding)

Hi,

I read the reasons why rubberbanding is such a big issue on xbox, which I totally understand, but beside the technical stuff, the main reason is:

"
In online games, every action has to be checked with the server (to prevent cheating). This can take up to a few hundred milliseconds, depending on your distance to the server. During that time, the positions of any relevant entities are at best unconfirmed, and at worst, wrong. Over time, this can compound to a significant divergence between the clients and the server (with the server being the authority).

So we have to live with the Cons of the Xbox of bad targetting, limitation to buttons etc

On top of that, every patch takes super long due to the certification process as MS is protecting their console pretty well, to not get hacked.

Alright, maybe you are getting where I am heading by now, its a CLOSED SYSTEM.

Why don't we make use of it and trust for once the console predictions and just monitor those inconsitencies. SHould it happen way to often maybe look into it, but for now wouldn't it be just easier to trust and deal with cheating, once the xbox one is actually compromised?

It would also free server resources. And in multiplayer, you could verify kinda peer to peer, if you would desire. But yeah just keep the mechanics in place as they are, and log desyncs, but update the server not the console. This way they game would just run super smooth, the experience would be awesome and yeah cross the bridge of cheating on xbox, when it actually happens.

Hope you guys read this and really consider this as an option. Many times, the simplest solutions are the best.

Regards,

Just another Exile

Edit:

After thinking a bit more about it, maybe not totally trust, as we know there are other ways to manipulate, like controlling latency etc. But you could put in some situation evaluation, like if someone is leapslamming around how big is the deviation, how often did it happen in a specific timespan, and use an optimistic approach and giving the user and console the benefit of the doubt in most cases. If I get reset only every 20 mins once, while using movement skills it would definitely improve the experience a lot.
Last edited by CuriousGrel on Dec 28, 2017, 1:10:13 AM
Last bumped on Jan 8, 2018, 4:29:31 AM
That rubberbanding is quite aweful. Makes many builds impossible to run smoothly.
Firstly, the xbox has been compromised on several occasions, one instance that comes to mind is video footage of BattleField One. the guy was insta killing and shooting through mountains and buildings, and running through the map at incredible speeds. this is not the only time that its happened or the only game, considering there are third party sellers it would make it to profitable to allow any possibility of this happening. the game economy would completely crash.

secondly, its not these checks that is the problem, PC has the same checks. they need to do upgrades and optimizations on their servers and the code to smooth things out.I played on the PC version and they had these issues there as well at one time. they got it straightened out, hopefully now that the 3.1 is out and they are adding in things like oni goroshi in january, they will be working on performance issues and making the trade more user friendly. Id take those last two things over more things to play with. so here is to hoping....
Having some video footage on youtube, doesn't really proof a thing. As long this stuff is not available for anyone on the market. An optimistic approach with an evaluation as described, how often did it happen, what was the user doing, would eliminate hacks as you described as well. I mean using movement skills, each time, its just a fragment difference from whats being calculated on the server, considering the boundaries giving by the characters properties, like movement speed skill range etc. If the console code can come to the result, the server should be ablo to get there too, without too much "cheating". And its all a question of the experience, well if every once in a while just a skill doesn't hit, its one thing, but changing the player position 3 screens back after a while, thats just super bad. And corrections could also be made on the server side, as long the client predictions are plausable.
It is a big issue and they said they will optimize it the best they can.

But I agree, it is really very limiting. I'm pretty sure I can shield charge, and 1 out of 10 times I will lag backwards a great deal. Which is a problem when your in an abyss crack and standing still for the half a second means you can die. But really its a problem in many area's, boss fights as well. I don't know if there is an amount of optimization that can be done to make it (fixed).

The language used when talking about this issue sounds like they don't think much can be done about it. I would never even attempt to play hardcore before this was cleared up. Getting to 100 will also be worse now, because of things that are beyond a players control on top of xp penalties.

It makes me sad as flicker strike seems to be made for controller play, but you just have to accept then that the game will kill you at least once a map because the servers can't handle it. The servers can barely handle shield charging across an empty map.

Still hoping for the best though!

Fix your goddamned servers.

Throw some fucking money at it and fucking fix it.
"
Greyinnam wrote:
Fix your goddamned servers.

Throw some fucking money at it and fucking fix it.

Not very polite, but yeah, as we are getting ignored again anyway, it won't matter at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info