I'm VERY new, and sorta made a Passive Skill Plan, can you tell me if it will fall apart?

Passive Skill Tree:

I've only known the game for like a week, and am new to mmo's as well. (x
I am very interested in being immune to chaos damage because it sounds cool lol. Then I saw that I could apply life-leech to energy shield, and then double the life leeched, and maybe went a bit overboard, and have completely overlooked other things?

I don't want to invest too much in something that's going to be unplayable later on... But I kind of don't feel like following a guide made up by somebody else either, so maybe someone can just give me an advice, and tell me if my "plan" can even work at all?

Skills I wanted to focus on:

Frenzy
Spectral Throw
Flicker Strike
Last edited by Witherswipe92 on Dec 20, 2017, 8:00:06 PM
Last bumped on Dec 28, 2017, 1:21:02 PM
1. this isn't an mmo
2. this isn't the kind of game you can try "what sounds cool" and make it viable at endgame.

Follow a build until you know what you're doing

this tree is a mess
"
Witherswipe92 wrote:
Passive Skill Tree:

I don't want to invest too much in something that's going to be unplayable later on... But I kind of don't feel like following a guide made up by somebody else either, so maybe someone can just give me an advice, and tell me if my "plan" can even work at all?

Skills I wanted to focus on:

Frenzy
Spectral Throw
Flicker Strike

Sometimes the easiest way to get to know a game is to follow guides, thats what they are for. get to know the game and then you can theory craft later on. Its never late to theory craft, but you're just going to waste a lot of time and effort on going in blind.
I understand you man. I'm new at this game too. Don't listen to grumpy elitists of this game. But I must also mention that this is a really detailed game you can have fun in a lot of ways. I never saw anything after t4 maps but I'm enjoying this game sincerely.

However creating a build for endgame requires a lot of time experience and knowledge on the game mechanics. You can do anything you like but there are so much builds that is well written you can choose one of them and you are good to go.

Try to focus only one or two skills for example a totem and a melee build. For your first build choose something easy and witt Resolute Technique (you will understand when you take a look at the skill tree and search for Resolute Technique). Enjoy the game man :)

PS: your tree is shit.
"
Mutasyon wrote:
Don't listen to grumpy elitists of this game.

Do listen to the elitists, they generally know the game very well and give excellent advice.

I know you don't want to follow a guide but they are very beneficial as you're learning the game and how the skills etc work. If you do end up following a guide try and find one with levelling trees so you understand why they allocate the points at each level. If you still don't want to follow a guide, at least have a read of a few of them to expand your knowledge.

A good guide that might help is DemiGodkinglol (or whatever his name is) flying purple people, it's in the duelist forum. It's a 2 hand slayer build based on lacerate, but the great thing is that it works with a lot of other skills, if you don't like lacerate, try earthquake or sunder or something else.

Also, don't expect your first character to be your only character. I thought that would be the case for me, but quickly found I had several. Once you learn the zones, it only takes a few hours to get a character to 60/70 and quite often you'll find it's quicker and easier to level a new character than respec your current one.

With all said and done, you don't need to follow a guide as there is a lot to keep you interested, however if you are aiming for 'end game' rather than plodding around not doing much, follow a guide.

"
Mutasyon wrote:
I understand you man. I'm new at this game too. Don't listen to grumpy elitists of this game. But I must also mention that this is a really detailed game you can have fun in a lot of ways. I never saw anything after t4 maps but I'm enjoying this game sincerely.

However creating a build for endgame requires a lot of time experience and knowledge on the game mechanics. You can do anything you like but there are so much builds that is well written you can choose one of them and you are good to go.

Try to focus only one or two skills for example a totem and a melee build. For your first build choose something easy and witt Resolute Technique (you will understand when you take a look at the skill tree and search for Resolute Technique). Enjoy the game man :)

PS: your tree is shit.

WTF you are shit.. never seen above t4 Telling people to go Resolute technique? that shits the worst noteable in the game you know that right?> fuckign retard scrub
"
Malfusation wrote:
"
Mutasyon wrote:
Don't listen to grumpy elitists of this game.

Do listen to the elitists, they generally know the game very well and give excellent advice.

I know you don't want to follow a guide but they are very beneficial as you're learning the game and how the skills etc work. If you do end up following a guide try and find one with levelling trees so you understand why they allocate the points at each level. If you still don't want to follow a guide, at least have a read of a few of them to expand your knowledge.

A good guide that might help is DemiGodkinglol (or whatever his name is) flying purple people, it's in the duelist forum. It's a 2 hand slayer build based on lacerate, but the great thing is that it works with a lot of other skills, if you don't like lacerate, try earthquake or sunder or something else.

Also, don't expect your first character to be your only character. I thought that would be the case for me, but quickly found I had several. Once you learn the zones, it only takes a few hours to get a character to 60/70 and quite often you'll find it's quicker and easier to level a new character than respec your current one.

With all said and done, you don't need to follow a guide as there is a lot to keep you interested, however if you are aiming for 'end game' rather than plodding around not doing much, follow a guide.

Also Demi's guides is the worst guides to follow he uses SUPER EXPENSIVE OP ASS GEAR that 99% of people cant afford or get.. his builds and stream are amazing... just not made for other people tbh
"
khawk3lite wrote:

Also Demi's guides is the worst guides to follow he uses SUPER EXPENSIVE OP ASS GEAR that 99% of people cant afford or get.. his builds and stream are amazing... just not made for other people tbh

I do agree with you on most points and wouldn't usually suggest one of Demi's, however in this video guide he links to another one showing what you can replace the expensive gear with and still get similar results and the main weapon is a Kondos which is hardly expensive. However, the main reason I used it as an example is the vast array of skills and weapons you can use.
I feel a little bad at the amount of flak you're getting. Here's a bit of explanation. It's probably clearest if I tell you what would happen if you go ahead with your existing tree.

Case 1: You start out fresh, using a mix of frenzy / flicker / spectral throw to level. You will make very slow progress. Even assuming you take the time to pick up Energy Shield gear with life on it, and do your best to ensure your resists are fine, you will likely start dying around act 3-4 and lose steam. This is because (a) frenzy and flicker are terrible to level with, with ST not much better, and (b) your tree does not help you much with either damage or health.

Case 2: You start out with decent levelling jewels, uniques, and level with firestorm / firetrap, sunder, or some other generally strong level setup. You do make it to endgame, although you will likely die many, many times to most bosses (essentially zerg rushing them). You will also take a long time, i.e., days. When you do finally get there, you will find you have a tiny ES pool and die to nearly anything. Your leech is not strong enough to sustain you (look up the wiki re: maximum leech rates: you will find you probably only regenerate about 400-500 health a sec at best. Endgame bosses do much more than this unless you kill them first.) Your damage is also likely peanuts. You will not crit and you have almost no accuracy. I.e. Wraeclastian mobs will beat you up.

You will then likely reroll your character.

The main errors you made were:
> not getting enough ES / life on tree
> not realizing that crit and accuracy are important
> overestimating the impact of leech
> choosing too many skills

Someone who wanted to make a strong ES Flicker build could ostensibly do so, but they would certainly abuse well-known flicker uniques like Oro's or the existing bleed abuse to provide infinite flicker. They would also probably have a lot more life, crit, accuracy and layered defenses like evasion, MoM, acrobatics.

For what it's worth, your tree is a lot better than the first one I made, so take heart lol. Tinkering w Path Of Building is something basically all POE players enjoy. Keep doing it and eventually you'll design a good build of your own. Or follow a guide and get better fast, then try again :)

Cheers.
"
1. this isn't an mmo

Sorry I called it an mmo, I realize it's an action RPG more like with multiplayer elements.

Thanks to everyone for their input! Looked up DemiGodkinglol on YouTube and I do like his videos, and the way he explains many things about the games.
I have gone forth and back on whether I want to follow a guide or not, and again I decided not to.
Following a guide, one learns what he does works. Not following a guide, one learns why a million other things doesn't work; one learns a lot more by failing, than by attempting dublicate a working result. I am just talking basics, as I now accept that I likely won't get my first character to a very high lvl. I have been looking up a lot of guides, and been reading a lot. Now I understand that Spectral Throw benefits from X % attack with "weapon", so there won't be a reason to invest in too many projectile damage notes? Because of this mechanic, I thought Spectral Throw might also scale with the life leech per hit from claws, so I tested it, and it does. It seems beneficial to me, but I realize it might not be in late game. Question: I can only assume that life leech from claws scales with Ghost Reaver?

I realize that I'll probably be creating more than one character now, and I'm much more cool with "investing time in something that will fall apart later on" as I want the experience from trying instead. I am not out to make the most powerful character, with the most compact and valuable Passive Tree. I am much more into experimenting.

I had a vision of a Trickster with claws, focus on Spectral Throw, CI and Life Leech applied to Energy Shield. No poison, but I do like critical damage.
Question 1: Should I ivest in Vaal Pact if doing that? Does Vaal Pact work together with Ghost Reaver and CI?
Question 2: How many passive notes should I invest in Energy Shield? (If I insist on doing this)
Question 3: How many Endurance/Frenzy/Power Charge notes do you normally pick up in Passive Skill Tree? I also wonder whether to go with Frenzy or Power for my build, but probably Frenzy.

I understand if it may be annoying to people who have played the game for years, that I want to do something which doesn't make sense in terms of effeciency, but I just want to try this, and then maybe try to create a more powerful character later on. For now it's pretty fun to just experience the game for the first time, while learning. (;

About those Frenzy Charges, is there a good way to get them on critical hits, (not using Frenzy active skill), if I can afford enough passive critical chance notes with my claws, using Spectral Throw supported by Multiple Projectiles?

Update: Does this Tree make a little bit more sense?

Last edited by Witherswipe92 on Dec 22, 2017, 9:06:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info