Am I the only one who thinks shaped/elder items should be hidden from filters?

"
Nubatron wrote:
Your idea effectively changes the game from an ARPG to a landfill/sanitation worker job (no disrespect meant to members of those professions). In an ARPG, the idea is to kill things as fast as you can while occasionally hitting big on the slot machine. There should be a resistance to that speed, in the form of game mechanics, harder monsters or something more involved than sifting through garbage for a gem. The resistance you are describing sounds awful and it does exist in the game, for Warband drops. I don't see too many folks saying thank you GGG for letting me sift through unidentified items Warbands drop to get a chance at Warband only mods, and there is a reason for that.

Edit: I guess they drop pre-identified now. Nice QoL change GGG. Point still stands though. I don't recall anyone being happy about picking those items up back in the day.

I think your missing the OP's point.

OP is discussing downwards economical power in the pyramid. Where power/spike players gather the most wealth and reside at the top.

If elder/shaper items where unable to be detected by item filters then they would present an economical advantage to people who are not power/spike players and that enjoy "just playing" the game instead of "working the system".

Power players would have to purchase those items to craft them from the other players, creating a downwards currency stream.

As for your post and it's "tedious" aspect, that's entirely avoidable by locking shaper/elder items in boss loot tables only. This promotes boss kills and again favors non-power players that don't skip bosses.
This means that you would have to press alt to make all items visible after you kill a boss in order to scout for an elder/shaped item drop, increasing that "fun" moment when you kill a boss cause it could contain a jackpot.

Instead of the current boss feeling where the loot filter instantly tells you "nope, next".

It's going to be funny once the community realises that elder/shaper items are not for them, but only for the power-players since crafting is locked behind a pay-wall only they can overcome. The dis-balance between a low/mid/top player is going to take an exponential leap this patch.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
For some reason the itemization is designed so that you need to drop thousands of items every map. Everything drops everywhere, there are plenty of duplicates, even white items, top bases roll every affix... that's why an item filter is even needed. If instead looting was more "targeted" and about quality instead of quantity, you could have less items dropped, but those would be more meaningful. But since even the top ilvl bases can roll all affixes, you need this insane amount of dice rolls to have a slight chance at good items.

That's why I love the bases added in 2.4 (steel, opal, etc), they are rare, drop only in specific zones and thus are an exciting find. They are intended to be crafted not looted, which is more or less the same thing - dice rolls, but at least the bases are fun to loot.

The current amount of items dropped is not manually manage-able. I play with a non-strict filter (SSF) and enjoy shuffling through the pile after a big fight, say an Abyss or Breach, but if I had to manually go through all those items to find a shaper/elder one, it would get boring really fast. Garbage Inspector Inc.

To get what OP wants, you'd have to redesign the whole itemization system, not just the filter (or lack of it).

E:
In short: the volume of dropped items is way too high, to not have a special filter tag for shaper/elder items.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Dec 13, 2017, 7:49:19 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
Your idea effectively changes the game from an ARPG to a landfill/sanitation worker job (no disrespect meant to members of those professions). In an ARPG, the idea is to kill things as fast as you can while occasionally hitting big on the slot machine. There should be a resistance to that speed, in the form of game mechanics, harder monsters or something more involved than sifting through garbage for a gem. The resistance you are describing sounds awful and it does exist in the game, for Warband drops. I don't see too many folks saying thank you GGG for letting me sift through unidentified items Warbands drop to get a chance at Warband only mods, and there is a reason for that.

Edit: I guess they drop pre-identified now. Nice QoL change GGG. Point still stands though. I don't recall anyone being happy about picking those items up back in the day.

Fun fact: you have left multiple unidentified 6x T1 items on the ground in your playtime. This is a statistical fact. Yet this doesn't get you to pick up and identify everything that drops.

Sorry, not buying what you're saying.

And thank you for taking the time Boem, when this many people miss the point, it's probably the OP at fault for lack of clarity. This is exactly the scenario I expect would happen if implemented as previously described. Power and wealth to the casual, slow, and/or non-meta players. Instead we get more of the opposite.
You're fooling yourself if you think that changing the rules will change the pyramid. All it will do is cause power-players to adjust to the new ruleset. It wont cause "downward cash flow" any more than tax credits for the wealthy trickle down in the real world. Rich players got rich by understanding the game and exploiting it. Changing the rules wont change that.
To give an example of the suggestion in the current state:
I could be down at the dump sifting through the garbage mounds there looking for the diamond ring that got accidentally caught and placed in the trash or some obacure car part or antiquity to sell
Or
I could work an effective 9-5 job and just buy the exact things i want without diggin through the shit

Both styles are supported in the current game. You go ahead and turn off your own filter and play that way.

In regards to shaper or elder items I dont really think they should be sift-gated as that is utterly inefficient and quite boring to most (as evidenced by the replies here).

Spoiler
off topic, but continued:
The rich will always get ahead working together and using what tools are available. I get more than my fill each league and im by no means a big guild player or genious. Im smart with my crafts and investments. Most players arent. Ive already gotten plenty of good stuff this league and ill make my own gg gear this league. I dont need stupid amounts of currency tk do it, just effextive use of what i have or get.
Your example could be turned around and be equally "valid". If this all worked as outlined in the OP, you could still work your 9-5. Just play the faster way, still make ched, let sifters find what you want, and buy it from them. Easy.

The difference being it would give a revenue stream to the aforementioned slow, casual, off-meta players, where as the version currently implemented just lets sonic-speed players double up on their profit and efficiency.

p.s. Using 'as evidenced by some people on the forums' is a really really bad idea.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info