Am I the only one who thinks shaped/elder items should be hidden from filters?

"
GoldDragon32 wrote:
Holy crap, do you even play this game into maps? When you get into red maps with Sextants and stuff active, do you have any idea the flood of items that drop? It's balanced around 99.9% of them being trash unworthy to pick up - and you suddenly want us to have to pick it all up to find that one or two shaper items that drop in a map? I mean, jfc dude..... Loot filters not only exist, but have been integrated into the base game for a reason. I want to play POE to kill monsters, not play full time garbage sifter.

You and many others in the thread are wildly missing the point. How is having shaper/elder items show up as a big neon sign on loot filters be any different than letting filters do the same for 6x T1 prop rares?

Every yellow item you've picked up over all the years of playing you picked up and identified in the hopes that it was good. That's one of the big hooks of the genre. Your understanding, or lack thereof, of psychology doesn't change that.

"

And there goes the game. The "carrot" now drops as the occasional "carrot cake", iced, packaged, and ready to eat - booooooring.

This is the point. GGG have traded carrots for a 5,000 calorie cheesecake. Enjoy the richness while you can stand it, but you'll be left on the floor a month from now in the fetal position going "whyyyyyy???".
"
You and many others in the thread are wildly missing the point. How is having shaper/elder items show up as a big neon sign on loot filters be any different than letting filters do the same for 6x T1 prop rares?

Because Shaper/Elder Items have different mods available to them. You don't need to pick up a Belt with a T1 mod to roll a T1 mod, any belt of that type with a high enough ilv will do - you can't roll a Shaper/Elder mod unless it droped as a Shaper/Elder items. Shaper/Elder items basically function as a new base item type.
I'm aware of how they're coded to function. It's still a missed opportunity for a more meaningful item hunt, and a longer lasting experience than picking up next to no drops in an ARPG shoot-em-up.

If they were hidden to filters as run-of-the-mill rares, they could have been made more frequent, and with more frequent desirable rolls to compensate for the QoTF abusers and other short attention span kiddies who wouldn't dream of picking up a yellow item, as if they were on fire or caked in a layer of shit.
Your missed opportunity, if embraced, would lead to less engaging and crappy gameplay. THe amount of yellow items that drop in endgame is obscene. I really dont want to spend half my time picking up items, IDing, and tossing back on the ground. That is just not fun or enjoyable, and making it even more neccasary by upping the number or quality of shaper/elder drops just makes it more maditory while still being boring as hell. I get where the hate of zooming around at lightning speed offscreen killing everything; but forcing us to do constant mindless tedium chores is not the solution to that problem.
Well, build ur own filter, and eliminate for instance all except the top base items. that would already mean alot less stuff passing your filters.
Besides that, im already very happy that we have got a filter, it saves me alot of time. I still remember the game without it.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
sainthazard wrote:
You know, you could make your own filter that does exactly what you want whatever filter you're currently using to do.

Nope. You can't. Filters can't filter by what mods the items have. You can't, for instance, filter out jewelry without a max implicit.

But you can, unless I'm misunderstanding, filter in shaped/elder items, and therefore filter them out based on those qualities, can you not?

This is what OP is getting at.

Make a loot filter that doesn't tell you when an item is shaped/elder.
Identifying rares could only be a thing if there was an actual chance that the rares that drop are good. As of now, you just ID top bases, and probably not even those. So in order for your idea to work, they would have to cut drops by 90% and make the quality of drops better, something that I've been suggesting for probably over a year now.

Until then, the option to filter out the shaped items is absolutely essential. Everything else would just make me go mad.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:
Identifying rares could only be a thing if there was an actual chance that the rares that drop are good.

Rares can be good. I usual level one char to 92/93 each season, and in average I find one (ONE!) really good item each season. Good, not mirror-worthy.

Examples?
Last season:

Another seasons in the last days:

Each of these things trades for a double digit exalts number when I looked. I don't have a double digit exalt number since I don't trade.

Another problem with garbage are jewels: Whats godly for one char is utter crap for another. Good boots have a much wider range of usage.
"
sainthazard wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
sainthazard wrote:
You know, you could make your own filter that does exactly what you want whatever filter you're currently using to do.

Nope. You can't. Filters can't filter by what mods the items have. You can't, for instance, filter out jewelry without a max implicit.

But you can, unless I'm misunderstanding, filter in shaped/elder items, and therefore filter them out based on those qualities, can you not?

This is what OP is getting at.

Make a loot filter that doesn't tell you when an item is shaped/elder.

None of this is about filtering. It's about GGG allowing it to be filtered. It's about a chance to put the item hunt back into the game and slow people down.

How many people cry every patch over uniques being changed? Look at the core of the crying over Atziri's gloves being changed with vaal pact. The criticism you find in EVERY thread is 'omg there are no chase uniques left in this game'. Godly chase items should involve effort. Currently, to find a godly rare item, you have to stop to pick up and identify rare items. I can't help but laugh at people whose only argument is 'omg if items are good and my filter doesn't bash me over the head with sirens and fireworks, then how will I get them? USE MY IDENTIFY SCROLLS WTF NOOOOOOOO'.

It's a joke.
Your idea effectively changes the game from an ARPG to a landfill/sanitation worker job (no disrespect meant to members of those professions). In an ARPG, the idea is to kill things as fast as you can while occasionally hitting big on the slot machine. There should be a resistance to that speed, in the form of game mechanics, harder monsters or something more involved than sifting through garbage for a gem. The resistance you are describing sounds awful and it does exist in the game, for Warband drops. I don't see too many folks saying thank you GGG for letting me sift through unidentified items Warbands drop to get a chance at Warband only mods, and there is a reason for that.

Edit: I guess they drop pre-identified now. Nice QoL change GGG. Point still stands though. I don't recall anyone being happy about picking those items up back in the day.
Last edited by Nubatron on Dec 13, 2017, 4:04:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info