Trade API Delays

Just create an auction house and be done with it. Put your efforts into creating ways to stop bots from abusing trading.
Just delay everything by 60 seconds to the 3 sites that's whitelisted and block the rest.
There are absolutely no reason what so ever that private indexers should exist, it's more than fine with the 3 sites we have now. Focus more on a working API instead. There shouldn't even be a discussion about this. You're too kind.
"
Trancemaster wrote:
Just delay everything by 60 seconds to the 3 sites that's whitelisted and block the rest.
There are absolutely no reason what so ever that private indexers should exist, it's more than fine with the 3 sites we have now. Focus more on a working API instead. There shouldn't even be a discussion about this. You're too kind.

...do you realize that both the private indexers and the public sites use the exactly same API, right? Some people use the tools made by other people, other people use the public API to make their own tools. How is it 'too kind' to literally let people use the thing you made available? You have a serious case of cognitive dissonance.
"
LaplaceNoMa wrote:

...do you realize that both the private indexers and the public sites use the exactly same API, right? Some people use the tools made by other people, other people use the public API to make their own tools. How is it 'too kind' to literally let people use the thing you made available? You have a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

Of course he realizes that. He's saying there's no need for any third party tools or private indexers to have that data; nothing of value is created, just a bunch of random sniping tools that allow people profiteer off exploiting newbies before someone else gets to them.

There's no cognitive dissonance here: just because private tools access the same API doesn't mean they're at all good or necessary for the game.

I happen to agree. Just let everyone use the three largest trade sites and block the rest.
Last edited by Vortex_Magus on Dec 11, 2017, 9:47:05 PM
"
Vortex_Magus wrote:
"
LaplaceNoMa wrote:

Of course he realizes that. He's saying there's no need for any third party tools or private indexers to have that data; nothing of value is created, just a bunch of random sniping tools that allow people profiteer off exploiting newbies before someone else gets to them.

There's no cognitive dissonance here: just because private tools access the same API doesn't mean they're at all good or necessary for the game.

I happen to agree. Just let everyone use the three largest trade sites and block the rest.

You do realize that those 'three largest trade sites' are also 'third party tools', right? Both the 'private tools' and the 'public' tools are made the exactly same way; the only difference between them is that the former are not available to people who don't want to use the publicly available API to make their own tool, while the latter are available.

So basically what do we have:

- We have a system that was implemented by GGG, a system that can be used by literally anyone, no favoritism here
- There are three types of people: 1. those who use the system for themselves; 2. those who use the system for public tools; 3. those who only use the products of other people's work
- Surprisingly, just like it often happens with a bunch of commie millenials, the group '3' - the people who literally make nothing and only consume the work of others - feel entitled to decide who gets to be banned, what is fairness and things like that.

Let me tell you this: this is beyond retarded. If you can't use the existing system to create something of use, keep using the stuff that others make for you; you have absolutely zero grounds and moral right to decide what is good and what is bad, when we're talking about a fair system that allows anyone to obtain the same results.
"
Chris wrote:
"
enemymigs wrote:
:/ favoritism favoritism favoritism favoritism favoritism

What would you suggest we do?

In game trade system?

coughauctionhousecough
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
@LaplaceNoMa

The issue is not fairness. The issue is the hammering of the API servers. Under your rhetoric so far, I should be able to hammer the API with calls regarding a Gnarled Branch 10,000 times per second and they should just accept the traffic. The reasonable approach is to understand that limitations need to exist, and to then go about finding reasonable limitations. Regulation is not communism, it's there for a reason - without limiting access, the main trade sites, which serve 99% of the playerbase, are ground to a halt while private indexers hammer for specific items on a per-second basis.

If you support unrestricted access, you then support the DDOSing of the servers. There must be limitations for large systems to operate smoothly.

You are in the rural town, with miles of unrestricted dirt roads, complaining that the city has traffic lights.
Last edited by VexusOnTwitch on Dec 11, 2017, 10:43:13 PM
"
LaplaceNoMa wrote:
"
Vortex_Magus wrote:
"
LaplaceNoMa wrote:

You do realize that those 'three largest trade sites' are also 'third party tools', right? Both the 'private tools' and the 'public' tools are made the exactly same way; the only difference between them is that the former are not available to people who don't want to use the publicly available API to make their own tool, while the latter are available.

So basically what do we have:

- We have a system that was implemented by GGG, a system that can be used by literally anyone, no favoritism here
- There are three types of people: 1. those who use the system for themselves; 2. those who use the system for public tools; 3. those who only use the products of other people's work
- Surprisingly, just like it often happens with a bunch of commie millenials, the group '3' - the people who literally make nothing and only consume the work of others - feel entitled to decide who gets to be banned, what is fairness and things like that.

Let me tell you this: this is beyond retarded. If you can't use the existing system to create something of use, keep using the stuff that others make for you; you have absolutely zero grounds and moral right to decide what is good and what is bad, when we're talking about a fair system that allows anyone to obtain the same results.

You're telling us to realize and you're telling us whatever. I'm clearly stupid and entitled and I don't wanna argue with you at all cause how you see things are the only way. I knew that someone was going to say that the current whiteliested sites are 3rd party sites. But we are past that point already and we don't need any more. That's it.
I do understand you and your desire to have an open API. But no thanks, especially now when GGG has started with their own.
hand out api tokens to access the api without throttling, to everyone applying. revoke if abused (e.g. more stress than a "state of the art"-parser would cause - someone sharing its token or the likes). revoke anonymous access to the api / put a hard throttle limit on it, like 1 request every 10 seconds or whatever helps your servers, cannot pinpoint a bottleneck with limited knowledge.

a level playing field is where everyone has access to the same ressources, up to the user how to make use of them.

instead, refine the API. remove overhead, think about making it "event" based (adding an item, removing an item) instead of sending the overhead of the whole stashtab.

if poe.trade / poeapp / poe/trade lag behind while "private" indexers do not, this is NOT your responsibility (well, poe/trade certainly is, but you get what i'm saying), they have to buckle up to handle the load/stress.

No, i'm not running a ""sniping"" tool, but favouring certain "sites" is bad and you know it, hence the discussion.

tl;dr
remove api delay, refine API, hand out tokens / revoke on abuse to everyone applying.
"
Strained wrote:
The proposed plan is fine. Large sites get Whitelisted, newer tools/sites can become whitelisted once they've built up the trust of the community. A 60s delay isn't the end of the world, except to snipers.

The Trade API is a privilege, not a right.

Wtf, a 60s delay is huge. Can make or break finding an item.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info