Lootboxes and Gambling, plans for the future

1. You can literally wait and buy all box items in the shop 1 month after a new league starts (unless it said "exclusive/limited" in the box info").

2. Most ppl who buy the boxes are ppl who purchased supporter packs every league and have over 10k+ points left and nothing to buy because you know what i have literally almost every single item in the shop already. The boxes is the only way to spend the points.

3. China already has a method to get rid of duplicates. Guess they will implement it here aswell at some point.
"
Tr3Angel wrote:
3. China already has a method to get rid of duplicates. Guess they will implement it here aswell at some point.

I did not know that. What is their method, out of curiosity?

I find myself sitting on a buttload of duplicates due to my love (possible compulsion, for which I do not displace blame from myself) of gambling and I'm excited by the prospect of getting rid of them. I thought I was just sort of stuck with 5 of each boot and glove (more or less) and had accepted my fate.
"
TheAshmaker wrote:
False. It is gambling. The definition of gambling is:
Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome.

Doesn’t matter if its a net gain or not.

Just remove the boxes its scumbagish. Make the items available for purchase.

IMO, the ethical solution would be to allow direct purchase of the new loot box MTXs at a slight premium -say 25% more than what they will cost when they are released. That way if someone just really wanted a couple items, they could pay a little more and get them right away and not get a bunch of MTXs they don't want.

From a business standpoint, GGG should be wanting to discourage the pizza discount mentality, and encourage repeat MTX purchases. I think they need to shave a bit off the higher end items, and give a point bonus for purchasing larger packs at once. Instead of giving 50 Points for $5.00, 100 Points for $10.00 and 200 Points for $20.00, they should give 50/$5 110/$10 250/$20, and on supporter packs make all point purchases equal to the dollars spent - so you'd get 30 points for Vagabond, 60 for Seeker etc.

They could also do rewards for so many points spent within a 12 month period, or for example a completely random MTX reward for every 1000 points spent in the shop, and make some effort (say a "lucky" roll) to ensure it isn't a duplicate of one the player already has.

These are the kinds of things that make customers feel better about spending their money. Sales can be good too, but without any rhyme or reason to them, they don't generate any customer expectations. GGG would be much better off picking one day a week, and announcing all the sales for that week and let people choose any of the choices during that week period.

There's a reason that companies that bring in 20-90 billion dollars plus a year do things the way they do. Pricing models have been thoroughly explored. In GGG's case, their cost of product is all R&D. A potential dragon pet for instance costs the same to make no matter how many people buy it. The more they sell the higher their ROI is.

The only question for them, at what point do they reach individual customer saturation - where someone just can't justify spending any more. At whatever point a person has (whether it is $20 a year, $50 a league, or whatever their personal cap is) they are very unlikely to spend more. Giving something extra raises the value to the customer and raises this personal cap level. If it is just sales, people will just wait for a sale, and in the meantime guess what they do with their disposable income?

They spend it somewhere else.

GGG has a great game and a good model IMO, but they aren't just competing against themselves or even just against other games for customer's financial support.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Dec 11, 2017, 3:07:58 PM
I love the mystery boxes!
Can't wait for the next one

U MAD?

Also we're are talking about the COSMETIC ONLY ITEMS correct?? LOLOLOL
SSF since ~OB
Last edited by stonespeak on Dec 11, 2017, 8:28:11 PM
"
sainthazard wrote:
"
Tr3Angel wrote:

I find myself sitting on a buttload of duplicates due to my love (possible compulsion, for which I do not displace blame from myself) of gambling and I'm excited by the prospect of getting rid of them. I thought I was just sort of stuck with 5 of each boot and glove (more or less) and had accepted my fate.

Apparently you have to pay 20ish points more for each box and in return you can destroy the item to get a certain amount of points back if it's a duplicate.
"
Tr3Angel wrote:
"
sainthazard wrote:
"
Tr3Angel wrote:

Apparently you have to pay 20ish points more for each box and in return you can destroy the item to get a certain amount of points back if it's a duplicate.

Any news on that duplicate salvaging? Goes does it work spending 20points and how much you get in return?

Id be happy on real examples of that. Anyone speaks chinese and can find it?
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info