Stumbling around like a moron

So I got my marauder to 42 and just sorta got bored of it. I thought I would try a Templar. I looked at the skill tree and his beginning passives for casting are pretty god damn impressive. Ergo I decided to make a caster Templar.

I wanted to focus cold, and always wanted to use Ice Nova because that spell looks cool as shit and when I get a high crit rate it will be awesome. However as of right now I have hit a heavy roadblock in the form of the final boss in act 1. The mid-boss was also pretty tough but I managed to eventually pull off the kill without dying. Mer Veil (sp?) is a whole other world of difficulty. She doesnt seem to give the slightest fuck about any of my spells, regardless of the element. To top it off she brings me from full health to almost dead with every attack she is capable of and she spams everything.

This wasn't a problem on my marauder because I had a lot of life regen, an enormous health pool, and some LOH. But my templar doesnt have any of that. He cant have any of it as it isnt really available at his current level.

How the heck do casters ever get out of act 1? It just doesnt seem possible to beat her as it stands right now. I feel like I need 5 levels on her before I have a chance of victory.

This game is great, but it is slowly wearing me down. Every new class/build i try has some enormous drawback that makes it unfun. Every time I consult a build guide it is written with author assuming you have a stash full of the best gear in the game and fully leveled skill gems.

I wish someone would write a guide for people who dont have shit in the way of gear or currency.

Oh well, enough ranting. If someone has any insight as to how i can beat this boss please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I will grind the final areas of the act until I am level 20 or something.
You should be able to buy some cold resistance rings. Throw those on and the battle should be much easier.
As Dues said, definitely get a cold resist ring (maybe 2) from a vendor or drop. Then you can use an orb of transmutation to make it have additional stats like +life or other +resists. If it rolls 1 good stat you can add another one with Orb of Augmentation. If you do this you won't give any fu**s about her spells. Also, I advise to either get fire trap or bear trap. Both of these skills are awesome and do pretty decent single target dps.

How do you get these you ask? Make a ranger and grab fire trap from getting the medicine chest (lvl 4) and then go to the mud flats and pick up all the eggs and click on the wall thing to go to the lower passage (lvl 5 or 6) and then you get bear trap. Put them in your stash and log on your templar. This will help kill Merveil very quickly.

I hope this helps!

I might try and write something up for new people in your situation. Any ideas or things that you normally have trouble with?
Last edited by Phatman on Feb 27, 2013, 3:23:16 PM
I feel like if you can write a guide on a class/spec that can make it to the endgame without great difficulty or the need for epic gear and doesnt require a full respec at some point then you will have accomplished your goal.

It would be nice to be specific on what type of weapons, type of armor, and which skills the build is supposed to use. It would also be helpful to go over the strategy for beating act bosses.
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:
I feel like if you can write a guide on a class/spec that can make it to the endgame without great difficulty or the need for epic gear and doesnt require a full respec at some point then you will have accomplished your goal.

It would be nice to be specific on what type of weapons, type of armor, and which skills the build is supposed to use. It would also be helpful to go over the strategy for beating act bosses.

I feel like if you take the slight effort to look through the other threads WITH builds, you would have accomplished your goal...
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:

Here is what I've come up with so far - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/204743

Tell me what you think.
"

My build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/93967
IGN: YeahCrit

My Guides
Dual Claw Molten Strike Ranger HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1178252
Elmo Fire Templar HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/93967
"
loboSG wrote:
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:

I feel like if you take the slight effort to look through the other threads WITH builds, you would have accomplished your goal...

As i clearly stated before all the builds i see expect you to have a stash full of epics.
"
Phatman wrote:
"
Nonsensei436 wrote:

Here is what I've come up with so far - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/204743

Tell me what you think.

I think thats really good. Lots of tips I didn't know. Thanks for the effort.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info