Why can't they make pathing based Cyclone?

I've never played Cyclone because it feels horrible to have the character locked in the place while cycloning, and if I click near my char, it feels like I'm constantly lagging while cycloning.

I feel like I would be Cyclone's number one fan if they made it path oriented, like in Diablo, so it feels smooth while moving.

Is there anyone who has some insight in programming and can tell me why they are refusing to make cyclone follow your movement with the mouse? Too complicated, servers issue, lag, what?

I'm really curious.

Thanks
Last edited by Tank_The_Shredder_Evans on Nov 23, 2017, 3:51:06 PM
Last bumped on Nov 27, 2017, 4:05:49 PM
skill design. it's currently not supposed to work like you describe. thats all. And they introduced the cyclone pathfinding thingy recently, didn't they?

Cyclone is one of the most powerful and popular skills, and its pretty universal, for example it is usually an ideal skill for CoC or CoMK..
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Cyclone works great. Put cyclone on a keyboard key, and
move only on left click. Hold down cyclone key and move mouse,
do not press mouse key, it follows the cursor everywhere. Hit
move only key it stops cycloning and you walk.
"
I've never played Cyclone because it feels horrible to have the character locked in the place while cycloning, and if I click near my char, it feels like I'm constantly lagging while cycloning.

Is there anyone who has some insight in programming and can tell me why they are refusing to make cyclone follow your movement with the mouse? Too complicated, servers issue, lag, what?

For what it is worth, I agree with you on the "feel" of the skill. I just ... couldn't do it. I really tried, and it didn't work for me.

Anyway, my personal theory is that it just predates channeling skills entirely, and they have not gotten to updating it. Not least because it is relatively low return on investment in terms of player happiness.

OTOH, they recently changed that lightning spell that was a "pseudo-channel" into a real channel, shipping with 3.1, so ... hope exists. :)
Cyclone is bad and should feel bad. And so should everyone tho plays it.

#Grump

...more realistically, Cyclone is very old and has only recently gotten any sort of update at all. The game, and the gamemakers, have gotten better since the old days. Nevertheless, Cyclone is also balanced around the partial loss of control. If it worked the way you suggest, where you could freely leave or enter Cyclone whenever, they would probably have to remove its stun immunity at the least. At which point the billions of people who play Shitty Ugly Nonsensical Human Beyblade: The Skill would all immediately demand a reversion to the original form, and for good reason as the stun immunity is a huge draw to Cyclone.

So pick your poison ; stun-immune Cyclone that's limited to point-to-point movement, or replaces-walking Cyclone that's easier and smoother to play but would almost certainly lose its unique anti-stun defense.

In either case, you're a bad person and you should consider playing a skill that doesn't make babies weep, puppies whine, rainbows turn dark and sour and faeries to fall from the sky with broken wings.
"
Ludvator wrote:
skill design. it's currently not supposed to work like you describe. thats all. And they introduced the cyclone pathfinding thingy recently, didn't they?

Cyclone is one of the most powerful and popular skills, and its pretty universal, for example it is usually an ideal skill for CoC or CoMK..
That it is popular is BECAUSE it is powerful, and it being powerful is not a good reason for it to feel so bad to play with.

Standardise the attack speed so that it can't be gamed by moving different distances and does the same dps regardless, make a running attack timer so that you don't get any initial hit bonus for stopping and starting, and remove the need to move in straight lines that makes it so fucking clunky.

The skill design of cyclone in poe is awful. It's ridiculously easy to build around so it still gets used a shitload, it attacks a lot so it's great for triggering stuff, but that doesn't change that it works in an awful way.
"
So pick your poison ; stun-immune Cyclone that's limited to point-to-point movement, or replaces-walking Cyclone that's easier and smoother to play but would almost certainly lose its unique anti-stun defense.

I think it would feel cheapy and cheesy if it became a walking cyclone like a weapon base Blade Vortex.Attacking while moving is a powerful feature and needs a downside to compensate for this.

I actually like the feel of Cyclone because you learn how to use it best and adapt to it like you do when learning to ride a bike (and not topple over).

For people arguing that it would be overpowered - sure, it would be better, but very slightly in my opinion.

It's just a quality of life for me - to not feel choppy and constantly be under stress because I'm keeping watch on how far away from my character I pointed the mouse.

If they're really that concerned with balance, ok, give it base damage nerf, remove stun immunity altogether, no problem - Kaom's roots, Unwavering passive, lots of life - all options that cyclone builds could use very easily.

10 percent less damage and you more than compensated for it.

But then again, we're talking about the game and company which keeps Elemental hit and Glacial hammer in state it is for years. Cyclone is actually played as is, so I think it's on the bottom of their priority list. Unfortunately.
"
For people arguing that it would be overpowered - sure, it would be better, but very slightly in my opinion.

It's just a quality of life for me - to not feel choppy and constantly be under stress because I'm keeping watch on how far away from my character I pointed the mouse.

If they're really that concerned with balance, ok, give it base damage nerf, remove stun immunity altogether, no problem - Kaom's roots, Unwavering passive, lots of life - all options that cyclone builds could use very easily.

But then again, we're talking about the game and company which keeps Elemental hit and Glacial hammer in state it is for years. Cyclone is actually played as is, so I think it's on the bottom of their priority list. Unfortunately.

For one, Glacial Hammer is actually quite playable. Niche-y, not a mainstream skill by any means, but it can be done.

For two? Turning Cyclone into a channel (which is basically what you're suggesting - remove the set, point-to-point behavior and instead have it follow a held-down mouse button with an indefinite duration) sounds like a nothing no-brainer QoL change...but it actually changes almost everything there is about the skill.

The mana cost would need to be completely recalculated because you're paying an ongoing channel instead of a single-shot whack of mana to go from A to B, as with every other standard movement skill.

The skill's actual, mechanical behavior, what it does in-game, would be a complete rewrite. You can't take an A-to-B movement skill with a fixed behavioral pattern and turn it into an undefined-length, undefined-distance channel skill by flipping one Boolean switch in the code somewhere. The 'How_Cyclone_Works" code in the game engine would most likely need to be ripped out and redone completely.

The skill's performance - its damage/DPS figures, its movement speed, its Stun immunity, all the stuff about it that players get to fiddle with - would need to be recalculated and rebalanced to account for the fact that Cyclone could be aborted at any time, rather than locking the player into an animation cycle. The numbers could turn out to be very similar - or it could turn out that Cyclone with an 'Off' switch is disgustingly overpowered. It's hard to really know what the impact of allowing players to back out of Cyclone mid-motion would be.

This isn't a "quick tweak" suggestion. It would be a total rebuild of Cyclone, which is currently one of the most popular melee (well. "Melee") skills in the game, a very powerful option that a very large number of players are deeply invested in. Wonky mechanics, horrible visuals, nauseating concept and all.

The old saw "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. Cyclone, currently, works fine and sees lots of use. If they fixed it - an effort which has been explicitly stated as taking just as much time and development resources as doing a new skill entirely - they'd have no idea if people would get on board, or angrily demand the old Cyclone back and invalidate all their work.

So much easier to just make a new channeled movement skill of some sort that doesn't suck as hard as Charged Dash, ne?
"
1453R wrote:
"

For one, Glacial Hammer is actually quite playable. Niche-y, not a mainstream skill by any means, but it can be done.

For two? Turning Cyclone into a channel (which is basically what you're suggesting - remove the set, point-to-point behavior and instead have it follow a held-down mouse button with an indefinite duration) sounds like a nothing no-brainer QoL change...but it actually changes almost everything there is about the skill.

The mana cost would need to be completely recalculated because you're paying an ongoing channel instead of a single-shot whack of mana to go from A to B, as with every other standard movement skill.

The skill's actual, mechanical behavior, what it does in-game, would be a complete rewrite. You can't take an A-to-B movement skill with a fixed behavioral pattern and turn it into an undefined-length, undefined-distance channel skill by flipping one Boolean switch in the code somewhere. The 'How_Cyclone_Works" code in the game engine would most likely need to be ripped out and redone completely.

The skill's performance - its damage/DPS figures, its movement speed, its Stun immunity, all the stuff about it that players get to fiddle with - would need to be recalculated and rebalanced to account for the fact that Cyclone could be aborted at any time, rather than locking the player into an animation cycle. The numbers could turn out to be very similar - or it could turn out that Cyclone with an 'Off' switch is disgustingly overpowered. It's hard to really know what the impact of allowing players to back out of Cyclone mid-motion would be.

This isn't a "quick tweak" suggestion. It would be a total rebuild of Cyclone, which is currently one of the most popular melee (well. "Melee") skills in the game, a very powerful option that a very large number of players are deeply invested in. Wonky mechanics, horrible visuals, nauseating concept and all.

The old saw "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind. Cyclone, currently, works fine and sees lots of use. If they fixed it - an effort which has been explicitly stated as taking just as much time and development resources as doing a new skill entirely - they'd have no idea if people would get on board, or angrily demand the old Cyclone back and invalidate all their work.

So much easier to just make a new channeled movement skill of some sort that doesn't suck as hard as Charged Dash, ne?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with almost everything you just said.

It would almost be a new skill. Before your message I had hope that something would change, but seeing all of your arguments, I doubt that will happen.

YOu destroyed my hopes, I hope you're happy. :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info