Help. I cannot talk to Lily after killing the end boss act 9

I am a new player, working on my first time through the game. Tonight I worked my way from where Sin has made the opening into the Beast, through all the levels to where 3 portals open. I killed the 3 monsters inside the 3 portals, then went in to kill the final boss. I killed him, but I died immediately.

At this point I was suddenly in a completely different place. I could see Lily and somebody else standing there, the pile of loot the boss had dropped when he died, some plants around the edges and a couple of pipes on the left pouring out looked like blood. I was given two options, resurrect in town, or at the checkpoint. I chose checkpoint, and was back in the room with the dead boss on the ground, and no way to get out of the room except teleport back to town. Of course I immediately went back to the closest waypoint to that fight, but all the instances between there and the dead boss had reset, and the quest no longer said to talk to Lily, but that the quest had reset to meet Sin at the Black Core.

I tried a second time, fought though all the levels reached the 3 portals, killed the 3 monsters, killed the final boss, and died again as he was dying. Same result.

I am now back, after completing the quest twice, and the point of having to do it a third time. I will not do it a third time. If I cannot continue on to the next phase of the game if I happen to die again after killing the final boss in this quest, then I will have to put the game down.

Can anyone tell me how to continue the game when this happens?
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2017, 2:27:40 PM
Did your char really die at the end of both fights or did you misread the "cutscene" as a rip?

Im asking because after beating act9 boss, you´ll be ported out of the arena automatically and you can talk to Lilly and her granddad Weylum (?) and sail for the final act.
Thats how its supposed to work.

I wonder what happens, if you die at the same as the boss.
That might cause some trouble as you described. Solution would be "to not die" when the fight ends :)
And thats why Im asking, if your char really died or did you mistake it as a rip?

Never had this issue.
Just dont die at the end of the fight and you should bee good to go.
I appreciate the reply.

I did actually die. I could do nothing in the scene with Lily and Wynam except select to resurrect. That box was popped up in the middle of the screen.

I suppose if I was not a new player and level 67 was not my highest (and only character in the double figures), and I had plenty of currency, had actually seen and knew how they worked all the skill gems in the game, had fought the bosses before, I could maybe survive the boss fights intact.

I did find the solution however, and it's a pretty stupid solution.

I never got to pick up loot from this boss. I missed one unique item on one fight. I never got to talk to Lily.

I logged out of the game. When I logged back in, Act 10 was available, and the quest was finished in Act 9.

They need to fix it so if you die in that room, there is a way to get back to the room then port to whever that cut scene is. This is a less than optimal situation. This is something I would expect in a Blizzard game (sorry, I know that is a terrible insult to GGG, but it's the truth).

I'm OK with the resolution of the situation, but think it should be addressed by GGG and reworked.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info