So, will any new major patches give us more intelligent mobs?

The mobs do what is needed for what they do. i.e the mages attack you from afar, the cc mobs charge in (goatmen anyone).

Would you prefer if the goatmen's pack size was reduced to say 10% they fail some kind of "moral check" then run away. I can promise you that would just give you the shits as for the most part the surviving monster would be a rare. there you are mapping away killing all but the rares because you are speeding though it blindly so you leave behind a dozen rares. suddnenly those dozens rares band together and attack you at once. Sounds cool sure but the reality of it is two fold.

The frustration at the game would go up thus enjoyability would go down
The developement time to rewrite (just guessing here) 500+ mobs AI, then testing said changes would be much higher then you would think thus impacting the future of the game.

Hope that makes sense. it does in my head.
In this kind of games, mobs can't really be intelligent.
What annoys me, however, is that they are way dumber than before.
In the past, when they couldn't reach the player, they moved back, stayed out of sight. Now, they just more towards the player, than line up at whatever obstacle in an orderly line to be shot.
Even if the obstacle could be walked around.
They clearly lost the little "intellect" they had, so I assume there were performance reasons involved or something.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Right now and forever the creatures/humans of Wraeclast and now Oriath are the dumbest of the dumb. They blindly charge at my exile without a second of hesitation or thought that I just killed a dozen of their own kind who just blindly charged in. If direct assault is not working for them they should at least think twice about doing the same.

But I do understand that coding a game (any game) so that the NPCs have any kind of AI is quite complex. but GGG should at least do more than blind charging or running away.

You do realize, that GGG did cut back the pathfinding AI to save server performance recently?

If they cant make the mobs walk around in a smart way without ruining the server performance, what on earth makes you think its a reasonable expectation GGG could or should make the mobs act in a smart way?
"
Arrowneous wrote:

Other games having zero NPC AI is never a valid reason for GGG not having any/some AI in PoE. Let's see now... all my brother and sister Lemmings are running in that direction off the cliff (to their deaths) so I should be brain dead and do the same. Sounds ok to me... NOT!!!

No, you got me all wrong! ;)

I meant that I get surprised by actual AI in other *RPGs, since I am used to PoE.
Perception is reality.
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
In this kind of games, mobs can't really be intelligent.
What annoys me, however, is that they are way dumber than before.
In the past, when they couldn't reach the player, they moved back, stayed out of sight. Now, they just more towards the player, than line up at whatever obstacle in an orderly line to be shot.
Even if the obstacle could be walked around.
They clearly lost the little "intellect" they had, so I assume there were performance reasons involved or something.

I also noticed that they stopped running away out of clear disadvantage positions like before and often become confused by simple obstacles.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info