So, will any new major patches give us more intelligent mobs?

Right now and forever the creatures/humans of Wraeclast and now Oriath are the dumbest of the dumb. They blindly charge at my exile without a second of hesitation or thought that I just killed a dozen of their own kind who just blindly charged in. If direct assault is not working for them they should at least think twice about doing the same.

But I do understand that coding a game (any game) so that the NPCs have any kind of AI is quite complex. but GGG should at least do more than blind charging or running away. Warbands had a better unpredictability to their movements and thus were a better challenge and more fun to kill.

EDIT: Here's one example

Vagan daily in which I just AFK SR the dummys to which he always says something blah, blah, blah about my mother and he inexplicably just ran behind the right column and stood there doing nothing. I could have just been there all day if I wanted to. Super stupid and less than zero intelligence.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 17, 2017, 9:25:53 AM
Last bumped on Oct 19, 2017, 9:24:28 AM
Everytime I take a break from PoE and decided to play any other *RPG I get that "oh shit" moment when I realize mobs are not braindead here. ;)
Perception is reality.
No, i don't want trash mobs to give me a challenge i want to clear the map
"
CAPSLOCK_ON wrote:
No, i don't want trash mobs to give me a challenge i want to clear the map

But just racing though maps (ala Strand < 2 mins. before patch 3.0) is breaking this game. If GGG were to code mobs with some real AI then that would slow down the time to complete the map which GGG wants anyway so they would like that and give everyone a better overall challenge. If the slower map clears results in racers taking longer to reach level 100 then that is also what GGG wants.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

No thank you. If the trash mobs were actually smart, we'd never get to progress quickly at end-game in a challenge league. Too much high burst damage at higher level content. Only if the damage wasn't boosted so much would I say sure, I'd welcome it. But because of the nature of PoE and what we have right now: no.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
You would simply learn how to beat the new AI and come back and complain it wasn't good enough... or you couldn't beat it and you would complain about that.

They're smart enough not to break the illusion... sometimes.

I thought about this last time I played where I wiped a group of 20+ sea witch spawn down to a single mob and it followed me and kept attacking... doing no noticeable damage. I let it peck at me for 10-20 seconds just to see if it would change it's approach. Nope.
"
widardd wrote:
Everytime I take a break from PoE and decided to play any other *RPG I get that "oh shit" moment when I realize mobs are not braindead here. ;)

Other games having zero NPC AI is never a valid reason for GGG not having any/some AI in PoE. Let's see now... all my brother and sister Lemmings are running in that direction off the cliff (to their deaths) so I should be brain dead and do the same. Sounds ok to me... NOT!!!

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
No thank you. If the trash mobs were actually smart, we'd never get to progress quickly at end-game in a challenge league. Too much high burst damage at higher level content. Only if the damage wasn't boosted so much would I say sure, I'd welcome it. But because of the nature of PoE and what we have right now: no.

GGG would just need to buff the xp in the challenge league. But with top players in the podcasts stating that they can get to level 90 in 24 hrs. (maybe boasting but most likely true... with 3.0 many had raced through 10 acts in < 48 hrs.) and then the push to 100 is another week or so (I guess possible if they have enough support players feeding them gear and red maps) having better AI to slow down the racing to 100 and then in 1 month "the challenge league is boring and dead" would/should be something GGG would want.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You would simply learn how to beat the new AI and come back and complain it wasn't good enough... or you couldn't beat it and you would complain about that.

They're smart enough not to break the illusion... sometimes.

I thought about this last time I played where I wiped a group of 20+ sea witch spawn down to a single mob and it followed me and kept attacking... doing no noticeable damage. I let it peck at me for 10-20 seconds just to see if it would change it's approach. Nope.

In real wars it took quite a long time for us "intelligent" humans to finally stop marching in long lines at each other only to be cannon fodder (and die quickly) so what chance does a game coder have in figuring out how to make the npcs not do that. But still it would be nice if GGG could do something to make the melee creatures not blindly charge in and die. With my trapper build I can clearly see the fire traps that will explode upon being stepped on so you'd think that at least the humans would know not to step on one once they saw that others doing so caused an explosion and death. I can understand the stupid Rhoa's and other un-intelligent creatures not knowing any better but the humans... come on now.

Lol, how do you imagine the manifestation of their intelligence if they are insta-gibbed at sight? Should they say something like "don't kill me plz i have wife and 5 small children!"?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info