how much chaos resistance in the endgame?

after hours searching the internet, i came to the following conclusion:

chaos resistance is not important when you play the game story, regardless if you have an armour- or an evasion-rating-build, but in the endgame it's a must have resistance.

now the question is how much chaos resistance is needed in the endgame and so far i found different answers to it. Some people say 0% are just fine, some others say at least +20%. There are also players who even suggest +40% ...

i would like to know how much chaos resistance in what build-cases you would suggest based on your experience.

thx in advance
Last bumped on Oct 18, 2017, 5:15:02 AM
Depends on the build and the league I'd say. In softcore you can have no chaos resist (so -60% in total) and be fine becaue chaos damage often comes in the form of dot/degen that you can ignore with your leech or regen, and if you happen to die to one strong chaos damage enemy (like the Overgrown Ruin Warband bosses) it's not the end of the world. An exception would be if you're an ES-based character who doesn't use Shav's or Chaos Inoculation, then you may want to get some chaos resist regardless, but those builds aren't super popular last I checked.

In HC I think it's different, I recently made a HC character and I chose to get 60% (so 0% total) chaos resist and I might try to push up to 25-30% because I really don't want to die to some random chaos snake pack and I found they were hurting me a LOT even in low-tier maps like Jungle Valley. Chaos constructs (which you'll find in maps like Vaal Pyramid or Apex of Sacrifice (normal Atziri)) can also be super rippy when there are 6+ of them machinegunning you at once.

But that's just my opinion, I'm not exactly an expert at this game. Keep in mind if you found older threads by googling that before 3.0 the player's hideout didn't show the resist penalties, so people saying 0% might be talking about -60% total.
Last edited by Wendek on Oct 15, 2017, 6:42:19 AM
Building my character in Harbringer league i made a hybrid specter summoner focused on capping chaos resistance cause I was curious about going low life without a shav's and so far mt goal worked. I would only suggest going for max chaos resistance if your plan is to wield a midnight barign and consider the specter as a aura. But i can agree some people play the game with -60% chaos resistance and use other mean's of defense either it's leach or regen.

For me personally I wanted to be as tanky as possible to chaos degen/dmg so I focused on capping it and using vitality aura for any over degen of posion stacks. So far im really happy with how I tackled my build. If your curious take a look at TerrorLyeesia in my character profile and you should get an idea of my passive tree and gear choice's.
Last edited by lyeesia on Oct 15, 2017, 11:12:34 AM
thx for the replies. it looks like i dont have to worry very much about chaos resistance, since i play sc.
-60%

I do always have one of these along side my instant flask tho

for dots/sustained incoming damage in general.

I have builds that have some chaos resist, but its just something that happens. I have a hybrid life + es + armour gear set that I use with lightning spells that has about 20% positive chaos res, there was no real intention behind it, it just happened to be on 3 or 4 bits of the gear and the character using it tends to get the life + chaos res passives in templar.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info