I play leagues... slowly

I'm looking forward to hitting 90 tonight with my only character in the Harbinger league. I think I'm at 70% to 90 right now. This is actually one of the fastest league character leveling I've done. And with melee too.

Feel free to ridicule how slow I am, lol.

I know the 1% (really less than 1%, proven by GGG's public stats each league), including many of those on the forums, are already done with Harbinger at 2 months into it.

But this thread isn't as much about me as it is about the unrepresented masses who enjoy PoE, but don't progress as quickly as those who are at 40 or high 30-something challenges right now. So what about you? Still enjoying Harbinger league? Or hate the league (or feel it's boring like me), but still enjoy completing challenges?

So while most everyone of clout within my guild is taking a break until the next league, I'm still busy churning out challenges... again, slowly. While people are rolling 2nd and 3rd characters I'm still on my 1st, grinding away. And while most of the rota grouping and buzz in global 820 is slowing down, I'm still churning away. While most are logged off after reaching their Harbinger goals... I'm still churning away. Slowly.

I usually get a decent amount of gaming time a week, averaging may be 1 to 3 hours a day, with several missed days each month. Sometimes I'll even get a 4 hour stretch of gaming time on my better days. Yet that's a gaming marathon to me. I used to do the all night gaming marathons... two decades ago.

But the real kicker is that I don't use my gaming time as efficiently as I could. Why? Because I actually enjoy full clearing maps and picking up more trash loot than the 1%. Sure, when crunch time rolls around I'll switch my loot filter and pick up a LOT less. But I don't feel rushed yet. I'm sure I'll feel that way when grinding the 1337 bosses (twinned racecourse is helpful). But for now, I enjoy my gaming pace more than I enjoy completing another challenge. Patience? Or just lazy? Meh, it's whatever is fun to me. :-)

Who else is in the same boat?
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Oct 9, 2017, 4:35:34 PM
Last bumped on Oct 11, 2017, 8:23:34 AM
for your first toon almost at 90 rn is kind of slow but your 25 challenge isn't bad tho! ^^

then again my highest is only 87 which is fine really high enough to do all content (if i builded it for that :')) challenges i don't really care for since mtx i already have is better than what i could get:P
so basicly just grinding and making alts xd still having fun tho ^^

kind of feel pity for the 40/40 people out there bored out of their asses xd they might be rich and they might completed the challenges but some of us still have fun at it xd
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
I'm starting to get bored myself. The last couple of weeks I've been screwing around with weird builds, just for the lulz. I believe Chris Wilson once said that MOST players don't even get to maps. That was probably the reason they reworked the acts. I guess people would finish act 4 normal and think, "OK I beat it. On to the next game."
"
satanttin wrote:
for your first toon almost at 90 rn is kind of slow but your 25 challenge isn't bad tho! ^^

Thanks. Yeah, getting to 90 for this character has been slow. Melee always means more deaths for me unless I'm paying near perfect attention all the time. And it's never dying to bosses, where I actually pay attention, it's always to the trash I'm clearing and happen upon a really bad bloodline combo, or a tormented spirit possession I'm not paying close enough attention to at any given moment. In contrast, my level 94 in Legacy was ranged, and very few deaths. Ranged is almost always safer with clearing, but not always safer with bosses in closed areas.

In contrast, when I started PoE in 2015, It took me many, many months to get to my first 90. Then again, I didn't bother mapping much past tier 8 with her, mostly because I enjoyed mindless grinding and there was little incentive for me to map higher (way before Atlas, and that character was in standard).
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Oct 9, 2017, 4:34:28 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
satanttin wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, getting to 90 for this character has been slow. Melee always means more deaths for me unless I'm paying near perfect attention all the time. And it's never dying to bosses, where I actually pay attention, it's always to the trash I'm clearing and happen upon a really bad bloodline combo, or a tormented spirit possession I'm not paying close enough attention to at any given moment. In contrast, my level 94 in Legacy was ranged, and very few deaths. Ranged is almost always safer with clearing, but not always safer with bosses in closed areas.

In contrast, when I started PoE in 2015, It took me many, many months to get to my first 90. Then again, I didn't bother mapping much past tier 8 with her, mostly because I enjoyed mindless grinding and there was little incentive for me to map higher (way before Atlas, and that character was in standard).
yeah i hear ya melee can be a bitch xd and true random trash can be stronger than a boss sometimes when they come in nasty packs or op rares xd my highest i have so far is 89 normally reroll when i reach 85ish :') thinking about getting to atleast 90 next league just so i can say i have a level 90 toon lel
Once I get to 90, I plan on tackling the map challenges, all the way up to 8-mod tier 15. No interest in risking 10% hits before level 90 with those end-game maps. Just rollin' tier 10 and 11 until then.
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
Once I get to 90, I plan on tackling the map challenges, all the way up to 8-mod tier 15. No interest in risking 10% hits before level 90 with those end-game maps. Just rollin' tier 10 and 11 until then.

just farm maps without the bosses till 90 then do the challenges to be extra save :P is probably what i would do xd
"
satanttin wrote:
my highest i have so far is 89 normally reroll when i reach 85ish :') thinking about getting to atleast 90 next league just so i can say i have a level 90 toon lel

I'm thinking the same thing for a level 100 in standard. But damn, standard is boring, lol. Atlas makes it more interesting, but grinding much past around 92 is somewhere between 'mildly enjoyable' and 'painful' on the boredom scale.

You should have no problems getting to 90, with tier 12 or lower maps. My favorite for ranged is just grinding out Chateau. For melee, my favorite has been Underground River. After 90 ranged, Plaza map was the most enjoyable for me, because the boss was safe at ranged and a rather quick kill.

"
satanttin wrote:
just farm maps without the bosses till 90 then do the challenges to be extra save :P is probably what i would do xd

I hate wasting another boss or two towards the 1337 challenge, lol. And the chance to drop a +1 or +2 tier map. None of the bosses are tough tier 11 and earlier anyways, as it's always trash that counts for my deaths.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Oct 9, 2017, 4:47:07 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
I'm looking forward to hitting 90 tonight with my only character in the Harbinger league. I think I'm at 70% to 90 right now. This is actually one of the fastest league character leveling I've done. And with melee too.

Hurrah! Grats :)

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
But this thread isn't as much about me as it is about the unrepresented masses who enjoy PoE, but don't progress as quickly as those who are at 40 or high 30-something challenges right now. So what about you? Still enjoying Harbinger league? Or hate the league (or feel it's boring like me), but still enjoy completing challenges?

You think this League is boring? :\

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
But the real kicker is that I don't use my gaming time as efficiently as I could. Why? Because I actually enjoy [...] whatever is fun to me. :-)

Well, it's hard to criticize taste (unless it's egregious & it's an offense to you). I feel like the objective of play is hard to dictate (unless someone is looking for guidance). Some people like challenging themselves to be excellent; some people don't care how well they do, so long as they enjoy it while they're doing it. There might be some mixture, too.

But I'm glad you're comfortable not conforming to some idea of what play should be when you clearly have what play should be for you figured out.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
bwam wrote:
You think this League is boring? :\

Yeah, it's a bit boring. But it's still a league with challenges, so that's what I enjoy doing. Running through the 3.0 content was still worth doing the league for sure. Compared to Prophecy or Legacy, yeah, not nearly as fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info