How to make PVP more popular?

Everyone has mentioned skill rework. It is very true, to enhance/balance PvP, we would need a lot of skill rework. I have played PvP in every temp league that I participated in, and it is extremely easy to top 10 with a simple 1-1.5 exalt blast rain or barrage build. There are a few people getting away with flicker, chaos damage, mines etc. But it is not truly diverse.

Skills are not the only problem. Gear is a HUGE component of PvP in every game. In PoE all you need is a well-rolled 6L Tora's bow. Rest is all to taste. Typically around halfway through the league the dedicated PvPers have their T1 gear all 6L and ready to go. This SUCKS for anyone who isn't geared up the same.

I propose that if GGG really wants to up the PvP game, they need to introduce PvP specific uniques. A whole slew of level 28 gears and weapons and their counterparts at level 85. Every PvP intensive game has dedicated PvP gear with bonuses that only affect you in PvP combat and truly up your game. You can be awarded with bound to account honor splinters. Collect enough splinters you can turn it into a Honor coin. Leo can get a new vendor tab with PvP gear. Or instead of honor coins, make it a map device item like the reliquary keys. You enter a special room and open a chest. 1-3 random pieces of PvP gear fall out. Personally I like the reliquary-esque idea better, but players are probably more familiar with PvP vendors.

This will give PvPers something to strive for, outside of a simple 6L rare and some filler gear. Having a true reward might also bring more players in. 3v3 and 6v6 PvP would be loads of fun if the queue didn't take hours to fill up. Adding something to strive for brings players in. Additionally, people can run in their current gear until they get the good PvP uniques, and then we are all on par with each other, making it more skill and player-skill based.

They should not be "Set" uniques that buff a single skill while you are wearing 3-5 of the set. That would be ridiculous in a game like PoE with hundreds of different skills. Continue the style of Elemental/physical/chaos, melee/ranged, attack/spell, 1h/2h. Providing gear to increase the damage reduction will draw out the games a little more, introducing more player-skill into the game. Getting 1-shot is not fun. Even playing games where you decimate someone the first two rounds so horrifically that they leave, is not fun.

It would take a lot of man-hours to cover all the bases, but I truly believe that is the only way we are going to find true balance and a revival in PvP.
KMGL Guild: /3193350
twitch.tv/AethrozTV

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info