Increased Damage

So when my skill deals 170% of base damage, do other increase damage act as a multiplier or additively to the 170%?

what about increased damage taken, wither 21% increased chaos damage taken and vulnerability curse 33% increased over time taken?
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2017, 7:19:48 PM
If your skill deals 170% of base damage that's its new base and all calcs go from there, so it's a multiplier, right.

Increases to the same number add together, so two increases to damage taken will stack as usual.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 20, 2017, 4:27:40 AM
what about increases from equipment? Because we see the changes immediately, e.g. 100 energy shield with 20% increased energy shield, so it shows 120 blue.
If I then have 40% increased ES from my tree will it become 60% increased ES, for 160 ES total? Or will then multiply 1.4 * 120 = 168
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stat

Very good explanation.

"
Arandur wrote:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stat

Very good explanation.

This just got me more confused. It sounds contradictory at times what they are saying. But that might be because it never really states what is local and what is global.

Will you ever have anything in your passive skill tree that is global unless stated otherwise?

If someone can explain my energy shield question might be a good start for me to start understanding it.

Thanks guys, and sorry for my lack of understanding.
Increases on equipment are local, if they can apply to the stats the item has (increased energy shield on energy shield armors, evasion on evasion armors and so on). Same goes for physical damage, critical strike chance and attack speed on weapons. This is a general rule tho, as some of these does not apply locally: increased elemental damage on weapons (these are global).

In other words: it is confusing and needs a lot of research to figure out. Just ask questions here or try doing research on wiki. Both work. :P

All passive skill tree bonuses are global. This means that if you have an energy shield with 100 base ES which has 50% increased energy shield on that shield and three nodes 10% increased energy shield from passive skill tree, you will have:

100 * 1,5 (100% base + 50% increased local on shield)= 150 base energy shield on your shield item

150 * 1,3 (100% base + 10% + 10% + 10% = 130% of base) = 195 energy shield in total (remember that every character has non-zero int stat, and having int increases your energy shield, meaning you'll always have more than the number I stated)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Sep 21, 2017, 2:24:59 AM
Thank you that was really helpful.

Since you brought up critical strike why is there increased global critical strike WHILE wielding a staff? According to wiki it is already global when it uses the word WHILE anyways.

Also if you have the word WITH bow, is it local or global? Or maybe global for bow skills?

and the 88% increased critical strike of the ICS support gem, is it added to the local of the weapon?

are all support gem increases considered local for that matter, almost as if they were part of the weapon used? Or are they added with global increases, but just for the skill?
Last edited by ruivocanadense on Sep 21, 2017, 4:09:17 AM
Crit strike is something more special, than the rest^^

Check the wiki for it once again.

In fact, spells have their own base crit chance, as well as weapons.

So, if your using a staff and you specc into/use a gem with "global crit with staffs", it's increasing your crit chance with both, attacks and spells, while using a staff.

If you're using a bow for example, and you socket "Fireball" in it,the crit chance of the bow does nothing for your fireball critchance.
Increses in "crit chance", "global crit chance" and "incresed crit chance with X" is allways countet towards both, spell and weapon crit chance.
They just have different bases.

So casting a 5% base-crit chance spell while wielding a 8% base-crit chance bow results in having 5% + XY crit chance.

The formula for crit ist like the following:

Crit Strik Chance = (Base Crit + Additional Crit Chance) * (1 + Increased Crit Strike Chance).

Example:

You have a bow with 6% base, you have a gem with +1% additional chance and specced into 4 notes giving you +12% increased crit strike chance with bows each.

-> (6% [base] + 1% [additional]) * (1 + (0,12*4 [increased]) = 10,36%
I understand how crit chance works mostly. My problem is figuring out the calculation deriving from what is local and global.

bow
If you have 5% increased critical strike with bow
increased 50% in bow (local?), shows as 7.5% in weapon already

support skill gem
add 1% critical (local?)
increased 100% (global?)

passive skill tree
increased 100% (global)
increased 100% with bow (global)

ice golem
increased 33% (global?)
end with

Calculation:
weapon
5*1.5=7.5

support skill gem add
7.5+1=8.5

global
8.5 * (1+(100%+100%+100%+33%)=
8.5 * 4.33 = 36.8 % crit chance

Is that correct? or one of these globals was supposed to acted locally in the weapon or something?
Your math is correct, yes.

The only "local" thing is increased crit strike on weapons and support skills.

If you have a bow with +50% crit on it, it counts for the bow and therefore for attacks you use with the bow, but not for spells! Because your crit chance with the bow is not the base crit chance for your spell. The spell has it's own crit chance!

Support gems like increased crit chance support the linked spell/attack and therefor acts as a "increased" modifier like the ones in your skilltree.

In fact, just the base crit chance is important.

Am I using an attack? Yes! --> base crit of weapon + added/increased.
Am I using a spell? Yes! --> base crit of spell + added/increased.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info