Path of Exile VS Linux

In a word... NO (never going to happen).

If GGG were to want to expand OS platforms they would make PoE Vulkan complient and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. That being to improve graphics performance with a lower overhead graphics API and gain Linux compatibility. Since Vulkan is an AMD API that would leave nVidia graphics hardware out so it will never happen.

GGG is not a big enough company. If you have played D3 and killed Diablo and then get to the end credits after the end cinematic video they are as long as a Hollywood movie. GGG only has somewhere around 100 full time employees so no way they will ever be able to expand beyond Windows OS. GGG should officially drop 32-bit OS compatibility and update the minimum hardware specs to be 64-bit Windows 7 or higher, quad-core cpu @ 3 GHz, and 4 GB ram. GGG should also work out the damn bugs in DX11 so it will run on AMD GPU and drop DX9 completely. If GGG can't get PoE to run stable on DX11 AMD Crimson then they'll never move beyond DirectX which means Microsoft OS only.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Kellog wrote:

Not that small. They currently have ~100 employees and have/are porting to console(s). They just need to add Vulkan support instead of/in addition to DX12. That way GGG can cover future Sony ports and make Linux easier.

That's still a small-to-medium company, and when comparing to other AAA title studios, they are really small. Also their NZ-based requirement certainly doesn't help with finding devs.
But you're right Vulkan would be the path forward.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
In a word... NO (never going to happen).

If GGG were to want to expand OS platforms they would make PoE Vulkan complient and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. That being to improve graphics performance with a lower overhead graphics API and gain Linux compatibility. Since Vulkan is an AMD API that would leave nVidia graphics hardware out so it will never happen.

While Vulkan is derived from AMD's Mantle, it is not an AMD API. They handed it over fully to Khronos, which is a consortium of Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Valve and many others. Nvidia supports Vulkan.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
GGG should officially drop 32-bit OS compatibility and update the minimum hardware specs to be 64-bit Windows 7 or higher...
and drop DX9 completely.

That two aspects are mutually exclusive: dropping DX9 also 'drops' Windows < 10.

"
casper0010 wrote:
You think windows is going to fail within 3 years?...Windows isn't going to be 'out and lost' within our lifetimes.

See above and think again. I'm not talking about industries, we talk about gaming installations ;)
For ME, and any other who think mor then a bit about conditions, dependencies and consequences, an "only rented" operating system that takes control over my own preferences, is JUST A NOGO. Win 10 will never happen on any machine of mine - I even refuse to buy one "copy" bundled with any hardware. (while even on W7 its getting harder and harder to keep it 'under control', taking more effort, more attention, more time and more tools...)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
I WANT PINGUIN SUPPORT PACKS!
"
Grendel1_00 wrote:
I WANT PINGUIN SUPPORT PACKS!

I want Le Toucan supporter packs!
There Is No God But Kuduku And Le Toucan Is His Messenger. O Blessed St. Harambe Who Sitteth On The Right Hand Of Our Lord, Pray For Us Scrubs Now And At The Hour Of Our Shaped Maps, Amen.
Something about "too much pain, not enough profit" so no chance of a Linux port. GGG is stuck in the shitty Direct3D API and we'll forever have poor performance because of this.  :(

Same reason there won't be a Mac OS port either.

AMD would need to switch to Vulkan graphics API to be able to port to Linux. Too bad as we'd get smoother performance if they did make the switch. But GGG is too invested in Direct3D to make the switch.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info