Path of Exile VS Linux

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

quoted as potentially costing tens of thousands potential hundreds, and requiring a good whack of money in keeping it updated for all it's distros...your supporters packs would do nothing to encourage them.

What may have encouraged them is how well the xbox port went, if there was a large playerbase on that then they might consider a ps4 port which would bring them part if not most of the way to being able to port it to linux without to much extra expense.

The bolded part is nonsense often used against Linux ports.
There are companies out there who make software for win, mac, linux, what have you - it's not too much work for them. Some solve this by officially only supporting Ubuntu, for example. This does not mean the software does not run on Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, Suse, Mint; often it's just a matter of dependencies and how the distro handles them. So it's often just a matter of days until software that is only supported by Ubuntu can be installed and run on other distros as well.
A bigger problem and probably the reason why the console port was made for xbox is that the developers chose DX9/11 (Win only) instead of OpenGL, which is platform independent.

Until then we Linuxers will have to make do with Wine/ Crossover or dual booting.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
(which is - again to be said - out and lost within barely 3 years from now)... Developers should start to rethink, soon.

Lol, what?

You think windows is going to fail within 3 years?

You realise just how much of industry runs on windows, how many home PC users will not migrate away from Windows? People like what they know. Windows is going nowhere.

I'm not even saying that's a good thing, I think having more realistic options for home users would go a long way to advancing the technology, but Windows isn't going to be 'out and lost' within our lifetimes.
Last edited by casper0010 on Sep 20, 2017, 6:57:41 AM
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
Until then we Linuxers will have to make do with Wine/ Crossover or dual booting.

Or we could just play games that are available natively. There is already way, way more of good ones than I have time for, so I'm set. :)
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
It would make more sense for GGG to make a Mac OS port first.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
"
Sinthetick wrote:
But if they are gamers, they are already used to having a Windows box.

The 'problem' is, that as long as games dont run (well enough) on other operationg systems, people who WANT to CANT get rid of that old, annoying bastard called 'windows'. (which is - again to be said - out and lost within barely 3 years from now)... Developers should start to rethink, soon.

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE native Linux support. I could finally stop using WinBlows except for work. I just accept that it would be a bad business decision.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Sep 20, 2017, 9:10:39 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

I would kind of like to see what those stats looked like before windows 10 came out. XP is beating 8 in this one, but I would imagine that most people who tried 8 went to 7 immediately or went to 10 when it came out.
"
mruuh wrote:
"
Mikrotherion wrote:

Or we could just play games that are available natively. There is already way, way more of good ones than I have time for, so I'm set. :)

While true, the thread was about PoE and Linux.
Playing other games is not a solution if you want to play PoE.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
After ditching my last Windows install a several years ago, there's little incentive to buy a license again.
We have plenty of nicely working ports and games that run well on wine. PoE is unfortunately not one of those.

I don't mind spending on entertainment... most EU4 expansions on release day, I'm on the donators page for Factorio, and blew more money on AAA titles rarely played thereafter than I care to admit. I'd buy a credible Linux supporter pack up to 1k EUR in a heartbeat (thanks, ingrained D2 addiction).

If it ran properly on wine, Path of Exile would be worth supporting already today.
But I've been playing without sound for more than a year (something causes half second freezes on a lot of sounds), ground effects and certain spells lower the fps below 10, 6-player parties rarely have above 1 (!) fps during action, and I can reliably expect game crashes once per evening or 2-3 times per Sunday.
That's on a i7-6700, R9 380, 16GB RAM, SSD... should be constantly fps maxed at 720p. Most other games (notably Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, both on wine at 1440p) run smoothly.

PoE runs at 60fps in my hideout, but exceptionally badly in many cases, which is why I have played it way less than I would've liked to since 2012. It's bound to DirectX and supporting OpenGL seems prohibitively expensive for such a small studio. Seeing how there's tons of problems already, I have little hope that a "native" build linked against winelib would yield fundamental improvements.

So yeah, hopes are low. Of course I'll stay around for some occasional laid-back monster slashing every few months, the game does have huge replay value. Grim Dawn less so, yet it was still satisfying, and I'm really curious about how Wolcen will turn out.
"
foosis wrote:
After ditching my last Windows install a several years ago, there's little incentive to buy a license again.
We have plenty of nicely working ports and games that run well on wine. PoE is unfortunately not one of those.

I don't mind spending on entertainment... most EU4 expansions on release day, I'm on the donators page for Factorio, and blew more money on AAA titles rarely played thereafter than I care to admit. I'd buy a credible Linux supporter pack up to 1k EUR in a heartbeat (thanks, ingrained D2 addiction).

If it ran properly on wine, Path of Exile would be worth supporting already today.
But I've been playing without sound for more than a year (something causes half second freezes on a lot of sounds), ground effects and certain spells lower the fps below 10, 6-player parties rarely have above 1 (!) fps during action, and I can reliably expect game crashes once per evening or 2-3 times per Sunday.
That's on a i7-6700, R9 380, 16GB RAM, SSD... should be constantly fps maxed at 720p. Most other games (notably Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, both on wine at 1440p) run smoothly.

PoE runs at 60fps in my hideout, but exceptionally badly in many cases, which is why I have played it way less than I would've liked to since 2012. It's bound to DirectX and supporting OpenGL seems prohibitively expensive for such a small studio. Seeing how there's tons of problems already, I have little hope that a "native" build linked against winelib would yield fundamental improvements.

So yeah, hopes are low. Of course I'll stay around for some occasional laid-back monster slashing every few months, the game does have huge replay value. Grim Dawn less so, yet it was still satisfying, and I'm really curious about how Wolcen will turn out.

Not that small. They currently have ~100 employees and have/are porting to console(s). They just need to add Vulkan support instead of/in addition to DX12. That way GGG can cover future Sony ports and make Linux easier.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info