Let's say it out loud - Kitava boss fight is garbage

I dont care for said fight

to much of a cluster fork

its not super hard but the whole flood the screed with effects this is not fun
I dont see any any key!
"
coredumped wrote:
At most, the person quoted above says something right. The problem isn't that Kitava, Gruthkul or Innocence are too hard, it's just that the game presents difficulty spikes in a way that makes no sense to me... I, for one, was very disappointed at for instance, the Solaris and Lunaris fights, the trinity at the end of Act 9, and nevermind the joke of a fight against Avarius Reassembled, that might as well be a white lvl 20 skeleton.

The feeling I get when leveling is: Breeze through content for 4 acts, pay attention to Kitava act 5 and mobs at start of act 6, breeze through content to act 8, pay attention to Doedre in the sewers, breeze through game until Act 10 Kitava fight. Those are the only moments that warrant proper attention and focus. With all the rest feeling under-tuned, these fights may seem like they're too hard for some players.

Oh right i forgot doedre in the sewers...

Well, fights being hard or not, they have to be in sync with the rest of the game. If you, as you said "breeze through" and suddenly run into a brick wall, that might work as some sort of damper if you're getting to cocky but it also drains all the momentum from a character.

One moment you feel empowered and capable of beating the game and then suddenly you're thrown against a boss that floods the stage with a hail of effects that in certain combinations can't be properly evaded or seen:

Those gory, goopy things he summons from the death puddle that leave those trails of DOT (what even is it? phys or chaos?). The area isn't indicated, they seem to move around. all while being toasted with a allmost stage covering inferno that really doesn't give a good look at the ground.
Or that discoball that is perfectly harmless if you don't stand directly under it... that seems to always be in the one spot i need to run through to get out of some other more certain deathtrap.

All fine and good but then there are those minions that are basically just a gearcheck. No skill involved just do enough damage. You're more of a patient bossfighter? Well too bad, they'll swarm you!

As much as this game is supposed to be challenging, just messing with the difficulty in scripted events in an unrecognicable pattern is disheartening and sucks the fun out.
In a game so heavily based on self chosen endgame difficulty, shouldn't at least the story campaign be suited for the casual part of the playerbase?
Last edited by Scherge on Sep 18, 2017, 12:47:37 PM
LABYRINTH & TRIALS ARE GARBAGE
Ehhh...it just needs to be visually improved, too much stuff on the screen.

The thing that bothers me is that it lacks an iconic skill like Dominus Slam or Malachai Tentacle. There is that x-shaped attack but it's not really that scary (the fire degen is more scary but it's bland). And less importantly: it needs some voice acting.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
coredumped wrote:
"
Scherge wrote:
It feels like the difficulty spikes are way more extreme at some points than before.

The first time i think the difficulty spikes up without warning or proper introduction is the figth against Innocence, then Gruthkul and then that Kitava rape at the end. Nothing in the near time before AND after those fights even comes close.

I think depending on the build they might feel even more out of proportion.

The annoying thing about kitava for me is the heart phases with all those power minions. The uniques hit like trucks!

I honestly don't think there is any problem with Kitava whatsoever... It's a really fun fight that keeps you on edge and always makes me feel a bit nervous and anxious before it (the good kind, like I know I'm in it for a good fight) especially in hardcore. Sure at first you might die to the fight, but that's how bosses are meant to be... Most of the posts here seem to want a fight where you just stand still and right click the boss and wait for it to die. Anything more than that deserves some complaint in the forums (I love the one complaining that standing in Innocence's Beam of light for 5 seconds kills the player XD).

At most, the person quoted above says something right. The problem isn't that Kitava, Gruthkul or Innocence are too hard, it's just that the game presents difficulty spikes in a way that makes no sense to me... I, for one, was very disappointed at for instance, the Solaris and Lunaris fights, the trinity at the end of Act 9, and nevermind the joke of a fight against Avarius Reassembled, that might as well be a white lvl 20 skeleton.

The feeling I get when leveling is: Breeze through content for 4 acts, pay attention to Kitava act 5 and mobs at start of act 6, breeze through content to act 8, pay attention to Doedre in the sewers, breeze through game until Act 10 Kitava fight. Those are the only moments that warrant proper attention and focus. With all the rest feeling under-tuned, these fights may seem like they're too hard for some players.

I'd love the game to be more difficult while leveling - especially non-existent white mobs. Don't get me wrong - my complain is not about Kitava being hard (as some people mentioned, when you actually pay attention and research the fight it isn't that difficult), but it being a giant difficulty spike and clusterfuck. We already have a giant clusterfuck of effects while playing in party. Have you tried doing Kitava in party of 3 people?
Note that I'm absolutely ok with difficulty of Izaro, who doesn't have many attacks, but still can one-shot you if you are not careful. He also has some meaningful mechanics that are quite clear and easy to learn (while still pretty hard while playing around them).
In other words - easy rules, hard gameplay.
Kitava is on other hard - unclear rules (and visuals), clusterfuck gameplay.

Give me hard, but not clusterfuck.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Sep 19, 2017, 1:06:20 AM
I'm a new player on my first character and just reached this fight. Was doing really well until the heart popped out, then these Shamans of The Feast show up and I'm dead in under 3 seconds. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to deal with them, there's nowhere to run from them to pick them off away from the other one, if I respawn at checkpoint they chunk me instantly, 5000 HP gone in the blink of an eye.

It's kind of annoying, my build is an Earthquake Juggernaut with a few good rare items I picked up along the way and nothing else in the entire game so far has done anywhere near that sort of damage to me. Is there some sort of trick to this I'm not figuring out or am I expected to grind and craft better gear to pass a certain threshold? If the latter is the case how am I supposed to get enough Alchemy Orbs to do that? Only rare items seem to be worth anything and I need Alchemy Orbs to make them but the drop rate on these orbs seems pretty abysmal.

I was having a lot of fun with this game until this point. I'll be very disappointed if I have to go back through all 10 acts of the story on a different build because my first one isn't viable despite showing no signs of problems up to this point.
"
Is there some sort of trick

Yes, it's called poe.trade. Buy the needed gear to gimp your char to beyond Kitava levels.
Also don't forget to outlevel his zone by repetitively doing reliquary/ossuary until you begin to like it.
Or just zerg him for ultimate PoE experience.

Don't forget it's all part of the fun.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
I'm a new player on my first character and just reached this fight. Was doing really well until the heart popped out, then these Shamans of The Feast show up and I'm dead in under 3 seconds. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to deal with them, there's nowhere to run from them to pick them off away from the other one, if I respawn at checkpoint they chunk me instantly, 5000 HP gone in the blink of an eye.

It's kind of annoying, my build is an Earthquake Juggernaut with a few good rare items I picked up along the way and nothing else in the entire game so far has done anywhere near that sort of damage to me. Is there some sort of trick to this I'm not figuring out or am I expected to grind and craft better gear to pass a certain threshold? If the latter is the case how am I supposed to get enough Alchemy Orbs to do that? Only rare items seem to be worth anything and I need Alchemy Orbs to make them but the drop rate on these orbs seems pretty abysmal.

I was having a lot of fun with this game until this point. I'll be very disappointed if I have to go back through all 10 acts of the story on a different build because my first one isn't viable despite showing no signs of problems up to this point.

The trick for me is to kinda circle around the heart while killing them. In your case you can strike once with earthquake and start moving while the effect is going off. When it pops the big damage, strike once more and keep moving, rinse and repeat.

The biggest damage coming from those mobs is a sort of "barrage" of dark projectiles that get pooped on you. If you keep moving they will hardly hit you. This fight is all about the movement and knowing what to avoid. Just ignore all the negativity going around in this post, you most definitely DO NOT need to create a new character or start purchasing everything from poe trade to deal with Kitava. You will be fine.
Last edited by coredumped on Sep 19, 2017, 8:42:19 AM
"
coredumped wrote:
This fight is all about the movement and knowing what to avoid.

Sure, I can agree it's all about moving, but all too often you end up moving just because it's the safest thing to do by default and the chance for something to hit you is the lowest that way. You aren't purposefully moving towards something or get away from something, like you do in better designed fights, like Innocence or Shaper.

So, in clusterfucky fights like Kitava, Yugul, the Sisters or Gruthkul (though it's just poor visibility in that one) you have an advantage if you're using a build that can move all the time, like a summoner, totemist or trapper and builds that can do a solid hit and run away like Earthquake aren't too badly off. But something that needs to stand in specific places a lot to do good dps, like namelockers? Nah, a fair bit of the area is denied to you at all times so your Warchief will likely end up doing most of the dps and you're pooped solid if you can't tank and leech well enough. That might a be a problem at that point or not, depending on the build, Yugul/Gruthkul are optional and Sisters aren't too savage, but Kitava fight is a much higher check.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 19, 2017, 9:22:26 AM
"
coredumped wrote:
The biggest damage coming from those mobs is a sort of "barrage" of dark projectiles that get pooped on you. If you keep moving they will hardly hit you. This fight is all about the movement and knowing what to avoid. Just ignore all the negativity going around in this post, you most definitely DO NOT need to create a new character or start purchasing everything from poe trade to deal with Kitava. You will be fine.

I couldn't even see the dark barrage until you pointed it out and I actually looked for it, the darkish red tint of everything and the weaker herald enemies covering the shots up makes them pretty hard to notice. Knowing it's there makes it a bit easier, made it up to third Kitava phase but unfortunately got stunned twice in a row by the small red marks before the big slam attack got me, didn't react fast enough to pop a flask but I felt pretty good about getting that far.

Will give it another go tomorrow with the Brine King Pantheon buff to see if that will help with stuns.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info