Defenses are So bad!!!

hello i have 7khp, 6k armor, all resists capped, 3end charges up and fortify, also im a cyclone slayer with insane leech, but guess what, sometimes this game says fuckyou and you get oneshot from nothing in the middle of nowhere.
"
h3llraiserlol wrote:
hello i have 7khp, 6k armor, all resists capped, 3end charges up and fortify, also im a cyclone slayer with insane leech, but guess what, sometimes this game says fuckyou and you get oneshot from nothing in the middle of nowhere.

Mere 7k?

My Slayer has 9.2k HP with fortify. He doesnt get oneshotted even by Shaper's Slam, triple-balls, etc.
But on high-tier maps with bad mods - yeah, can be insta-killed still.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 16, 2017, 4:43:49 PM
A quick note: To get the HP equivalent if you didn't have Fortify, take your base health (let's do 6k here just for giggles) and divide it by 0.8. Here that results in 7500 health equivalent.

That's baseline Fortify. If you want to figure the number for better values, divide your health by 1 - the fortify percentage. Goes up to 25%? Then that 6,000 health divided by .75 = 8000.

Or to use real numbers on here, 7k / .8 = 8750. 9.2k / .8 = 11,500.
Last edited by Jackalope_Gaming on Sep 17, 2017, 12:05:54 AM
"
h3llraiserlol wrote:

if you die - try to guess what had happened. was it elemental? was it a spell? or was it careless, off-hand driving? were your resists capped? (curses in maps can be naaaasty)

if you have 0 evasion (popular with Unwavering Stance) youll get gibbed by exploding porcupines etc. if you rely on the ultimate noob-trap (CwDT+IC) then you do not really have your endurance charges etc etc

defences are about finding weaknesses and fixng them
"
sidtherat wrote:

if you have 0 evasion (popular with Unwavering Stance) youll get gibbed by exploding porcupines etc. if you rely on the ultimate noob-trap (CwDT+IC) then you do not really have your endurance charges etc etc

defences are about finding weaknesses and fixng them

Evasion doesnt save well VS Porcupines, unless you have something like 10k+, or just use blind, dodge, block, etc. And armor also helps a lot againt them. Though i had no problems with them without evasion or endurance charges, and with very low armour.

And dont call CWDT+IC a "noob trap", please. For Slayer, this combo is essential for survival, and often is much better than endurance charges. Sure, mere 0.4 sec physical immunity does nothing, true, BUT it's followed by 50% increased life recovery for 4 seconds, so Slayer's "normal" 46% life per second regen is boosted to whooping 69% life per second, so you recover from any damage taken much faster. And instead of spending 4 nodes into endurance charges, i can spend those for life nodes instead.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 17, 2017, 4:11:22 AM
Primary Defenses are VERY bad.Side defenses are good. Buffer is good. When i say primary defenses i mean evasion and armour (and Energy Shield, but not really any more since it is being used as buffer).

People do not realise that Armour and Evasion are the absolute HARDEST thing to stack in the game. Far harder than any other defense. Rolling a perfect Armour chest needs 3 T1 rolls to stack. In comparison a top life one just needs 1 T1 mod. Building a top Armour character needs essentialy 15-16 really good armour rolls stacked on all items, a ton of passive investment, a keystone(iron reflexes) and 2 auras (grace+determination), and it will result in what? 50K armour before flasks? maybe abit more? All this investment will do absoutely NOTHING against elementa damage, and it will reduve a 10K physical hit by 25%. Same As 6 endurance charges will do with investing just 3 passives on them.

Yeah i know, you should be stacking both but this is not my point. My point is that armour and evasion need the biggest investment in the game, and the return is shit. Stacking full life in passives and gear is easier, yet a million times more effective. Stacking block, endurance charges, dodge, fortify etc. all these are far easier to stack and yet they work MUCH better than armour/evasion. And ovbiously so does high damage plus istant leech.

Armour and Evasion HAVE to be reworked to give decent returns compared to the investment needed to create a top Armour or Evasion character. Their main problems are:

1) Armour Does nothing against elementa damage, basically over half the actual damage in the game. This have to be changed.

2) Evasion does nothing against spells, basically half the damage in the game

3) Armour is not effective at all in Spike physical damage, or at least you need mirrored gear in all your slots to do what endurance charges, fortify and some generic Physical Mitigation will do in basically 0 investment,

4) Evasion will get you one shotted at some point. Now if it was possible with good investment to be able to evade like 90%+ of ALL damage in the game, then maybe that would be a risk willing to take.

5) Both armour and evasion are useless against Huge Damage Over Time, which is quite frequent in the endgame.
"
astraph wrote:
All this investment will do absoutely NOTHING against elementa damage, and it will reduve a 10K physical hit by 25%. Same As 6 endurance charges will do with investing just 3 passives on them.

With 50k Armour and 6 charges, you need > 5000 life.
With 50k armour or 6 charges, you need > 7500 life.
With nothing, you need > 10.000 life.
...feels about right to me.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
astraph wrote:
All this investment will do absoutely NOTHING against elementa damage, and it will reduve a 10K physical hit by 25%. Same As 6 endurance charges will do with investing just 3 passives on them.

With 50k Armour and 6 charges, you need > 5000 life.
With 50k armour or 6 charges, you need > 7500 life.
With nothing, you need > 10.000 life.
...feels about right to me.

I talked about this. What does NOT feel right is A TON of investemnt in gear and passives will do the same thing as 6 endurance charges will do. Most times you are better off just grabing the charges and investing the rest in more HP, damage, and even if you wanna be a "tank", in block or other general forms of physical mitigation.
"
astraph wrote:
Primary Defenses are VERY bad.Side defenses are good. Buffer is good. When i say primary defenses i mean evasion and armour (and Energy Shield, but not really any more since it is being used as buffer).

People do not realise that Armour and Evasion are the absolute HARDEST thing to stack in the game. Far harder than any other defense. Rolling a perfect Armour chest needs 3 T1 rolls to stack. In comparison a top life one just needs 1 T1 mod. Building a top Armour character needs essentialy 15-16 really good armour rolls stacked on all items, a ton of passive investment, a keystone(iron reflexes) and 2 auras (grace+determination), and it will result in what? 50K armour before flasks? maybe abit more? All this investment will do absoutely NOTHING against elementa damage, and it will reduve a 10K physical hit by 25%. Same As 6 endurance charges will do with investing just 3 passives on them.

Yeah i know, you should be stacking both but this is not my point. My point is that armour and evasion need the biggest investment in the game, and the return is shit. Stacking full life in passives and gear is easier, yet a million times more effective. Stacking block, endurance charges, dodge, fortify etc. all these are far easier to stack and yet they work MUCH better than armour/evasion. And ovbiously so does high damage plus istant leech.

Armour and Evasion HAVE to be reworked to give decent returns compared to the investment needed to create a top Armour or Evasion character. Their main problems are:

1) Armour Does nothing against elementa damage, basically over half the actual damage in the game. This have to be changed.

2) Evasion does nothing against spells, basically half the damage in the game

3) Armour is not effective at all in Spike physical damage, or at least you need mirrored gear in all your slots to do what endurance charges, fortify and some generic Physical Mitigation will do in basically 0 investment,

4) Evasion will get you one shotted at some point. Now if it was possible with good investment to be able to evade like 90%+ of ALL damage in the game, then maybe that would be a risk willing to take.

5) Both armour and evasion are useless against Huge Damage Over Time, which is quite frequent in the endgame.

the key is 'moderation'

10K AR + 10K EV is enough. it is cheap, easy to get (almost), and leaves passives free to take one or two more additional layers

ill take 10K AR/10K EV/ 40% Block character over 50k AR one ANY DAY. the cost is similar, effectiveness isnt

overstacking and not understanding basic concepts like 'enough' makes people do stupid build decisions like 'maxing AR' at the cost of everything else..

'but one shots' - name me non-telegraphed phys oneshots that you HAVE to take. cmon, ill wait. truth is there are none. bursts? oh.. these are solved with EV

you guys underestimage Pantheon (what a stupid name..)
"
astraph wrote:

I talked about this. What does NOT feel right is A TON of investemnt in gear and passives will do the same thing as 6 endurance charges will do.

it doesnt do the same as 6 endurance charges, the individual hit damage levels you are calcing against are so rare they virtually dont exist.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info