Will Path of Exile ever be purchasable as Single Player?

Thread name says it all. To reiterate;

Will this game, whether far down the line or ever, be purchasable as a single player experience? Meaning, you don't need to log into servers? I doubt anyone has any real info on it, but i'd figure I'd bring up my interest anyway.
Last edited by Crixus1 on Aug 19, 2017, 11:08:49 AM
Last bumped on Aug 19, 2017, 5:54:22 PM
I hope this answer's your question. It's from the description of the game on the website.

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
Last edited by Bone2flesh on Aug 19, 2017, 1:17:48 PM
Can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, but my question was based on the future, not the present moment. That particular quote and my question about a future single player release are not mutually exclusive.
Last edited by Crixus1 on Aug 19, 2017, 2:07:33 PM
"
Crixus1 wrote:
Can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, but my question was based on the future, not the present moment. That particular quote and my question about a future single player release are not mutually exclusive.

They are mutually exclusive. Source: developers.

Have a grand day.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
Why you trying to come off all snarky? It doesn't cost anything to be respectful.

Tell me where this question about a FAR FUTURE single player release is rejected by developers. Again, that quote obviously holds true for the present, but every game eventually dies out. Why wouldn't it be feasible that they make it purchasable as a single player game when that happens?
PoE client in itself is useless, because so many things in the game come from the server. I would imagine intergrating all that server stuff to the client is not worth the effort.

Maybe at some point down the line GGG starts selling the server software. But that is not going to happen until PoE is really dying/dead. Otherwise hackers would start examining the inner workings of the server and that would lead to massive negative effect on the game.
Games are subject to datamining, and Path of Exile is no exception - the community is currently waiting for a Summon Raging Spirits MTX which turns SRS into ravens. When did GGG announce this? They haven't. Imagine people could datamine everything that's usually kept secret.

Loot is determined by server-side code. For an offline version of the game, they would need to make this code accessible so that it can be stored locally. Anything stored on your computer you can examine. This might lead to shenanigans on the online version of the game.

There's other potentially sensitive areas, too. They'd need to remove (not just disable) code used to detect botting, RMT, and other rule-breaking activities or else the relevant people would see exactly what not to do to evade detection. They'd have a field day if GGG forgot to omit something.

At first glance it might seem simple to copy and paste large sections of code, however once you start thinking about actually implementing it, it quickly becomes apparent that both the initial project, and any subsequent updates, would require quite a lot of work.

And finally, a selfish note. Anything the company does has an opportunity cost. As a Linux gamer I don't expect a native game client, but I would like them to at least implement the Vulkan graphics API. I would melt into an ocean of salt if they did an offline version before giving Linux and MacOS users some rather overdue attention. The console port was frustrating, yet unarguably the better business decision. Not sure you can say the same about an offline version.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Now THOSE were some good answers. Good read, and good to know.
Doubt it.
1* Constant revenue stream is better for GGG than one-time payment
2* Dataminig (see above)
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info