I need help with my character

I started playing PoE a few days ago and I managed to get my first character through the main story. However I was too stubborn to just follow a build/I wanted to have my own build. After dying countless times to Kitava and having a hard time killing most bosses I am wondering whether it is worth continuing on this character. Could you please check out my build and help my figure out if this build is utter trash or still salvageable.
Last bumped on Aug 17, 2017, 2:42:45 AM
For us to take a look, please make your character public - right now we can't see it. To do so, click on your name, go to "Privacy Settings" and uncheck "Hide Characters Tab".
Last edited by Alysma on Aug 16, 2017, 3:50:57 PM
Fixed it. Sorry!
Ah yes. One of the most common new player mistakes. You have taken... no life. A passive tree needs something like a MINIMUM of 150-175% increased maximum life. You have... 15% or something. By the end of act 4 you want ~1K life probably, by act 10 you should be shooting for more like 3500 AT LEAST, and you will want your resists capped, or at least as close to capped as possible.
U MAD?
Do you think I can still fix the build with some respec points and more progression? Yeah I realized too late that I am way too squishy...
You could start by going for the nearest life notables (the ones that give 8-10%). The main issue is, your tree and gems are far too generalized, which ends up falling short, since increases to cold damage do nothing for your lightning spells, etc. Same with the minion passives.

For this game, it's usually better to specialize in one type of damage stat, that way you still have points left over to boost your defense. The same goes for gems, you simply don't have enough room if you spread yourself thin.
Last edited by darkmark009 on Aug 16, 2017, 5:57:46 PM
"

Do you think I can still fix the build with some respec points and more progression? Yeah I realized too late that I am way too squishy...

Sure, you can do that. Just respec out of some those damage boosting nodes and spec into the nearby life nodes, there are several. However, your tree is all over the place. I recommend starting a new character and following a guide.
I love watching newbs actually learn the game :D
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
If that was my tree AND i'd have to fix that into something usable(=able to farm low-mid tier maps), i'd get a Clayshaper and go for 2x Spectre and 3 Flame Golems.

Then drop all your OWN damagenodes and instead take Elemental Equalibrium from the tree and then use either cold or lightning spell to proc it and also use curse on hit with it.

4L Spectres, 4-6L Golems and (3)4L curse on hit setup, Arc is probably the best for dual-cursing, Ball Lightning+GMP for a single curse.

All is not lost :P
d:-D*
"
Wihtedeka wrote:
Could you please check out my build and help my figure out if this build is utter trash or still salvageable.

Grats on making it through the play through! Well done sir!

I don't have time to go through all of the issues you have with your character, but let me point a few things you might want to correct with your new character:

Someone already mentioned the most important thing of having your resists capped (75%) and get those life nodes and x to Maximum Life on gear (if Life-based). Also you have WAY too many different skills active gems in your gem slots (more on that later).

1. This took me a while to learn myself when playing a spell caster, these flavor texts on gear do not add anything to spells or your minions "Adds 23 to 53 Cold Damage", "Adds 23 to 53 Cold Damage", "Adds 23 to 53 Cold Damage to Attacks", "Adds 3 to 8 Fire Damage to Attacks", "Adds 1 to 14 Lightning Damage to Attacks". You need the flavor text to read "to Spells" or "Spell damage" or "10% increased Cold damage". You have all that damage to attacks, but you do not use any skills that would benefit from it. Your wand has that 1 to 49 Lightning damage to Spells, so that's good.

2. You need to look into better year. That chest is a leveling chest that you'd use at level 1. The helm is an excellent leveling helm, but I try to get rid of it when I finish the story and get into maps. It offers on only 60 some evasion + resists. You want Life on helm + more Armor/Evasion/ES on it, maybe couple of resists. You lack in defenses on this front as well + no really defenses from gems (except for Enfeeble), this paired with not much life/survivablity from the tree, no wonder you keep dying :) 1 defensive flask would go a long way.

3. You have bezillion active skills Arc, Freezing Pulse, Scorching Ray AND Magma Orb AND Raging Spirits linked to you gear + Enfeeble. How do you find the time to cast all of these? One thing I'd change is to set up Arc with Curse on Hit + Frostbite as a 3-link. Then as a 4-link use a Freezing Pulse with Arcane Surge, Spell Echo + another support gem (I'll leave it to you). You have all these different Elemental damage types, so I'd maybe try Elemental Equilibrium node from the tree, but in that case you need a different wand/weapon as you have that "1 to 49 Lightning damage to Spells" which you want to avoid this "flat" damage type when playing EE build, but maybe this is a bit much for a starting player.
3a. I know you don't like to look at a guide, but at this point you being level 67, I'd look online of a skill that you like the best a build or at the very least look at the links this guide is suggesting to use.

4. You have two Curse gems in your gem slots, but you can only have 1 curse active on mobs. Pick and use just one. I guess you can curse with Curse on Hit set up, and then Enfeeble when shit hits the fan, but that's just too much micromanagement.

5. Nit-picking: You have a shield with +1 to cold gems but no cold gems there, well Ele Prolif works there, but that too being linked to spectre will only (I think work) if you have a spectre type that deals elemental damage. Playing a summoner it's tough sometimes to always find a elemental damage dealing spectre. I'd rather just slap on Minion Damage.

6. Always look for boots with +% to Movement Speed. 30 is max. I always try to have at least 20 by the time I enter maps 25-30 even better.

7. You should use an Orb of Augmentation for your flasks that have just one mod (your pure life and mana flasks in buttons 1 and 5). You get a second mod that way to them to help you out.

I hope at least parts of these were understandable. Keep playing. I was at this point when starting out. It's good that you've tried several different skills.

I'm really late for work now, but wanted to give my 2 cents to try and help out.
Cheeers.

Last edited by Janimarkus on Aug 17, 2017, 2:46:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info