[Suggestion] Rare Drop-only "Identify" gem

I don't know if GGG has ever said anything about this or if it's a non-starter, but I think it would be a fun and very rare "drop-only" item, kind of like portal. Would everyone use it? No. Just kind of a fun extra if you've got the space to save you the trouble of carrying/buying/picking up scrolls. Same speed as ID scrolls and unaffected by support gems.

There are some different ways to implement it, but you could:

1. Just let it identify one item you are mousing over at a time on each cast (no quality bonus);

2. It identifies one item at 1-19 quality, but at 20% it identifies all items in your inventory on cast. Or even all items in the stash tab you are hovering over (maybe that'd be even too good?)

I think the fatal problem wouldn't be any effect on the economy, but that they'd need to allow it to cast in towns, which might be difficult, but I have no idea.
Last bumped on Jul 19, 2017, 11:48:27 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Realistically, not having enough Wisdom Scrolls is a short lived issue in my experience. Like the very early maybe 10-20. A drop only item would be hard pressed to see use beyond that time. Also, it wastes a gem slot, or you have to swap it in and out when you want to use it, which again, wisdoms would be basically the same time use-wise. I don't see the point in devoting resources to an item with such limited scope of use.
“ I'm going to build my own Wraeclast with blackjack and hookers. In fact forgot about Wraeclast and the blackjack. Ah screw the whole thing. ” - Exile Bender

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't think it's about not having the scrolls. I typically spend a stack of Transmutes to buy 160(?) scrolls at a time when I run out. Or whetstones or armor scraps.

But I wouldn't say it was useless. If you had a random open gem slot and you had an open spot on your bar and could say hit "t" and identify each item like a scroll, that would be nice.

Also, if you could use it for your full inventory, or even better, for your full stash tab, that's where you'd get a windfall!

When I hit maps, I usually farm and dump everything I find into a quad tab, grab 100 scrolls and identify everything all at the same time. If I could use a 20% quality "identify" gem to do it all at once, I'd love that!

(BTW, they could just implement this in the game anyway. Just have an identify all button or someway to do so so you don't have to click 100 times. It would just start at the top and go down each row identifying everything in the tab until your stash runs out of scrolls.)

But yes, I agree, it's not a priority by any means. Just a fun addition :)
Last edited by jolsen26 on Jul 18, 2017, 5:17:59 PM
WE NEED Tomes like in diablo im sick of carrying 60-80 scrool while mapping.Also they could hold like 100 scroolls at the time , seriously its very annoying to carry those.

OR

I play hellgate global a lot they has a unique system smillar to Indentify scrolls but they can ID it when you pick it or when you right click it ID every item on inventory i think that could work on poe.

Obv that look goldy for farming and could be essential bot item for avoiding this GGG can make vendor recipe like

100 Scrool of wisdom
20 Transmutation

= 50 "Unnmamed Inventory ID scroll"

Or a complately different orb like common like transmute orb.
no longer playing
I really wanted one of these when I first found a portal skill gem. I imagined it would be useful to identify stuff still on the ground so I could decide whether to pick it up or not. Then after they added animated weapon I really wanted it.

Then they added that one unique armor (that I've never found >_< ) and I forgot about the idea.

It could still be good though.
"
canjp wrote:
WE NEED Tomes like in diablo im sick of carrying 60-80 scrool while mapping.Also they could hold like 100 scroolls at the time , seriously its very annoying to carry those.

If you're identifying everything that drops ( even all rares ), you are doing something "wrong".
( you are not being efficient, you are spending way too much time identifying way too many unnecessary bases, etc ... )

No, we dont "NEED" things like this.

They could add such a gem I guess, with cast speed on quality and the same very low base cast speed..
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
+1 to the OP

"
Fruz wrote:
If you're identifying everything that drops ( even all rares ), you are doing something "wrong".

Nope. You will never find that one great rare if you don't ID it.

"
Fruz wrote:

( you are not being efficient, you are spending way too much time identifying way too many unnecessary bases, etc ... )

This is a game and 100 different people will have 145 different ways to play and enjoy it. Efficiency is just one of the ways. But if you only pick up currency (because that is the most efficient way to get wealthy in POE), then you're basically working a job, averaging x Chaos/hour salary.

Think of every rare as a small lottery ticket. I love scratching those tickets to see if I "won". I dislike the cumbersomeness of ID'ing every item separately, so I'd love an "ID all" button of sorts.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
SisterBlister wrote:

Yes, because we all know how you frequently find mirror-worthy pieces by ID'ing a Necromancer Silks, Ornate Mace, or Citadel Bow. (/sarcasm)

More seriously: most basetypes that drop are NOT worth ID'ing for the "chance it has good mods;" the base values screw it over too much. There's a reason CI builds almost exclusively restrict themselves to Vaal Regalia, or that the only non-crafted rare bows worth a damn are always Harbingers. (Thicket and Maraketh bows see use, but only when crafted for +3 to bow gems, which is done starting with a WHITE, not rare, item)
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
SisterBlister wrote:
+1 to the OP

"
Fruz wrote:

and ever base will feet your build whatever its base stats and ilvl, right ?

of course.

You are free to feel like you're working when playing PoE, I don't care.
The game environment entertains me the way I play it, and like many others here, you seem to be failing to see that there are middle grounds.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 19, 2017, 8:20:30 AM
The discussion of which item bases to ID is completely seperate from the current thread. The thread is about an easier way to ID whatever it is you did pick up.

@Fruz: So if you say everybody should play as they want to (which I agree with), why are you against a suggestion which would make it easier for someone to enjoy their different way of playing? What is this middle ground you're talking about?
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info