New Player has some questions

Greetings everyone.

I hope ths is the right section for question like this.

However, I want to start with PoE since other games are getting worse. I once played to Level 42, don't know why I quitted tho. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. I played a Lacerate build. It was pretty fun so I may play it again. But is this a good starter build?
2. Any tips which build I should start with/are fun to Play?
3. Should I start now or wait till the release of 3.0?

Thanks in advance to everyone :)
Last bumped on Jul 18, 2017, 10:17:01 AM
1. It depends on the Lacerate build. I would generally recommend either making your own build (to experiment with and discover the mechanics of the game) or using a "budget" build (as you won't have enough currency for even mid-tier builds for quite some time). Just searching the forums (or googling or youtubing "poe budget build 2.6" will turn up plenty.

2. Depends on your preference. Some people like melee, some casters, some archers. If you liked Lacerate before, I'd recommend that or Blade Flurry (which is pretty popular and strong at the moment, and somewhat similar to Lacerate, though possibly harder to use well).

3. It probably doesn't matter. If you're using a cookie-cutter budget build, it should last you until 3.0's release, and at that point, you'd probably be ready for a new one. If you're going to try your own build, expect to scrap them and make a new character often (that's part of the learning curve). On the other hand, odds are any build that you start now, you'll want to move on to a new one when the update comes, so if you want to play a build long-term, you might want to wait.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
"
tsftd wrote:
1. It depends on the Lacerate build. I would generally recommend either making your own build (to experiment with and discover the mechanics of the game) or using a "budget" build (as you won't have enough currency for even mid-tier builds for quite some time). Just searching the forums (or googling or youtubing "poe budget build 2.6" will turn up plenty.

2. Depends on your preference. Some people like melee, some casters, some archers. If you liked Lacerate before, I'd recommend that or Blade Flurry (which is pretty popular and strong at the moment, and somewhat similar to Lacerate, though possibly harder to use well).

3. It probably doesn't matter. If you're using a cookie-cutter budget build, it should last you until 3.0's release, and at that point, you'd probably be ready for a new one. If you're going to try your own build, expect to scrap them and make a new character often (that's part of the learning curve). On the other hand, odds are any build that you start now, you'll want to move on to a new one when the update comes, so if you want to play a build long-term, you might want to wait.

Thanks for the answer!

The League System is quite confusing for me. I get the Softcore/Hardcore difference but wheres the difference between Standat League and Challenge Leagues?
When I am playing in Softcore Stadart League, can I play/trade with Player X in Softcore Challenge League? And is there any benefit from playing in challenge league?
Coming from Diablo 2 there are some Items you could only obtain while in Ladder, is this similiar in PoE?
"
The League System is quite confusing for me. I get the Softcore/Hardcore difference but wheres the difference between Standat League and Challenge Leagues?

Standard and Hardcore are permanent Leagues.

Challenge Leagues last for three months and differ in two ways; there are 40 challenges you can complete with exclusive MTX awarded after each dozen, and there's a new mechanic in the game to experiment with. Legacy League has Leaguestones which can be used to alter the next few areas you enter. If you've encountered Essences, those were first introduced in Essence League and were far more common when they were the focus of the League.

When a three month Challenge League ends your progress (incl. characters) get rolled into the permanent leagues. Sometimes the League mechanic is added to the core game as it was, but with reduced spawn rates. Other times it's added in a more limited fashion. Or perhaps the developers or community didn't really like it so it just never comes back.

Typically most of the playerbase take part in the Challenge Leagues as they're a form of new content, and offer a fresh start. Due to Standard being around for forever and a day, inflation has affected the economy there quite severely. It can be difficult to gear new characters and people who haven't played for a long time are at a disadvantage. In the Challenge Leagues everyone begins at level 1 with an empty stash. Stuff's more affordable there.

"
When I am playing in Softcore Stadart League, can I play/trade with Player X in Softcore Challenge League?

No.

"
And is there any benefit from playing in challenge league?

Fresh economy, challenges for exclusive MTX, more people to group with and trade with... that's about it, really. The devs don't want to incentivize it too much as some people don't really have the time for Challenge Leagues and don't want to feel punished for not playing them.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info