Noob Questions @bata user or @Dev (Converting DMG + other)

I was trying to theory craft a build for the next patch. But before I can I need to know a few things. These are questions more geared to someone who has beta access, and can test it. As I know degeneration(s) are getting a lot of changes.

With the changes I have been reading I want to make a build where I freeze my-self with fire DMG. I kind of wanted to use RF (Righteous Fire).

Questions:
1. Can RF damage be converted to Cold Damage using Kaltensoul? And if so... Can damage over time freeze you? (My Research says it can't currently. But with the changes to MOM (Mind Over Matter) I was hopping it would.)
2. Does AoF (Avatar of Fire) convert damage you don't generate such as damage from Heartbound Loop, or Scold's Bridle? (I can't freeze myself with AoF if it does affect these items, but I was curios how it would work with these items.) I'm guessing these items do there own damage still, and the only way to change the damage they do is by damage taken effects such as Taste of Hate
3. Off topic question... Does the life regeneration from Maligaro's Lens get affected by Patient Reaper?

Thanks in advance.
Last bumped on Jul 18, 2017, 5:59:19 PM
These are...not noob questions, they're pretty arcane and complicated actually.

1. 'Damage taken as' doesn't work on damage over time. Same with damage conversion. Both only work on hits (i.e. all damage other then damage over time). Also, freeze and other ailments are necessarily on-hit effects. They all depend on the damage dealt by the hit, a concept that doesn't make sense for damage over time. Nothing about this is changing in the beta.

2. Your guess is correct. Damage from items isn't modified by your stats, and you have to use damage taken as, increased damage taken, etc to fiddle with it.

3. No. Patient Reaper affects recovery rate, not recovery amount. Lens recovery is already instant.

As a suggestion, Auxium plus Taste of Hate plus one of the self damage items you mentioned is probably the best way to freeze yourself currently.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Jul 17, 2017, 6:46:07 PM
Ok thanks.
So some theory crafting.

Disclamer:
I don't usually hit lvl 100, but I normally stop playing around lvl 92 each season. As game gets boring around then. Call it atlas + map drop rate woes if you want. But I usually theory craft as though I am going to get to lvl 100 anyways.

I pretty much ignored chaos resist. I guess I'll have to do some changes to get some in there later. Maybe with some Jewels or something. I am just saying this now as I don't want Chaos resist to be the topic or focus. Same goes for the rest of the resistances as I'm sure I won't get perfect rolls, and I may struggle with it. Lets just say for theory crafting I do/can get all the perfect gear I want.

Thought Process + Other info:
I really wanted to use RF in the build, and so it ends up being pretty much unique heavy. So looking at different class trees to use with the freeze myself build. To take advantage of that 20% life regeneration from Winterheart.

I decided to try it with Heartbound Loop. Without any cast speed on the passive tree I calculated that I could summon 5.4 Raging Spirits a second. And with some cast speed I got it up too 6.7 a second. Using both Faster Casting and Spell Echo. Also I added two lvl 1 CwDTS to cast two different lvl 8 Skeletons. To help keep the damage coming in.

Now a lot of this is based off assumptions from what I have read. But the Idea is to create these minions fast enough that they override each other. Assuming that the ring still does damage as a minion is replaced it should work just fine.

However; currently this damage is all Physical, but with a Taste of Hate flask it will turn 20% of that damage to cold damage taken instead. I calculated that to being about 1k cold Damage taken a second. To help this cold damage freeze you I decided to try and curse myself using SotW. On the passive tree I get about 40% increased curse effect. With a lvl 20 quality 20 Frostbite = about 11% chance to avoid being frozen, and 20% increased frozen duration. (On a side note a good Essence of Horror on armor may also be a good option, if you can get one.)

Now will this be enough to freeze me? To determine this I have to get the rest of the gear and passives figured out. I tried making two different passive trees. One with the shadow using life as freeze calculation, and one as a Marauder. On the Marauder I grab an Auxium, and corrupt it hoping to lower the ES on it. This will make me freeze myself based off ES instead of life for the Marauder.

This will mean the Marauder will have 250 ES total, and the shadow will have about 1500 life. Both at lvl 100. What I don't know is how the cold damage to freeze you is calculated. I don't know if it calculates each hit separately meaning I am only doing 70 cold damage a hit to myself. Or if simultaneous hits at the same time are added together. For example if wearing two rings would double the cold damage taken a hit too 140. Kind of an unknown for me.

Lets assume it only counts as 70 cold damage max a hit. Making only one ring really needed. For the Marauder the math would look something like this ((100*(70/250))*.06)*1.2 = a freeze duration of 2.016 seconds. Because the SotW will only allow me to be frozen every 3 seconds it becomes a problem. Where the 20% life regeneration is not active for a second every 2 seconds. Meaning I might have to also run the curse Temporal Chains with a SF Jewel to keep it up all the time. And making the shadow build not a valid option. But if simultaneous hits count it would make the shadow more worth it I think.

Both would have crazy high regeneration. The Marauder would be around 35.4% at all times. And the Shadow would be at 28.7% normally, but at 45.92% after killing something. Both would use a Kaom's Roots to be able to move still; while being frozen. Any thoughts on what won't work or ways to make it work better?
Last edited by TheLockedGuy on Jul 18, 2017, 6:10:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info