Rage Against The Machines - How to stop the botting?

I wonder if it might be possible to have one of those dynamic bot busting text boxes pop up upon entering every few instances and before you could initiate a trade? If you do not successfully complete the thing after a few seconds or attempts, you get logged out. Multiple infractions get your account flagged and investigated.

I know it would break the immersion and be a bit tedious, but right now the issue with bots is a far bigger problem. On legacy the chaos:exalt ratio is 80:1 and on beta (where the bots don't function yet) the ratio is 10:1.

This is the kind of change that I would like to see tested in a beta. If there is a better way to verify that an actual human being is behind the keyboard, then I am all for it, but this sort of function would hopefully put a hindrance on all these cheaters and RMT parasites there are running around.

I know that there are other factors at work in the difference in prices, but it is my sincere belief that the majority of that discrepancy is due to cheating.
Last bumped on Jul 19, 2017, 1:38:44 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'd rather take bots and crazy economies over captcha boxes.

Also I think your assumption regarding exalt prices in beta are wrong.

There's just no highend crafting happening, that is why no ones buying exalts and the price goes down.
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Jul 10, 2017, 8:49:21 PM
I mean also legacy has been running for how long now? Also legacy is a currency-fest of a league with pretty bad zana mods so chaos aren't burned as hard as normal, causing another inflation factor. I'm sure bots have some impact on it to a degree, but I think those are often more prevalent in the earlier parts of the leagues when you see RMT spam and such.
“ I'm going to build my own Wraeclast with blackjack and hookers. In fact forgot about Wraeclast and the blackjack. Ah screw the whole thing. ” - Exile Bender

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I think this is an easy and effective botting counter measure.

Answering something that takes 5sec to do doesnt ruin game play. Vendering after every map is WAY worse lol.

Force us to do it like every hour as we enter a new instance. 8 hours of gameplay is 40 seconds. 40 seconds ensures no botting!!

+1 hands down support this idea!

Last edited by KyleGallas on Jul 19, 2017, 5:17:39 PM
"
Chached wrote:
I wonder if it might be possible to have one of those dynamic bot busting text boxes pop up upon entering every few instances and before you could initiate a trade? If you do not successfully complete the thing after a few seconds or attempts, you get logged out. Multiple infractions get your account flagged and investigated.

I know it would break the immersion and be a bit tedious, but right now the issue with bots is a far bigger problem. On legacy the chaos:exalt ratio is 80:1 and on beta (where the bots don't function yet) the ratio is 10:1.

This is the kind of change that I would like to see tested in a beta. If there is a better way to verify that an actual human being is behind the keyboard, then I am all for it, but this sort of function would hopefully put a hindrance on all these cheaters and RMT parasites there are running around.

I know that there are other factors at work in the difference in prices, but it is my sincere belief that the majority of that discrepancy is due to cheating.

10 chaos for 1 exalted is ridiculous ratio. Chaoses can be easily farmed and drop often, while exalteds are extremely rare. I agree, that 100 (or even 80) chaos for 1 exalted may be too much (and are probably caused by bots), but it shouldnt be something like 10:1 or 20:1 either. Maybe, for test purposes, exalted's droprate was significantly increased in beta - then, those ratios may have sense.

You cant win against bots, If your game is made "for bots". PoE is exactly THAT kind of game - all its mechanics are incredible attractive for bots, and literally scream for automation:
1. Repetive grinding of faceroll content is the most rewarding and can yield BiS loot.
2. Killing monsters requires 0 brains.
3. Death penalty is non-existant as long as you dont care about leveling (bots dont care).
4. Complex vendor recipes are easily performed by bots.
5. Picking up most loot and some currency is inefficient, unless you're bot, of course.
6. All items are tradeable.
And so on.
So no wonder, that game made "for bots", has so many bots in it, even despite they're "forbidden".

You cant win a war against cockroaches if your home is full of dirt, food remains, spilled water and small holes in walls. No matter how many of them you kill with your boot, no matter if try poisoning them - they'll stay (or you'll poison yourself sooner).

Same with bots in PoE.

Stop making game "for bots", GGG, and try to make it more appealing for ordinary players. Remove ridiculous shit like currency vendor recipes, add auto-pickup for currency, rebalance gameplay so the best items will be dropped by hardest content, get rid of 1-click faceroll offscreen killing meta, make gameplay so positioning will matter to avoid oneshots (many "telegraphed" oneshots during gameplay, and not "randon instagib), made another death penalty, etc.
It's the best way to fight bots.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 16, 2017, 6:05:57 AM
i would propably stop playing poe immediately, after the first captcha box appears in game.
they could do it once every hour or so.

It would be super good for the economy. Its one of the reasons the game is overflowing with chaos
The Hyperbomber for 2.6: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1879383
what is dynamic bot busting text box?
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
"
what is dynamic bot busting text box?

CAPTHA or something. When you're asked to perform an action, that can be performed by human intelligence (like, tell which pictures among shown contain houses, etc). Sure, if you cant perform it, you'll be "flagged" as bot.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 17, 2017, 10:34:38 AM
How to ruin your game: Implement intrusive methods against bots which affect all legit players equally.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info