Interaction between Culling Strike and Minions

Hi folks,

I was wondering how the 'Culling Strike' mod on weapons like Limbsplit or the 2h sword corruption interacts with minions.

Do my minions get culling strike at all? Or do they have to be socketed into the weapon?
Last bumped on Jun 29, 2017, 8:59:06 AM
Afaik the "culling strike" on weapons is local and works only on hits from the weapon itself. So minions do not have it, even if socketed in the weapon (it would be worded as "socketed gems are supported by lvlxx culling strike"). Corrupted implicit should be the same, but I could be wrong on this one.
If you link your minion gem(s) with culling strike, that should do the trick.
Maybe there are other ways to achieve this (items?), but I can't think of any atm...
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Last edited by Wazz72 on Jun 27, 2017, 10:40:48 AM
minions are different entities and do not use player's stats, passives and gear unless specifically stated so.

you can create a minion that uses specific melee weapon with Animate Weapon and Animate Guardian skills, but the item is consumed. AW doesn't make sense, and AG can survive only with augmented HP and recovery. It is much easier to ie link culling strike to a golem (unless you have golems as primary damage source)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
The only way is to link the Culling Stike support to a minion or to make your animated guardian use a weapon that has built in culling strike. As was previously mentioned, if the guardian dies, you lose it. I know you can craft a mod onto armor that makes the AG drop it on death but its better to just give the AG a ton of health and get your minion health regen up to keep it alive. AG is often used as a tool to enhance your damage by making it wear items that debuff the enemy or buff you/your allies. I really wouldn't waste a slot on a minion with culling strike, except maybe on a lightning or ice golem while playing as a golemancer, and that is a heavy maybe.
“ I'm going to build my own Wraeclast with blackjack and hookers. In fact forgot about Wraeclast and the blackjack. Ah screw the whole thing. ” - Exile Bender

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

"
Wazz72 wrote:
Afaik the "culling strike" on weapons is local and works only on hits from the weapon itself. So minions do not have it, even if socketed in the weapon (it would be worded as "socketed gems are supported by lvlxx culling strike"). Corrupted implicit should be the same, but I could be wrong on this one.
Maybe there are other ways to achieve this (items?), but I can't think of any atm...

You're right on most of that, except the first line. Culling Strike on weapons works from all hits that come from 'your' damage (including totems and traps and mines, which are not 'you' but use your damage). Doesn't matter if they're attack or spell or secondary, or if the hits were made with that weapon. It's a global mod.

"
I really wouldn't waste a slot on a minion with culling strike, except maybe on a lightning or ice golem while playing as a golemancer, and that is a heavy maybe.

The main time you might consider it worthwhile is if you wanna make a cheap golem setup on a *non-minion* character (especially one with low intelligence where minion damage support and ele focus and the like aren't options).

Because the gem has a generic %increased damage mod, and because a non-minion character likely won't have any increased damage for said golem (besides quality on the gem, which is 20%), culling strike support's increased damage mod feels a lot more comparable to a 'more' gem than it would in most circumstances while giving you culling strike to boot. Same reason fortify and faster attacks are actually pretty great on stone golem, those 'increased' mods are solid dps amps when you've got no other 'increased' mods for your golem.
Last edited by Shppy on Jun 28, 2017, 3:44:52 AM
"
Shppy wrote:
"
Wazz72 wrote:

You're right on most of that, except the first line. Culling Strike on weapons works from all hits that come from 'your' damage (including totems and traps and mines, which are not 'you' but use your damage). Doesn't matter if they're attack or spell or secondary, or if the hits were made with that weapon. It's a global mod.

Oh, thx for the info, I hadn't noticed it when using Kaom's Primacy and AW.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Hi,

thank all of you for your answers, that clarified a lot. My idea was to get an Queen's Escape with a culling strike corruption. But this would only affect my hits (e.g. my ball lightning/coh setup), not my minions.

So thx again for all of your answers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info