3.0 setting up for disappointment?

If 3.0 is mainly about a bunch of 'new' acts (not exactly new, they re-use half of the content and call it Act 6-10), then players will get disappointed and bored pretty fast.

Sure there will be a lot of cosmetic and maybe some QoL improvements, but still this stuff should have been done long ago in beta. Like, it's 2017 and this game really shouldn't be in beta mode anymore for some of the stuff GGG is still working on...

So the big and mostly negative and probable takeaways so far are:

- There will be < 10 new gems

- Lab tweaked a bit, but no new and major additions or changes to Ascendancy.

- No real end game still

- No big trade revamp

- No new weapon or armor classes

- No major additions to tree (1 new keystone maybe?)

- No more skill points

- More bigly nerfs and horrid balance changes, as usual in every patch (nerf to DoT, nerf ES, nerf VP, nerf nerf nerf anything powerful and melee as usual, except for all things range)

So.. there's not much to look forward to once the no lifer finishes all the acts < 4 hours, unlike every other expansion in the past where there was so much more new stuff to try out after whipping thru new acts...

Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
Last edited by Dark_Chicken on May 17, 2017, 1:24:12 AM
Last bumped on Jul 22, 2017, 5:43:49 PM
Do you even alpha... Nerd!

Wait and see you are in so many ways wrong...
No Problem,
Exile
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:

So the big and mostly negative and probable takeaways so far are:

- There will be < 10 new gems

- Lab tweaked a bit, but no new and major additions or changes to Ascendancy.

- No real end game still

- No big trade revamp

- No new weapon or armor classes

- No major additions to tree (1 new keystone maybe?)

- No more skill points

- More bigly nerfs and horrid balance changes, as usual in every patch (nerf to DoT, nerf ES, nerf VP, nerf nerf nerf anything powerful and melee as usual, except for all things range)

I will deal with these each in turn so I keep myself on track.

- Small amounts of new gems does not mean zero balance on old gems. Keep that in mind.

- Were you expecting we get 10 Ascendancy skill points instead of 8? Likewise, I am not positive it has been announced but I am positive that there will be changes to Ascension classes due to the new Pantheon system. It seems inevitable.

- I keep seeing players say this. What is an "end game"? Do you want the game to literally end? Defeat a final boss: roll credits! No more gameplay, all your progress and items were for naught. We have maps: that's endgame. There is always a sense of progression and always a sense of challenge. If you can do 100% of what the game throws at you, try a new build. Make that work, stretch that one to its limits. And no, I don't mean find another cookie-cutter build on the forums advertised as being able to clear all content. That's going to lead to the same problem.

- Promises for trade improvements have been made. No deadline and no announcement on implementation is expected and understandable. Additionally, if anyone expects GGG to change the market, then that is out of their control. Players do. Players control the prices. Always have, always will. The only way GGG can change prices is by increasing or decreasing drop rates and making items more common or more rare. They are loath to do that.

- New weapons and armors are always nice. But I've never expected these. When we got new weapons with new implicits for Act 4 gear that was icing on the cake. When we got new armors with new implicits for Atlas gear that was icing on the cake as well. It's a nice bonus, but that's it. The only attraction these items give over what we already have is their implicit: most bases we already have are arguably better in terms of base stats.

- I promise you this will not be the case. Outside of the new keystone, we will have new damage over time nodes. I also expect GGG will overhaul the burning clusters (notice we have approximately 120% increased shock duration, about 100% freeze/chill duration, and only 30% ignite duration on tree? Yeah. I expect they will change that. It's fucking hilarious that it's been like this for so long, but double-dip ignite prolif was out of control).

- We're getting more skill points in the form of a Pantheon system. It's already getting easier, mate.

- Damage over time is actually being buffed. I don't think anyone understands that. The only mechanic that's being nerfed is double-dipping. In fact, if you were relying on burning damage before (and didn't abuse the hilariously obscene double-dipping capabilities), you will be stronger than ever. Increased Burning Damage is a more modifier now. DoT base damage is getting improved across the board. Maybe people will actually play fire trap builds for the burning ground now (if you don't think the ES/CI/VP/GR combo was broken you have larger problems I cannot address with logic).
Bring back race seasons.
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
If 3.0 is mainly about a bunch of 'new' acts (not exactly new, they re-use half of the content and call it Act 6-10), then players will get disappointed and bored pretty fast.

That criticism doesn't really resonate with me. I've never been to Oriath and don't much care for the place. Sure, I'm interested in where I was exiled from - but Wraeclast is my home. If suddenly more than half of the acts occurred elsewhere, that'd be weird. I'd be spending all my time in new places which mean nothing to me, and Wraeclast would become some low level Noob Island™.

It has previously been described as fan service; going back through familiar lands and seeing first-hand the consequences of your actions. Honestly, I kind of like that. In Part 2 there's differences not just due to what you've done, but also the passage of time. I'd rather have fewer zones which feel more alive than more zones all of which feel static and dull. Just my $0.02.

As for people being disappointed if the expansion is mainly about the new acts... I dunno. There's six of them. There's two expansions a year. Diablo III got a single expansion which had one new act, some number changes, and they raised the level cap to invalidate the original game so people would have to pay for the expansion. FoO compares very favourably if you ask me.

Expansions tend to focus on a perceived problem. Different people will have different priorities; hopefully the next expansion which comes out addresses some of your concerns. :)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
"
Sarno wrote:
FoO compares very favourably if you ask me.

I have seen this pop up several times now. Care to tell me what it means?

Fall of Oriath. The expansion.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

YES! He fell for it!

It's okay guys, you don't have to add him as a friend in Fate of Oberon.

----

I actually googled it first, just in case.

No matter how unlikely it was a game would have that name, or what genre the game was, I'd have felt terrible if I found out later a game was called that. And knowing my luck...

----

I would not call it 3.0 setting up for disappointment when its delivering whats hinted/promised. Its more like your parents promised you a car, got you a Toyota and you wanted a Porsche.
"
"
Sarno wrote:
YES! He fell for it!

It's okay guys, you don't have to add him as a friend in Fate of Oberon.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thx for the le giggle :D

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Yeah.. pschh mosdef.

/s

This thread is settin me up for disappointment bro.
Second-class poe gamer

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info