Life is technically better than ES

"
Mythabril wrote:
Threads like this are why devs don't post.

Threads like this wouldn't exist if the devs didn't make such silly statements about their own game.
Well i've always said that life as a mechanic is better than energy shield and i still hold that opinion. The thing is that scaling ES is much easier and you can reach numbers that you can never reach with life. On top of that the inherit drawbacks that ES has can be easily mitigated. So we end up with a game where ES (despite being technically worse than life) is vastly superior.

So in the end i get what Rory said ... but i also get why people get mad at his statement. After all in the end who cares what is "technically" better, what's important is what is actually better in practice (and yeah ... that's definitely not life).
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 29, 2017, 4:57:00 PM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Well i've always said that life as a mechanic is better than energy shield and i still hold that opinion. The thing is that scaling ES is much easier and you can reach numbers that you can never reach with life. On top of that the inherit drawbacks that ES has can be easily mitigated. So we end up with a game where ES (despite being technically worse than life) is vastly superior.

So in the end i get what Rory said ... but i also get why people get mad at his statement. After all in the end who cares what is "technically" better, what's important is what is actually better in practice (and yeah ... that's definitely not life).

Yeah it's like P4P statement. Like Mighty mouse (a UFC 125 lber) is technically the best fighter in the world but a HS HW wrestler (ES) would tie him in a knot.
Git R Dun!
Im always suffered with life builds, but recently I discovered that life can be pretty well.

After playing alot with new gladiator char.

With max block/spell block (under rumi), 22k armour and 6400 hp, improved fortify (from tree + acsendancy node with gives -6% dmg from bleeding enemies) he is VERY tanky (32% total reduction layer). I can almost ignore all trashmobs in game (even with very silly modes/bloodlines). Tier 13-15 bosses pretty mechanical figths, somewhat slow (I'm far from been fast killer) but more or less safe. They in 99 of 100 can't one shot me, overall recieved damage pretty much controllable with basic footwork (just run around a bit) and life flasks.

I'm not into guardians seriously yet, but think they will be more or less doable too.

Indeed, shit still happens sometimes (but this is PoE).

Block is giant game changer here.

Last edited by le_souriceau on Apr 29, 2017, 5:18:02 PM
Spoiler

With max block/spell block (under rumi), 22k armour and 6400 hp, improved fortify (from tree + acsendancy node with gives -6% dmg from bleeding enemies) he is VERY tanky (32% total reduction layer). I can almost ignore all trashmobs in game (even with very silly modes/bloodlines). Tier 13-15 bosses pretty mechanical figths, somewhat slow (I'm far from been fast killer) but more or less safe. They in 99 of 100 can't one shot me, overall recieved damage pretty much controllable with basic footwork (just run around a bit) and life flasks.

See how much stats you need to keep up the pace after ES. You need to collect a lot of block/spellblock/armor/hp/fortify when ES char should only stack ES.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
Mythabril wrote:
Threads like this are why devs don't post.

Threads like this wouldn't exist if the devs didn't make such silly statements about their own game.

But...it's not really silly at all. People take it out of context and blow it out of proportion then claim that the devs are morons because they made a somewhat ambiguous yet accurate statement. It's pretty clear if you read the transcript that what they mean is that "if you have X life, then that is better than having that same amount, X, of ES". That is a TRUE statement. Lots of defensive calculations are based on life instead of ES, even when you have way more ES than life, including shock, freeze, (rarely) culling strike, and stuns, which you probably know. The *only* time I know of that ES is better than life, pound for pound, is when calculating damage taken from certain lab traps. That's it.

Now, if you are looking for an actual stupid quote to witch hunt, you should go after Chris for saying that "there is actually a 50/50 split in the office about which is better, ES or life builds". THAT is a stupid statement, one hundred percent; firstly, what people in the office think about the game's balance doesn't matter unless they are in the balance team, or consistently reach content where balance becomes tenuous enough where they can have an informed opinion about the balance. Anything is viable up to maps. I'm not trying to be elitist, but randos at the GGG office who probably have little time to play and who are involved in character art or something probably have a rather different understanding of the game balance than the people who care about ES/life being disparate at the cutting edge of the endgame.

Secondly, Chris didn't define what life or ES builds were better or worse at; if he means random mapping, the two are pretty well balanced, since life based has more mitigation options. If he means for volatiles, endgame bosses, and random huge damage like DD'ing a boss, then there is literally no argument about which is better. None. If you have huge secondary or spike damage like volatiles, where the only factor deciding if you live or die is your EHP, then obviously ES will always win as long as the mitigation options are shit (armor), can randomly fail (evasion, dodge, block), or sometimes are totally ignored (all four versus secondary damage). Always. That will be true even if they nerf ES, unless they are stupid enough to nerf it to sub-life numbers, which would be utter nonsense.

The issue is, and always will be, huge oneshot damage, especially secondary damage that can't be easily mitigated. If this is never fixed or toned down, then ES will indefinitely be better, or at minimum more consistent than life based for such situations.
Last edited by MeWhenum on Apr 29, 2017, 8:27:55 PM
Where did Rory post this crazy revelation anyways? LMAO
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
MasterAxe wrote:
Where did Rory post this crazy revelation anyways? LMAO

Said it in a podcast

I almost spit my drink out
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Life is technically better than es if you are mentally challenged and don't understand what better means in this context.

"
MeWhenum wrote:

But...it's not really silly at all. People take it out of context and blow it out of proportion then claim that the devs are morons because they made a somewhat ambiguous yet accurate statement.

Yes it is. It's a pointless claim as a lame try to ease all the negative feedback about the absence of balance in life-ES situation.

That statement isn't accurate since life and ES don't go 1 for 1 in the game.

GGG is known since Beta for not acknowledging major issues in the game and they love to go around putting out the fires with silly claims and reasons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info