Is GGG still making the game THEY want to play?

Game is hard for normals so I don't buy that it's easy up to the Big 6 (guardians uber shaper) A lot of u have unrealistic POV as in 8+ hrs a day dedication to this game. That said I always thought there should be a difficulty slider like any other game made to adjust for many type of player.

Meta is not really meta. I see guys like mathil pushing some metas but in reality this guy could pick any skill and be killing end game with a 5L. He is that good and has extensive practice. Bandwagon jumpers do what they do and plug into one of his 10-12 builds a season or one of the hundreds more from forum goers and other streamers. Even there, just following successful players offerings, you can't really call it meta with huge numbers of meta builds out there like 100+. D3 had meta when I played. Two wiz builds. One barb build. Etc.

Git R Dun!
"
Fightgarr wrote:
don't worry once vaal pact is gone the game will be terrifying again

can't wait

Only if you do direct damage. Plenty of GG builds do not like your golems/totem/minions builds. But yeah step in right direction.

WTS 30ex lol
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 29, 2017, 7:20:58 AM
You can´t make video games anymore, for a minority. Blizzards WOW is the best example for this, since they introduced raid or die, the game is losing more and more customers every month.

Raiding equals Shaper & Co. at POE and guess what, hardly anyone has even seen that guy! What type of success is this, if you make a game that might offer content that only 5-10% of your players can see?

I like games that are difficult, but without trading POE is too difficult for the time we are given. Three months, to find the right gear to face shaper and succeed is impossible for a Casual and since most gamers are Casuals, they are upset.

WOW, just like D2 always suffered under the problem of accessible content. If you were a member of that trading website at D2, you killed Baal in 5 seconds and did über trist with ease. If you were not at said website, then you killed Baal in 5 minutes and never even entered über trist.

POE works similar, are you at POE trade, then the game is faceroll, if you are not, it´s too hard. If I see ZiggyD who just buys all items, and then steamrolls a t15 map in a minute or clears breach bosses while playing with his dog, then I see what I can never do and that´s not because I am dumb, but because he was trading and I was not.

The game becomes super easy if you just go shopping, but if you actually play it is super harsh and without the right drop, you will always be farming yellow maps, without any progress. I was lucky this season and found the zombie gem, could get the mace and found the helmet - my zombies are super strong, so I am at T15, something I never did before. To now move on, I need more drops, as a 6.7 ES is just not enough and for a life build, I completely lack gear. :)

Items are more important than skill, not sure if this has always been the case with POE, but it´s so D2 again.

Therefore, GGG must find a way to make things more accessible, especially if they keep the seasons in such a short format, of only three months! I can´t even level my masters to eight in that time, it´s hilarious!
They need to offer everyone the chance, to see all content, while also keeping said content interesting for hardcore gamers.

How that can be done, I don´t know, but if they can´t figure something out, then I wouldn´t be surprised if they start making things easier.

Edit:

I dare the OP to play SSF and kill shaper, curious if its still too easy for him :)
Here is a fruit for thought: If not for the top 5% streamers - nearly nobody who complains that the game is easy and everything is a joke, would even know what shaper or guardians are.

It's the whole backseat gaming thing, i have seen a streamer kill shaper or farm uber atziri - must mean i am pro now.

Back in World of Warcraft days when the game actually had a huge pve scene, every time one of the world's top guilds managed to get a world first on some random raid boss, masses of people went to forums complaining that the content is too easy - without ever getting even near it them selves.

I am damn near 100% sure this is exactly the same case, except that in PoE some builds are so resilient that you don't really need knowledge, all you need is to be able to follow a guide or two and get the required items.
No rest for the wicked.
Any company or content creator that doesn't adapt their product or services based on the market, is doing a poor job. If anyone thinks or demands that GGG are supposed to have the same ambitions and goals today, as they had 10 years ago, I think they're pretty narrow minded.

To answer the question; if they are making a game "the market" wants to play, chances are that a lot of the employees want to play it as well.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Most of GGG are filthy casuals. For casuals, killing Core Malachai is still quite an accomplishment.

t. casual who never killed Core Malachai
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 29, 2017, 8:50:09 AM
Reminds me of rogue.exe.

Played that for years and never once got that stupid Amulet out. Picked it up a few times, but never "won".

I've always enjoyed games like that.

You know what made me quit? Not some better game. Not design choices by the company. I recall it perfectly even 30+ some years later. My friends started cheating it. They would save their games and get around the weak security that allowed them to not pay for their mistakes. They would start with a significant advantage. They sped their success rate up, much like traders do in PoE, so that they could do things in the game that I never could. I no longer had the same support or feedback from the game or my peers and I quit. Cheating sucks.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Apr 29, 2017, 10:24:42 AM
Just like other 95%+ of the game developers, they go the easy path.

Instead of making the game easier for casual players to learn and become good at it. Most developer just casual-ize the entire game.

Till now, have u see a SINGLE guide in-game for you to learn the ropes on how the game mechanic works? An official in-game guide "how to trade"? What about how to party and actually find your friend in the same area, are all taught in-game?
Last edited by Darkkrows on Apr 29, 2017, 10:54:08 AM
You may say what you want about "quantitative data and metrics", but at the end of the day, listening too much to the fanbase has proven to be a negative influence on many games like WoW. People, instead of adapting to the difficulty just wanted the devs to make the game easier, which they did... and then it got too easy and now who plays it? Like a quarter or third of it's peak playerbase. Most people are clowns tbh and hence if you think that listening to the majority is a good idea, you will be listening to clowns.

I've seen a guy come into a merciless dried lake of 6 people and 1 shot everything PLUS move faster, than any of the other people were even able to just move. He killed AND moved faster than all other 5 JUST moved lol and killed 6 man Voll in a matter of seconds. He also said he 1 shots t16 mobs lol. Now do you think 1 shotting the highest tier of content that a game has to offer, while moving at the speed of sound is proper? Feels like some players just want 1000% movement speed and godmode dam so they can literally just run through mobs and everything insta-dies haha. Like what is the point of even playing when you're so powerful? It's like starting Skyrim with fully smithed and enchanted + poisoned dragonbone armor lmao.

He did say his build cost about 3 mirrors though, an amount of wealth that realistically VERY few veteran players have, when you take the WHOLE playerbase into consideration.
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Apr 29, 2017, 6:14:26 PM
At some point every popular mmorpg/arpg gets its mechanics and systems assaulted by proverbial no-life guys. No matter how good/hard/diverse content is for normal (more or less casual) players, no-life players always "hungry"-- for them game is too easy, too slow, too everything. Nothing can stand against their free time and dedication.

So, problem not about game or developer, its about may be 1% of decadent, overplaying, so to say, fans, who poison it.

I'm in PoE from 2014 and barely made character who allow me to reliably experience so called "end game". Not best example, indeed (its turtle-like game progress), but I think its not so uncommon situation when people with limited game-time. They simply have little chances to compete in this abyssmal git-guting-treadmill.

Looks like that inflation eats my hard-earned chaos orbs faster then I get them.

"Chaos orb - great! I'll be rich."

"Not so fast! Some teen boy who can play 14 hours a day farmed tonns of them already! They now cost completly shit!"

Ehh.

Sorry guys, just cry of soul.

I'm know, its just how things work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info