The changes to Cyclone in 3.0 and stuff

Why didn't they make the skill like this to begin with lol.

Also, every movement skill in this game suffers the same horrendous coding. These guys are so nub at game design and it shows in a lot of areas.

Take Shield Charge for example, if an obstacle (wall, ledge, rail, rock, barrel, spec of sand) cross into your trajectory, you stop dead. Maps are littered with crap and worse yet, every corner is hard (not having any kind of rounded edge to give a player a certain level of forgiveness that makes movement and playing much more enjoyable) so if you snag one, you break the charge.

If they introduced "path finding" to Shield Charge (and others like Flame Dash), you could have a certain leeway when bouncing off objects. Naturally you'd break the charge if you plow head on into a wall, but if your trajectory takes you into an object at say a 5 degree angle, you would simply change your trajectory to follow that wall. With regards to barrels or rocks or any other debris, you do the same along an invisible line from that target point.

If they did little things like this, the game mechanics would feel much nicer and the game itself wouldn't be such a goddamn pain to play all the time, having to cursor around and over everything, getting snagged on everything and fighting with not only monsters, but the environment all the time.

I'm sure this will be buried in feedback and the devs would argue their current engine by claiming you need that level of involvement with the environment because it's important to connect the player to their actual surroundings (like their defense for not having an auto-sort in your inventory tab). To which I would argue that the most successful games bend these rules for the sake of enjoyment. One that comes to mind is Halo. The original game in the long standing series employed lots of hidden "cheats" to help a gamer. From things like rounding out the environment (as I talk about above) to allowing shots to land when they would have missed by giving a certain wiggle room to a player's aim. One of their managers of usability came to my university to discuss this game (and other's Microsoft had made) in my last year of uni; good talk.

Even the target lock in this game is very rigid (where Rory showed graphically that it used to be a line but now it's an elongated rectangle; again with the hard edges, always with the hard edges and corners.
Deliver pain exquisite
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2017, 1:38:00 AM
I definetly agree with Cyclone for sure... this has been suggested when the skill came out by so many people. Every league there are posts and discussion on cyclone hitting walls and other games have addressed skills like cyclone already. All they really had to do was have one guy test out cyclone and play for a few days.

Don't get my wrong I'm happy about this but why did this take like 4 years to do?

They needed to nerf iaoe first before they could make melee skills usable mechanically.

Cyclone was too overpowered before hand with its crippling move speed penalty, non existent aoe and mediocre damage.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Apr 25, 2017, 8:30:00 PM
"
Why didn't they make the skill like this to begin with lol.

This.

It's 2017, not 1997. No excuse for GGG.
While i do agree that there are a whole lot of issues with many skills and some (such as this cyclone change) should have had been a nobrainer from the getgo, comparing it to a generic shooter and how it works, is not exactly fruitful comparison.

I mean if the game is such a god damn pain to play, question really is then wtf are you doing here.

P.S. don't forget - you are giving feedback to developer who profusely rejects any sort of proper in-game graphics settings menu, and considers things like rain to be of utmost importance, so much so that they'd rather have certain groups of people play the game tuned down with what little they have access to, with textures resembling lego bricks.....but with rain!

It's also a developer who will release a ''performance'' patch followed by days, weeks, and sometimes months of bug residue.

Tho i digress, hopefully this cyclone change will trigger certain other spells that suffer from this rather poor interaction. e/g already mentioned charge, perhaps whirling blades could use it as well.

The biggest problem really is how to not overkill it,e/g things like auto sort inventory would just promote even more lazyness which we already have influx of ever since diablo 3 shot it self in the head with pay2play necromancer, within days you'd have thousands of topics spamming a plea for larger character inventory, after that they'd start to beg for backpack drops, and if you are far enough into the game, you really shouldn't be picking up every single rare thing that happens to lay on the floor anyway, which would be the only case such option would be necessary.

Generally speaking the game environments are too cluttered with hard objects, if it's not part of a ground texture or is not a part of grass object set, you won't be able to pass it which often times is what brings the largest portion of frustration when using certain skills.
No rest for the wicked.
Have you seen the Movement speed? MOVEMENT SPEED NERF!!
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
This Cyclone made me want to test something so i've put together some items on an undone character and i now know what ill be playing on 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEMWlAf6jLU&feature=youtu.be

you steamroll maps as soon as you hit SOultaker(lvl59)
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Apr 25, 2017, 11:41:18 PM
Please also look in to spark/vaal spark if you so happen to cast right on top of the obstacle, nothing comes out.
Guess why people love strand?

Because there is a minimum of obstacles, you are free to move how you like, mostly in a linear way, but still, almost no obstacles.

People like fluid gameplay. People don't like maps like crypt/cells, where you will get stuck on 50 doors and 50 enviromental hazards (yes, hazards, as they can make you die if you don't see what you're stuck onto).

Also, another thing, how to keep map complexity, while at the same time reducing backtracking to a minimum? I don't know, but I'd love if they came to a solution for this one.

Atoll resembles a more complicated strand, and you can circle it without repetition. It is not 100% linear, but requires you to go around a bit. It is followed by plateau which is a little more complex layout but still can be done without backtracking. I wish there were more simmilar layouts.

In this game now, C layout maps which are complex and full of doors/obstacles, just are less rewarding than simple stuff. You spend more time for possible same reward and afterwards it feels like a waste of time.

Devs gotta work on it to make complex maps not feel like a waste of time.
Spreading salt since 2006
I'll take a wild guess and say there might be some new skill or something else besides cyclone that might relate to this change.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info