Ultra Rare Economy

I'm curious what the design mindest was to make so many build enabling unique's more or less unattainable beyond having pure dumb luck?

At the onset of PoE the idea was to make every build require 1-3 uniques with special abilities but rare's would be the dominant gear type. And I feel you have accomplished that. But when jewel's like Primordial Might and boots like Skyforth's are so hard to find and even harder to purchase, I question what I'm suppose to do in the face of that kind of adversity as a new or returning player.

I know from 650'ish hours that I'll get it eventually if I focus solely on that one item. But do you really want me spending 100 hours in a league trying to get a single item? I mean obviuosly you want me to play the game for 100 hours, but after that much time of just getting fuck all I really don't feel like I'm going to accomplish much else. I spent over a hundred hours in essence with almost nothing to show for it, trying to get a single Carcassjack.

The point is I really want to do something other than fire totem on a league start, or some cheeky build that requires no unique's to work and doesn't even really get better with unique's. Because unless it's a unique that is more akin to the plague, I will likely never find it myself. Which means I have to resort to getting currency from poe.trade, which means I need perfect rares, which is more dumb luck.

I want to earn my stuff, I just don't want to feel so defeated when it's been 100 hours and I don't have much of shit to show for it when people who play just as much as me have 30Ex and perfect gear. Fuck those people.

TL;DR I'm frustrated at either A)How unreasonably unlucky I am, or B) How rare every strong unique in the game is. I'd rather them ruin the economy and up the drop rates of ultra rare uni's.
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2017, 3:51:03 PM
You have greatly overestimated the amount of time invested that it takes to obtain items, unless you are playing SSF.

There are tons of different strategies out there for getting rich, and most all of them work. With a little research into how the people you are saying "Those those guys" about are getting to that point, there is no reason you can't have everything they do. Game knowledge is extremely important. Knowing what is valuable and why, that makes a huge difference in your ability to generate wealth.

hint: no one gets rich purely off of tier 1 unique drops they get in the wild.

Also, nothing in this game is that rare (okay, mirrors). Look at how many of any item you can pick are for sale in any given league on poe.trade.
U MAD?
Last edited by Docbp87 on Apr 25, 2017, 1:48:13 PM
"
ClickerPro wrote:
I'm curious what the design mindest was to make so many build enabling unique's more or less unattainable beyond having pure dumb luck?

Free Market Economy + No Significant Item Sinks + "Game Balance"

People have grown too attached to the idea of permanent gear by now to accept any significant item sinks, so that's screwed.

GGG loves their Free Market Economy.

The "Game Balance" aspect has to deal with there actually being gradations to gear advancement, where instead of reaching max power within a very short time, getting bored, and leaving, there is a sense of progression where you work to get an upgrade, then work to get another upgrade, then work to get another upgrade.

They could actually chop off the "game balance" aspect since top, elite players are getting fully geared out in about 2 weeks per league anyways, as item generation frequency has absolutely exploded since Open Beta, mostly due to "moar loot" and power creep, and partially due to player experience generally improving. So we could move toward the D3 model where you get fully geared in a very short time regardless if you're a top player or casual, and ditch the gear hunt. I don't think GGG wants this, though.

By the way, unless you're playing SSF, Carcass Jack really doesn't take 100 hours to grind for... more like... 30 minutes... are you aware of the Chromatic, 7 Jeweller's Orb, and Chaos vendor recipes?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Yeah, I know the the recipe's. You're talking about Carcassjack in the league where BV was king.

Also don't lump me into the permanent gear crowd, I'm 33, I grew up playing rogue like games when they were just called NES cartridges. Actually just don't lump anyone you've never met into anything.

I dont' want to lose the gear hunt, you are just taking what I said and assuming it to mean I want free shit. I'm still playing the game, I didn't say I didn't like the game, I didn't say I can't deal with the system, I didn't post this in suggestions. I posted it here for help, not condescension.

I use all three of those recipe's and quite a few others you didn't mention. I know how to make currency. My problem is the gate that sits in front of my build that has a giant question mark in front of it instead of a timer. You know so much about PoE, then you surely know luck has 100% to do with absolutely everythign you do. EVERYTHING. From the lowly chromatic recipe to finding 2 skyforth in the same zone. Yes, luck should be a big part of finding what you need, but a person should never be able to look back at time invested and say wow, I could have just slept all day today and I would have gotten about the same amount of shit done.

"
ClickerPro wrote:

I use all three of those recipe's and quite a few others you didn't mention. I know how to make currency. My problem is the gate that sits in front of my build that has a giant question mark in front of it instead of a timer. You know so much about PoE, then you surely know luck has 100% to do with absolutely everythign you do. EVERYTHING. From the lowly chromatic recipe to finding 2 skyforth in the same zone. Yes, luck should be a big part of finding what you need, but a person should never be able to look back at time invested and say wow, I could have just slept all day today and I would have gotten about the same amount of shit done.

Luck is everything in this game. 2 weeks grinding currencies and one single drop can top that :)
"Many build enabling uniques"???

There's a tiny handful of items that aren't easily affordable with even the most casual of playtime.
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
If you want to "earn your stuff"... great. I do that too. Just don't expect to compare your results to someone who has a different code of ethics. It would be like the corner deli comparing itself to McDonalds. There's room in this world for both.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
If you want to "earn your stuff"... great. I do that too. Just don't expect to compare your results to someone who has a different code of ethics. It would be like the corner deli comparing itself to McDonalds. There's room in this world for both.

This. Also, part of the fun and challenge of Self Found is to build around what you acquire, not to have a set build in mind from the beginning.
"
Elynole wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

This. Also, part of the fun and challenge of Self Found is to build around what you acquire, not to have a set build in mind from the beginning.

Yep. To know when to "give up" your first character and start another is one of the harder parts of playing SSF. I'm near that point... but I want to get to 90 and run council and Atziri. Maybe. Maybe try uber lab too. Then I'll start up a new dude.
"
Docbp87 wrote:
Y
There are tons of different strategies out there for getting rich

None of which involve actually playing the game, which is stupid. I've made about 20-25 exalt -ish this league by playing and selling. That is absolutely trivial compared to the currency you make flipping and ripping people off and sniping.

IMO it's the worst aspect of the game.

Chancing every sorc boots I find too and nada. Even decent chests are worthless unless 6 linked. SO ya, OP has a point. You can play for hours and get nothing but small currency and yellows for chaos recipe. It's taxing on your patience and makes you wonder why you even bother.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Apr 25, 2017, 3:08:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info