POE so hardcore, it reeped my PC

Blew up my Corsair h100i! Working with Corsair support now to see if they'll cover any of the damage, already build a custom loop to replace the h100i though, it's a good product for the price (when it doesn't DD your rig), but I now have more money to sink into the PC, so I sprung for a high-end custom setup.

Pics:

IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 22, 2017, 3:16:03 AM
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2017, 10:01:22 AM
been running the game for yeas on a lesser corsair hydro (one of the older base models)

You realize that to even have this happen with a closed look liquid cooler your pump would have failed or the cooler part was heavily clogged with dust as it looks like the liquid boiled.

The game dose not run that hard unless you have been fucking about with PC settings forcing everything to run much harder than it needs to (seriously never ever have i reached more than 55c on the one i use)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Apr 22, 2017, 4:38:32 AM
1) Open case
2) Position floor fan 6 inches away
3) Turn on fan.

My video card overheats after about 20 minutes without additional cooling.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
been running the game for yeas on a lesser corsair hydro (one of the older base models)

You realize that to even have this happen with a closed look liquid cooler your pump would have failed or the cooler part was heavily clogged with dust as it looks like the liquid boiled.

The game dose not run that hard unless you have been fucking about with PC settings forcing everything to run much harder than it needs to (seriously never ever have i reached more than 55c on the one i use)

Yeah, it might have been the 10-thread directory-crawling zopfli app that I had running behind PoE while playing.

The 6-core i7 5820k was heavily overclocked and kept at 100% utilization for days on end, and it indeed killed the pump -- that yellow gunk in the first two pictures is the lubricant/oil that caused it to rupture, stalling circulation and causing the water to boil and burst the tubing in the third picture. The water was actually so hot that steam kept escaping as the tubes were jarred while I removed the unit (obviously after the computer was already off).

radiator was fine, i had 2 >200cfm fans with dust filters on it. CPU temps were ~70 on 24 hour prime, the pump just croaked.

"
SkyCore wrote:
1) Open case
2) Position floor fan 6 inches away
3) Turn on fan.

Nope, I have 4 case fans, each of which move more air than a floor fan. Case is fully sealed to maintain proper airflow, which is necessary to keep the 8 raided hdds and 1080 cool, not to mention the ram, mosfets, and other mobo fiddly bits (water cooling removes the airflow usually generated by the fan mounted above the CPU, so the mobo can easily overheat if you don't have proper airflow).
Is that some BBQ sauce?
U MAD?
LMFAO! I hope Corsair doesn't replace anything. You most likely never cleaned out your rig and it got so hot it took a dump on you. PoE is not hardcore enough to cause something like that. Nice try though.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"
Docbp87 wrote:
Is that some BBQ sauce?

CPU BBQ sauce, indeed!

"
Wraeclastian wrote:
LMFAO! I hope Corsair doesn't replace anything. You most likely never cleaned out your rig and it got so hot it took a dump on you. PoE is not hardcore enough to cause something like that. Nice try though.

Most AIOs (h100i included) have sealed pump systems, so dust won't cause them to fail. Plus, you know, fine mesh dust filters which I clean by simply wiping them. Oh, and the case is on a shelf 3 ft off the ground and I use a HEPA filter in the room (Japan has some crazy pollen and yellow dust issues).

Nice troll though.
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 22, 2017, 9:53:49 PM
I find that even mesh fans still let in the finer dust particles, though i heard of a trick to boost filtering (use a pair of ladies tights/pantyhose to cover the intakes)

As for corsair doing anything, that depends on if you are going to be honest with them...if you have told them what you told us here there is a good possibility they won't do anything for you, you'll probably find that there is a stipulation in their guarantee relating what the intended use is (in regards to over clocking)

There is also the matter that your CPU will generally have a thermal cut out once it reaches "unsafe" temps which i guess you disabled

The mesh that I use is finer than pantyhose, I get it from a hardcore system builders store in Akiba so I can't link it, but it is extremely fine. It even has a magnetic rim to help seal it onto the case. That said, a (very) small amount of dust does of course get in, and I do of course sweep out the case when I drop in upgrades. But it accumulates surprisingly little of it due to the good mesh, room air filter, and raised location.

You can't void an AIO's warranty by doing anything to your system, let alone overclocking it -- 99% of the users get them TO overclock, as there are plenty of air coolers cheaper and quieter if you're running stock. Corsair even posted a whole tutorial on overclocking when they started releasing their AIOs (http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2013/november/corsair-overclocking-guide-part-1-the-cpu). Sure, you can void the warranty by tampering with the AIO itself, but not anything else.

No, I didn't disable thermal throttling or limits. Frankly, it's stupid for anyone to do so in any circumstance (except testing CPUs' thermal death limits, I guess?) -- on a Haswell-E like my chip, for example, tjmax is variable but usually reported between 95 and 105, depending on several variables. Why anyone would WANT their CPU to be able to exceed that, when the tcase is a hair under 67, is beyond me. I ensure that my overclocks don't go significantly above 70 on a Prime run, which stresses the CPU beyond normal "full load".

Given that I've had the AIO/cpu/mobo for over 3 years, during which I regularly go full load for days on end (I do a lot of computationally-intensive work for my company), and never had a problem with temps before, it's pretty clear that the pump gave out, stopping circulation and allowing the cputemp to spike, causing the boiling. I don't know if it was actually >100C, as they likely use some additives in the water, which might lower the boiling point.

As for the warranty, Corsair has a good reputation for covering hardware damage, despite what I'm sure is the standard legalese disclaiming any such liability. It makes perfect business sense -- AIOs *do* fail occasionally, and if people start posting on the internet about their systems getting blown up, people will stop buying them (either sticking to air or springing for a custom loop, which they can control/maintain themselves). By maintaining a reputation for covering any such damage, they instill confidence in their customers that, should something go wrong, they're not screwed.
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 23, 2017, 4:57:27 AM
"
tsftd wrote:
As for the warranty, Corsair has a good reputation for covering hardware damage, despite what I'm sure is the standard legalese disclaiming any such liability. It makes perfect business sense -- AIOs *do* fail occasionally.

The distinction will come in the form of it being a natural failure (faulty parts or just age) or forced to fail (over clocking over and above what corsair would consider reasonable)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info