Thin line between Clever use of game Mechanis and Exploit. Monstrous Treasure shenanigans.

I disagree.
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Necromael wrote:
I disagree.

With what exactly? :p

"
fxyo wrote:
The line between clever use of game mechanics and exploitation is determined by the company's decision, this thread is pretty stupid.

An example of CUoGM is like equipping a dex item to equip another dex item with more dex to equip desired items. Not to quite literally influence the proc of something because the design was added to an older design.

And difference is what exactly? Why player would bother with new and old mechanics if that is literally how game functions?
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Apr 19, 2017, 8:32:20 AM
What's most interesting is that they came out and banned a bunch of people for the Leaguestone thing, yet streamers like norse have been doing this Monstrous Treasure thing on stream and since it was released. Almost a year since Prophecy came out.

Both are labeled as exploits yet norse as far as I know still plays this game and account is in-tact. Not trying to put him onto the spotlight, but the first time I saw it he had uploaded a video of it and continued to do so throughout all subsequent leagues, and when I say do so, I mean 100+ times in some longer stream sessions.

Definitely some inconsistencies here then, if a small section of people are immediately banned after a two-week Leaguestone exploit period, yet someone who has actively been using another "exploit" in the form of MT can still continue. Both are exploits, right? Both were sure labeled as such.

====================================================================

I expect this to blow over just as all negative PR does for GGG. They don't have to give a fuck these days really. No need to answer difficult questions, which is really an amazing phenomenon in business and example of too large to fail. But it does bug me that Chris was so quick to rush to stop negative PR on the Leaguestone thing, yet said nothing in a 1,000+ post Reddit Thread regarding MT "exploiting" in order to clarify. Weird double standard.

On a side note, Prophecies are completely shit now. Still the worst league I've ever played and now all of its dogshit features can rest in peace.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
What exactly working here as not intended?
Maybe the part where you activate a map and get to change your mind?

"
No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.
And just because something can be done that means it's automatically fine?

Heck, look at that one phrase you used:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Ability to pull map from map device before it loaded? No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.

Now let's change a couple of words:
"
Ability to pull leaguestone from tab before it loses a charge? No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.
Just because it can or could be done doesn't mean that it's intended, or even unintended "clever use of mechanics".

Anyway, what I wanted to do was just to express my confusion that someone could think that that sort of thing was intended.
I certainly wasn't going to try and get you to realise your flawed thinking, since that simply won't work; even if I dual-wield two wands, sell the main-hand wand then drop a one-handed melee weapon on the ground and pick it up with auto-equip enabled.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
SunL4D2 wrote:

Map with Monstrous Treasure was naturally requiring less time to load then map without it, because well this is how game works (suprprise surprise) - monsters in boxes = less stuff to load or whatever. And you can pull map out of map device, before it loaded completely. You can pull out any map like that. This is literally just how process of loading map work. There was multiple video guides and never ever I seen official response from GGG on the materr meaning they are content with it. This was clever use of game mechanics for a year, now it's suddenly labeled as Exploit lol.

There is very thin line between "Clever game mechanics use" and Exploits and it's as close to it as it gets.

You are able to think. You can use your brain. Do you actually think that the reduced loading time was an intended "feature"? Do you think you were meant to be able to decide what map to proc the prophecy? Or do you think this is all about taking advantage of a weakness in the code?

GGG even went out and told people that this is a bannable exploit. The "line" isn't "blurry" at all when you have that info.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Just dropped 28 unique's in an hour due to "clever use of game mechanics" without mf in SSF.

Git gud bro's.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
What's most interesting is that they came out and banned a bunch of people for the Leaguestone thing, yet streamers like norse have been doing this Monstrous Treasure thing on stream and since it was released. Almost a year since Prophecy came out.

Both are labeled as exploits yet norse as far as I know still plays this game and account is in-tact. Not trying to put him onto the spotlight, but the first time I saw it he had uploaded a video of it and continued to do so throughout all subsequent leagues, and when I say do so, I mean 100+ times in some longer stream sessions.

Definitely some inconsistencies here then, if a small section of people are immediately banned after a two-week Leaguestone exploit period, yet someone who has actively been using another "exploit" in the form of MT can still continue. Both are exploits, right? Both were sure labeled as such.

====================================================================

I expect this to blow over just as all negative PR does for GGG. They don't have to give a fuck these days really. No need to answer difficult questions, which is really an amazing phenomenon in business and example of too large to fail. But it does bug me that Chris was so quick to rush to stop negative PR on the Leaguestone thing, yet said nothing in a 1,000+ post Reddit Thread regarding MT "exploiting" in order to clarify. Weird double standard.

On a side note, Prophecies are completely shit now. Still the worst league I've ever played and now all of its dogshit features can rest in peace.

I think difference is magnitude of the abuse. Endless Leaguestones and MT procs are just in different Leagues.

But, yeah, GGG still closes their eyes on some abuse and bans people for other.

"
crystalwitch wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
What exactly working here as not intended?
Maybe the part where you activate a map and get to change your mind?

"
No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.
And just because something can be done that means it's automatically fine?

Heck, look at that one phrase you used:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:
Ability to pull map from map device before it loaded? No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.

Now let's change a couple of words:
"
Ability to pull leaguestone from tab before it loses a charge? No, you can do it and this is how it always worked.
Just because it can or could be done doesn't mean that it's intended, or even unintended "clever use of mechanics".

Anyway, what I wanted to do was just to express my confusion that someone could think that that sort of thing was intended.
I certainly wasn't going to try and get you to realise your flawed thinking, since that simply won't work; even if I dual-wield two wands, sell the main-hand wand then drop a one-handed melee weapon on the ground and pick it up with auto-equip enabled.

And what's wrong with changing my mind?

It is literally how the game functions.

You fall into logic fallacies here. Because this was working just like that for years and even after this thing was known, it was up for year. So You should prove that something is not intended here. Not me.
What? Magnitude? Both are exploits according to the GGG dictionary.

Point is they could have clarified but didn't have a spine to do so
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
SunL4D2 wrote:

Map with Monstrous Treasure was naturally requiring less time to load then map without it, because well this is how game works (suprprise surprise) - monsters in boxes = less stuff to load or whatever. And you can pull map out of map device, before it loaded completely. You can pull out any map like that. This is literally just how process of loading map work. There was multiple video guides and never ever I seen official response from GGG on the materr meaning they are content with it. This was clever use of game mechanics for a year, now it's suddenly labeled as Exploit lol.

There is very thin line between "Clever game mechanics use" and Exploits and it's as close to it as it gets.

You are able to think. You can use your brain. Do you actually think that the reduced loading time was an intended "feature"? Do you think you were meant to be able to decide what map to proc the prophecy? Or do you think this is all about taking advantage of a weakness in the code?

GGG even went out and told people that this is a bannable exploit. The "line" isn't "blurry" at all when you have that info.

GGG never publictly commented on MT procs. I have no idea what are you talking about?

You need to prove that things tat was working liek that for years are for some reason now unintentional.
"
Nephalim wrote:

Also, making prophecies not suck would be nice after both MT and ROTC were gutted.

Hahaha good luck

When prophecy ended GGG said that this content has so much potential that they would keep it as core content and keep tweaking and improving it

3 leagues later... NADA

Legacy would be a fine league but since reusing all older content is Nice, but if that content is shit or obsolete.. its way less nice...
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info