Please ladies don't breast feed inside a restaurant.

"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I think it's just another case of people looking for things to get upset about, from both sides.

And there isn't really anything to get upset about. Take the African view of things, they don't really think much of nudity and it isn't considered improper or vulgar except in cases of over-christianism/islamism. So, with nudity out of the equation all is down to how much the said action is generally disturbing, defecating in public is smelly and sex is noisy so it's considered bad manners but breastfeeding isn't a very invasive action in itself, some even find the sight soothing.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 18, 2017, 4:59:22 AM
"
raics wrote:
And there isn't really anything to get upset about. Take the African view of things, they don't really think much of nudity and it isn't considered improper or vulgar except in cases of over-christianism/islamism. So, with nudity out of the equation.....

I don't think the fact that something isn't considered improper in Africa means it's "out of the way" when it comes to doing it elsewhere. Not engaging in female genital mutilation is considered improper in parts of Africa, does that mean engaging in it shouldn't be improper in America too? Or does it just mean they (and we) still have some work to do when it comes to defining propriety?
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I don't think the fact that something isn't considered improper in Africa means it's "out of the way" when it comes to doing it elsewhere. Not engaging in female genital mutilation is considered improper in parts of Africa, does that mean engaging in it shouldn't be improper in America too? Or does it just mean they (and we) still have some work to do when it comes to defining propriety?

That's just conditioning. You know, I once saw a team of workers from an outhouse pumping service having a nice little lunch next to their truck while it was operating. It was the busy peak right before the tourist season so I suppose they had no time for a lunch break but anyway, you can get used to everything and consider it par for the course, but it doesn't mean it's normal for everybody by default.

Anyway, noise is noise if someone wants peace and quiet, and a bad smell is bad smell, you need to undergo ninja training to ignore it. However, nudity is something you need to be conditioned as a kid to find shameful, you don't by default (and they say my conditioning was especially long and tedious :)

The way I see it, clothes are useful and practical 99% of the time and it's probably wrong to make some kind of naturalist freedom statement by going nude, but a man should be able to go without them if needed without feeling embarrassed and inducing discomfort in others.

"
raics wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I think it's just another case of people looking for things to get upset about, from both sides.

And there isn't really anything to get upset about. Take the African view of things, they don't really think much of nudity and it isn't considered improper or vulgar except in cases of over-christianism/islamism. So, with nudity out of the equation all is down to how much the said action is generally disturbing, defecating in public is smelly and sex is noisy so it's considered bad manners but breastfeeding isn't a very invasive action in itself, some even find the sight soothing.

You know the female Genital mutilation known as excision is viewed as a good and proper thing in Afrika.
"
diablofdb wrote:
You know the female Genital mutilation known as excision is viewed as a good and proper thing in Afrika.

What's your point? I'm listing them as an example of not being conditioned to be ashamed of nudity, which was the standard in the old world more often than not, the greek were even proud of showing their body and were the epitome of advanced culture at the time. Genital mutilation is a quaint local custom, we could be listing stuff like corsets or feet binding for days.

Last edited by raics on Apr 18, 2017, 8:02:18 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

What's your point? I'm listing them as an example of not being conditioned to be ashamed of nudity, which was the standard in the old world more often than not, the greek were even proud of showing their body and were the epitome of advanced culture at the time. Genital mutilation is a quaint local custom, we could be listing stuff like corsets or feet binding for days.

My point is you mentioned earlier it was ok for Afrikan to walk around in the nude... so yeah it's not because someone else does something in another country and it's judged ok there that we should do the same. I don't want to see someone boobs off feeding her baby while I'm eating.
"
diablofdb wrote:
My point is you mentioned earlier it was ok for Afrikan to walk around in the nude... so yeah it's not because someone else does something in another country and it's judged ok there that we should do the same. I don't want to see someone boobs off feeding her baby while I'm eating.

And you don't think that's a failing of sorts on your part? Something others conditioned you on doing which you never tried to fix? Something like being afraid of dogs or snakes, that's also largely conditioned.

Last edited by raics on Apr 18, 2017, 8:13:19 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

And you don't think that's a failing of sorts on your part? Something others conditioned you on doing which you never tried to fix?

or maybe you could put it the other way around and realize you can't force people into things they don't like. There are many people who don't want to see that and that are paying to be there at the restaurant. If it's tolerated there then so be it... I'll stop eating get out and go at another restaurant. As simple as that.
"
diablofdb wrote:
or maybe you could put it the other way around and realize you can't force people into things they don't like. There are many people who don't want to see that and that are paying to be there at the restaurant. If it's tolerated there then so be it... I'll stop eating get out and go at another restaurant. As simple as that.

You're actually forced to look? It's isn't the pride parade to go 'everyone, I'm gay', I never saw anyone breastfeeding brazenly, it's a fairly discreet business.

Last edited by raics on Apr 18, 2017, 8:19:08 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

You're actually forced to look?

don't start semantic debate if you're that low on arguments.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info