Path of exile popularity and related community: getting worse?

"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
Oh trust me I don't disagree. But atm it's way too corporate PR bullshit and they are happy with a new influx of players buying MTX for one temp league, need for speed, and TV watching meta.

Yeah, we are beyond the point of an indie company interacting in a cute way with their community. And right now I understand that they are holding their cards close to their chests. But on a regular basis, I miss some update on what the different teams over at GGG are focusing on. What are the QoL team focusing on at the moment? What about the balance team? And so on. I don't demand details, just want a little road map.

And as I am a sucker for QoL updates before new and shiny content, I find the standard "we would like to implement this, but 'whatever' - maybe in the future"-answers very frustrating, and makes me want to lash out on the forums, creating negativity, making myself a 'rotten egg'.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
You rarely see a "good" community anywhere. It's more so because we are humans, and the majority of people care more about themselves then others, and its the internet... so there is no consequence for your actions.

I don't look at games and think they have a bad community, it's just the nature of playing behind a computer screen.
"
Giammafix wrote:
In the last times, I saw a noticeable worsening: more people scamming in trades, in global, in crafting services, in carrying services, price fixers in trading everywhere and for everything, bad people and thieves in guild and in public parties and flamers, not to mention that the trading is horrible even the first month of the league, price fixing has made almost impossible to buy and sell properly, a lot of people selling stuff trying to scam you after contacting them and insulting you or not answering, etc.
I know that this kind of problems has always been present, in this and other similar games, but I feel like that their frequency has dramatically increased with the increasing popoularity of PoE.

And you base this on what, personal observation? That's a very small scale, less than a fraction of a fraction of the percent of PoE players.

What is really happening: you're becoming more sensitive to it. What has always been there to some degree or another is just more noticeable to you because you've paid more attention to it now.

Yet, PoE has become more corporate, and as such, more mainstream gamers are being added to the community over time. I don't see that group any different from the average gaming group. In fact, I see the PoE gamers, from my experience alone (which is not a good sampling of the community), as much more immature and younger than in other online games. And this was from when I started back in 2015. I guess I'm just used to the MMO/RPG crowd more than the ARPG crowd, which seems to appeal to a younger group. Again, my observation, just like yours, does not give a good indication of the community as a whole. In contrast, I've also met some very mature, friendly people here.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 14, 2017, 1:08:07 PM
Assuming the population's growth is proportional to the current ratios (whatever they are), yes there will be more toxic players. But they're the same percentage of the group.

The issue is that angry people are loud, while the happy player stays quiet. So we get more rage posts and complaining which takes up our fixed space to view it.

Likewise, it only takes a few people messing with the market for it to show.

I don't think the community has become worse (higher ratio of toxic people); there are just more of them because the community is larger.

Hope my statistical reasoning makes sense to you.

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Apr 14, 2017, 1:20:17 PM
"
Giammafix wrote:
Hello erverybody!
In the past two months, it seems that the popularity of PoE has began to increase because of the new legacy league and of the announcement of a new expansion which will bring some fresh stuff to the game. Maybe it's just my impression, but I saw that the number of poe streamers on twitch raise a bit, as well as the number of new players or old ones coming back to the game, and probably there will be more coming with 3.0. Many friends of mine who stopped playing poe some time ago, started back with the new league and they will do after the launch of the new patch.
Now, I heard that the general opinion (and mine too) is that the community of this game has always been "nice", compared to the communities of other popular games on steam and other platforms (mobas like league of legends, fps like csgo, tf2, mw2 etc.). I've played a lot and still playing those games, and keeping in mind that they're team based too, the average community is terrible, plenty of flamers, scammers, selfish and angry people, not to mention noobs who rage against the team even if they're losing by their own fault. I have to say that I've had so much fun playing those games and met cool people too, but the sad truth is that a good part of their community is toxic people.
That's why the community of Path of exile is pretty singular: overall, the majority of players in this game are nice people who tend to help others and have a good time. Of course, scammers are ever present in global chat and trades, but they're often marked by the rest of community.
In the last times, I saw a noticeable worsening: more people scamming in trades, in global, in crafting services, in carrying services, price fixers in trading everywhere and for everything, bad people and thieves in guild and in public parties and flamers, not to mention that the trading is horrible even the first month of the league, price fixing has made almost impossible to buy and sell properly, a lot of people selling stuff trying to scam you after contacting them and insulting you or not answering, etc.
I know that this kind of problems has always been present, in this and other similar games, but I feel like that their frequency has dramatically increased with the increasing popoularity of PoE.
What do you guys think about?

Toxicity is a part of any video game community, so is scamming and everything else u mentoned. If a game has a online element these thins are present. so u just shut the fuck up and deal with it, as its not gonna go away.
"
The main problem here is that people compare different genres' communities with each other.

Which makes literally 0 sense. It's like comparing a community of golfers to a community of drag racers.
Two different worlds with very different mindsets and competition.

Wanna know why MOBA communities are so toxic? It's because you have to rely on others to win the match.
This opens up doors for griefing and trolling as well as impulsive and toxic behavior (trust me, I'm no different when playing these kinds of games). I get toxic when I get assholes in my team, guess it's just normal.

But here, I'm relaxed and try to help people as good as I can. I like it civil. Had too much anger in my life, don't need it again.

Now, imagine PoE had more player interactions such as PvP events that rely on teamplay and rewards winning teams. The game would immediately become more competitive, but in a more destructive manner and the community would turn so toxic, faster than you'd think.

Just, please, don't compare teamplay communities with games like this. It just doesn't make sense.

Right on, brother
"
Vivicus wrote:

Toxicity is a part of any video game community, so is scamming and everything else u mentoned. If a game has a online element these thins are present. so u just shut the fuck up and deal with it, as its not gonna go away.

the problem is that if no one does nothing to change this situation, nothing will ever change.
Last edited by Giammafix on Apr 14, 2017, 6:18:10 PM
The best way to counter toxicity is for the quiet happy players to post more often with nice happy things. There's a swing population of players who will bandwagon with whatever is big at the time. Usually they are negative, and advocate one playstyle over another, as that is what most threads are doing.

More positive threads will move the in betweens more towards positivity.

The community cannot get better if only the complainers are actually talking.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Typically, from my experience at least, you're going to notice more "toxic" behavior in the community as the game matures. It's not a secret that video games exist on a life cycle that is played out relative to its popularity..same goes for online communities.

When POE was in its infant stages the community was significantly smaller. The makeup was also very different...New independent releases aren't going to attract the casuals or scammers the same way a blockbuster game like DIII would.

Poe has turned out to be an incredibly special game which hasn't gone unnoticed. Increasing popularity from development is always going to attract a larger player base of new, inexperienced gamer's which are followed by scammers and trolls. It's like a giant fucking bandwagon.

Why people feel the need to lie, cheat and steal in a video game is beyond me. The best I can explain it is that if humans are involved, they will find a way to poison the game. It's like a freaking natural law lmao.
"
Giammafix wrote:
What do you guys think about?

You are right, one out of last ten people i dealt with have not said Stay Safe. What a scumbag, i bet PoE popularity made her to abandon Paladins and come over here to be rude. It is like not giving 5 GG scraps after a game of Gwent, absolutely unacceptable.

TLDR: Play SSF or HC or SSFHC. Or Gwent

"
Giammafix wrote:
Why people feel the need to lie, cheat and steal in a video game is beyond me.

RMT
Last edited by Teplokot on Apr 14, 2017, 9:33:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info