Path of exile popularity and related community: getting worse?

Hello erverybody!
In the past two months, it seems that the popularity of PoE has began to increase because of the new legacy league and of the announcement of a new expansion which will bring some fresh stuff to the game. Maybe it's just my impression, but I saw that the number of poe streamers on twitch raise a bit, as well as the number of new players or old ones coming back to the game, and probably there will be more coming with 3.0. Many friends of mine who stopped playing poe some time ago, started back with the new league and they will do after the launch of the new patch.
Now, I heard that the general opinion (and mine too) is that the community of this game has always been "nice", compared to the communities of other popular games on steam and other platforms (mobas like league of legends, fps like csgo, tf2, mw2 etc.). I've played a lot and still playing those games, and keeping in mind that they're team based too, the average community is terrible, plenty of flamers, scammers, selfish and angry people, not to mention noobs who rage against the team even if they're losing by their own fault. I have to say that I've had so much fun playing those games and met cool people too, but the sad truth is that a good part of their community is toxic people.
That's why the community of Path of exile is pretty singular: overall, the majority of players in this game are nice people who tend to help others and have a good time. Of course, scammers are ever present in global chat and trades, but they're often marked by the rest of community.
In the last times, I saw a noticeable worsening: more people scamming in trades, in global, in crafting services, in carrying services, price fixers in trading everywhere and for everything, bad people and thieves in guild and in public parties and flamers, not to mention that the trading is horrible even the first month of the league, price fixing has made almost impossible to buy and sell properly, a lot of people selling stuff trying to scam you after contacting them and insulting you or not answering, etc.
I know that this kind of problems has always been present, in this and other similar games, but I feel like that their frequency has dramatically increased with the increasing popoularity of PoE.
What do you guys think about?
Last bumped on Apr 15, 2017, 6:57:49 AM
"
Just, please, don't compare teamplay communities with games like this. It just doesn't make sense.

The focus of this thread was not "comparing other communities with this one", and I'm sorry if I couldn't explain myself better, it was just a constatation to introduce the post.
The point is that even outside the teamplay, scammers in the trades and cheaters in the games are a lot more frequent.
Let's assume that I didn't ever mention other games and related communities, so is just the PoE community who is getting worse and worse with popularity?
As games get bigger/more popular they always get more toxic communities

see when a game its small the community bands together just hoping for the game to succeed, this is also true of older games where the community consists of old vets just trying to keep it alive.

when a game gets really big its community turns on it self. The HC people hate the SC people, the standard people bicker with the league people. The SSF people have their own agenda.

the point being everyone had a different idea of where the game should go and how it should be played and the bigger a game gets the more that becomes an issue with in its respective community
I dont see any any key!
'Good members', while they are the majority, can never out-conquer 'bad members'. The more people playing the game, the more 'rotten eggs' in the basket. And 'rotten eggs' have a tendency to speak very loud.

And by experience, threads about "the bad community" brings nothing good to the table.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

And by experience, threads about "the bad community" brings nothing good to the table.

Of course they won't do nothing, speaking about it doesn't solve the problem. I was just curious to see if anyone else noticed the same thing after the start of the last league.
"
Giammafix wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

Of course they won't do nothing, speaking about it doesn't solve the problem. I was just curious to see if anyone else noticed the same thing after the start of the last league.

Haven't seen much change the last year or two.

But a little more transparency from GGG would go a long way to solve a lot of tension.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

But a little more transparency from GGG would go a long way to solve a lot of tension.

Way too late for that one :^)
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

Way too late for that one :^)

I may agree, but I'm still right.
Oh trust me I don't disagree. But atm it's way too corporate PR bullshit and they are happy with a new influx of players buying MTX for one temp league, need for speed, and TV watching meta.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Imo it depends on what items you want to buy/sell, and in what time during league it is, and its mainly only in league, as prices are not as stable as in standard.

I see 2 main reason: 1) how fast market change (unstable market); 2) design of game - is based on gamble and starvation. And this pathological background produce more frustration and toxic reaction from players.

I dont see direct connection in amount of players are playing. Imo there are no more active players, imo there are less, except start of leagues.

My individual experience: I met only 2 sick individuals so far, and few frustrated players (what is quite normal), but 99% of players is pleasure to interact with.
Last edited by Rexeos on Apr 14, 2017, 11:30:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info