Is it time to devalue currency in Standard?

"
Mal_function wrote:
"
Why are you sugar coating? LOL It IS a dumping ground.

That's OK, I'm happy enough to play in a dumpster :)

its more of a landfill at this point lol
I dont see any any key!
Wonder what would happen if GGG came up with the Legacy league to give everyone a last opportunity to dick around with all the good old stuff. Then wipe the slate clean in 3.0 and erase standard...

It would be good for the game, but I think they promised somewhere during Beta the'd never do that. So now they have to work with these placeholder temp leagues all the time. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.
I find people who only play leagues and call "standard" a dumping ground or a dumpster really stupid.

This would be my conversation to one of you guys:

Q: Why do you people play leagues?
A: To get Rich.

Q: What do you do with all those super expensive uniques from that league?
A: Dump it into standard.

Q: So you are rich, what do you do with the money?
A: Nothing because a new league just started, i need to start from scratch again.

Q: OK so then when will you actually play standard?
A: Never, but i will bitch about the economy because my dumped items got fucked up by the inflation.
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I've been thinking about Standard and how the years of accumulated currency dump may be affecting both the game and the trading markets. It has raised some questions for me.

How many Exalts and Chaos orbs are sitting in Standard?
How much of that is mostly unused, but because it exists, affecting the trading markets?
What has the impact of such accumulations had on game play?
How has the entrenched wealth affected affected currency trades and the price of Exalts:Chaos?
How does the accumulation impact item prices? Are prices high because everyone is richer?
How does this affect new players?
How does the trading market in Standard affect the Challenge leagues?

GGG, would you tell us how many (in total) of each of these are in stashes: Mirrors, Exalts, Chaos, Regals, Divines?

With the arrival of 3.0, I'm thinking that it might be a good time for GGG to go through a currency devaluation process for Standard. Doing so will give FoO a true fresh start on its economy and could jump start activity in Standard.

Here's what I've been thinking about. My conversion rates are just guesses because I don't know just how big or small the actual numbers are, and they are just a starting point for discussion. This would be done in the week prior to the start of FoO.

Replace all Chaos orbs in Standard with a new Kaos orb at a rate of .5 to 1. reducing the number of Chaos orbs by half for everyone.
Remove all Exalt orbs and replace them with Kaos orbs at an exchange rate of 30 to 1. 30 Kaos orbs for each Exalt.
The rebuilding of the Exalt quantity and market would have to take place through actual drops in game play, and over time, from new Challenge leagues.

the devaluation would allow for a reset of the trading and currency markets that takes the current game and players into consideration. Item values would be realigned and assessed by the market.

The trading and currency markets have their issues and this is one way to improve them. Now is the time!

And in return, players get what? So you take half my exalts, half my chaos orbs. What do I get?

Do you work for the IRS or federal government perchance?

If you really want to do something like this, you cannot do it because it works for you. They would need to create a sink for exalts, perhaps a new map or uber enchant that cost exalts.

That would result in getting exalts out of the economy and giving the players a sense of value for their currency.

Just taking it *because reasons* is unacceptable and would piss off a *LOT* of people.

I personally don't understand why people play standard, but I accept that they like it. I usually use standard as a test bed for what I plan to do in leagues. I do not want to see my hard earned currency halved because someone wants a cheaper deal on items.
Are you seriously saying you think the price of exalts would go down if you remove the supply completely and flood the market with chaos orbs? How could that possibly make their price go down? If you want the cost of exalts to go down relative to chaos you need to ask for better zana mods, vendor items that cost chaos, master crafts that cost chaos, and/or more brick map affixes so people will need to spend more to roll maps.
Standard is the place where characters go to die,it was never intended to be played on as the sole league, so why should anyone waste time devaluing currency?
You have legacy stuff that can have up to 3 or even more different versions,you have old rmt accounts that still sit with their stuff priced the way it was years ago that can provide false assumptions on current rates of certain item worth.
You have currency that just doesn't exist in normal game anyone.

Think of standard as sandbox that devs throw in a bone every once in a while,but that's about it. Also considering how complex the trading can get the more currency of different values you have - unless you have a damn master's degree in economics and you are able to look years into the future to see what possible consequences your idea might have in a long term,i do suggest to really, really think before conjuring up topics like this.

You are talking about wiping away raw currency to ''solve'' an issue that is not an issue to even begin with, what you are suggesting is to just erase years and years of work from different players just because.....you want to pour a bottle of perfume in a dumpster?
No rest for the wicked.
This is beyond fucking retarded. Standard players. TRUE standard players understand the standard economy just fine. Just because you don't doesn't mean we want some social liberal communist bullshit to devalue the currency. Good F'ing god...

All you accomplish by doing this is reducing the overall amount of currency but don't actually address the ratio of wealth between the richest and poorest.

RICH people will always exist. News flash...they are more clever and harder working than you.

Reducing the # of exalts and adding a flood of chaos is also incredibly stupid. Do you want exalts to go for 2000 chaos? Because that is what you get.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Last edited by TheAshmaker on Mar 28, 2017, 12:09:33 PM
i never understood why some currency does give a predefined result while other currency doesn't.

all currency should have "a chance to apply it's effect". and this chance could degrade over time down to a base offset.

it would result in players crafting more themselves but it probably would give problems when stacking currency.
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I've been thinking about Standard and how the years of accumulated currency dump may be affecting both the game and the trading markets. It has raised some questions for me.

How many Exalts and Chaos orbs are sitting in Standard?
How much of that is mostly unused, but because it exists, affecting the trading markets?
What has the impact of such accumulations had on game play?
How has the entrenched wealth affected affected currency trades and the price of Exalts:Chaos?
How does the accumulation impact item prices? Are prices high because everyone is richer?
How does this affect new players?
How does the trading market in Standard affect the Challenge leagues?

GGG, would you tell us how many (in total) of each of these are in stashes: Mirrors, Exalts, Chaos, Regals, Divines?

With the arrival of 3.0, I'm thinking that it might be a good time for GGG to go through a currency devaluation process for Standard. Doing so will give FoO a true fresh start on its economy and could jump start activity in Standard.

Here's what I've been thinking about. My conversion rates are just guesses because I don't know just how big or small the actual numbers are, and they are just a starting point for discussion. This would be done in the week prior to the start of FoO.

Replace all Chaos orbs in Standard with a new Kaos orb at a rate of .5 to 1. reducing the number of Chaos orbs by half for everyone.
Remove all Exalt orbs and replace them with Kaos orbs at an exchange rate of 30 to 1. 30 Kaos orbs for each Exalt.
The rebuilding of the Exalt quantity and market would have to take place through actual drops in game play, and over time, from new Challenge leagues.

the devaluation would allow for a reset of the trading and currency markets that takes the current game and players into consideration. Item values would be realigned and assessed by the market.

The trading and currency markets have their issues and this is one way to improve them. Now is the time!

I read the 1st page, thinking 'nice troll post, hehe'. Then it dawned on me, that you were serious, and that I was reading, without doubt, the daftest thing I've ever read in these forums (and I've read a LOT of daft shite, here).
Favourite armour? Hmmm, I forget it's name, but it's that scarlet one that whatsherface wears when she wants to look splendid.

I like Marmite.
Last edited by TúrinTurambar on Mar 28, 2017, 1:00:33 PM
"
Kastmar wrote:

Sorry but nothing would be changed. Only prices would be lower but value would be the same. It make no sense.

THANK YOU. Fuck I can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to mention this. Consider the following example OP, and anyone who actually read the post:

Group A - poor group (1,000 people) all have exactly 10 chaos in wealth.
Group B - middle class (100 people) all have exactly 100 chaos in wealth.
Group C - elite class (10 people) all have exactly 1000 chaos in wealth.

If you cut their wealth in half, everyone is just as 'wealthy' as when they started - because being rich is relative to the average. Prices for everything on poe.trade would be cut in half, and everyone is right where they started. Your suggestion in the OP does nothing >.<

Edit: technically not nothing - this would raise the price of an exalt to 100,000 chaos orbs in the first hour, which would quickly fall back to existing conversion rates as enough exalts are found to meet crafting demand. With the price of exalts exorbitant, everything would be priced in chaos orbs until the conversion market stabilized, but again, the relative value of everything stays the same.
Last edited by innervation on Mar 28, 2017, 1:37:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info