Is it time to devalue currency in Standard?

I've been thinking about Standard and how the years of accumulated currency dump may be affecting both the game and the trading markets. It has raised some questions for me.

How many Exalts and Chaos orbs are sitting in Standard?
How much of that is mostly unused, but because it exists, affecting the trading markets?
What has the impact of such accumulations had on game play?
How has the entrenched wealth affected affected currency trades and the price of Exalts:Chaos?
How does the accumulation impact item prices? Are prices high because everyone is richer?
How does this affect new players?
How does the trading market in Standard affect the Challenge leagues?

GGG, would you tell us how many (in total) of each of these are in stashes: Mirrors, Exalts, Chaos, Regals, Divines?

With the arrival of 3.0, I'm thinking that it might be a good time for GGG to go through a currency devaluation process for Standard. Doing so will give FoO a true fresh start on its economy and could jump start activity in Standard.

Here's what I've been thinking about. My conversion rates are just guesses because I don't know just how big or small the actual numbers are, and they are just a starting point for discussion. This would be done in the week prior to the start of FoO.

Replace all Chaos orbs in Standard with a new Kaos orb at a rate of .5 to 1. reducing the number of Chaos orbs by half for everyone.
Remove all Exalt orbs and replace them with Kaos orbs at an exchange rate of 30 to 1. 30 Kaos orbs for each Exalt.
The rebuilding of the Exalt quantity and market would have to take place through actual drops in game play, and over time, from new Challenge leagues.

the devaluation would allow for a reset of the trading and currency markets that takes the current game and players into consideration. Item values would be realigned and assessed by the market.

The trading and currency markets have their issues and this is one way to improve them. Now is the time!

"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Last bumped on Mar 29, 2017, 4:31:15 AM
This is far too radical and complex to implement.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I think the implementation is pretty easy. the impact though would be radical. Nonetheless, I think it is time for something like this. The residual accumulation of currency is one of the factors that has distorted all trading in both standard and the challenge leagues.
US Mountain Time Zone
never gonna happen but

my standard stash
Spoiler

my legacy stash
Spoiler
Standard is permanent. No matter what they do, it will get screwed again faster than you can say "PoE hadde vært bedre om økonomien ikke var senter for all balanse".

What standard league needs, is more currency sinks. It's the only long term solution as I see it. They can't just start "devalue" every now and then. Shags mentioned durability in the other thread - that's one way. But no matter what, "we" need more reasons to use orbs, instead of hoarding them for trade - and trade only.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Mar 27, 2017, 2:26:45 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Nah... they don't need an artificial devaluation. They just need to get people to start using them.

The problem is that items don't leave the game except by a player willfully taking them out. Too many items, so there's no real reason to craft them. Just trade for them.

Chris hinted that they are thinking about adding durability. Dunno if they can pull that off without heads exploding all over the world, but it shows they're aware of this concern.

I'm pretty sure that durability wouldn't be a drop in the bucket of accumulated currency and if the majority of play is in the temp leagues, it wouldn't affect standard much at all.
US Mountain Time Zone
Remove the makeshift AH that is poe trade with premium stash and you solve the problem. When people had only the forums and chat to trade on they were exposed to much less of the same item making the illusion of scarcity. With AH almost all the items are listed for you so instead of competing with the few that are actively trading ATM you end up competing with almost every item of this kind that dropped in the game. Its inevitable and they can't do anything about it other then introducing something ridiculous as durability making it that you don't OWN anything you just rent it for a while .
IGN : xXxNocturnexXx
Is making it harder to buy/sell a solution? I'm not sure that is the answer.

I think the problem is that the accumulation of currency over the years has distorted pricing and screwed up trading.
US Mountain Time Zone
"
Phrazz wrote:

What standard league needs, is more currency sinks. It's the only long term solution as I see it. They can't just start "devalue" every now and then. Shags mentioned durability in the other thread - that's one way. But no matter what, "we" need more reasons to use orbs, instead of hoarding them for trade - and trade only.

The only currency sinks that I actively perform are chisels, regals, and vaal orbs for t13+ maps, chromes, jewellers and fusings for socketing, and GCP for gem quality. Trans, alts, and augs are pretty much used for mapping. I occasionally use a good amount of regret to respec some part of the tree that was not worth it and since I have so many characters, it is easy to run out regrets (luckily I do not make mistakes, or severe ones to have that happening), I use scouring for removing master craft mods that appear inadequat for me since rolls can sometime appear on the lower side many times. I use chance orbs on sorcerer boots to hope for a jackpot. Exalts and chaos orbs (with some exception with master crafting) are usually the ones I never touch for currency sink since I might need them for trading purposes. Zana mods before 2.6 and now will never lay their hands on my chaos orbs.

As for durability from what Shag proposed in the other thread, that is not going to happen in a game where there is so many currency types. May work in a game like Grim Dawn since they use iron bits like gold, but they are not using durability. Diablo 3 has durability, but it is easily obsolete with so much gold you can make in the game.

I really do not want more currency sinks or devalued currencies in the permanent league.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 27, 2017, 2:49:34 PM
If you want fresh economy then play leagues. Cutting everyones wealth in standard is beyond retarded. They worked for it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info