Need help with self ignite mechanic

Hey guys, im trying to make use of self hit with ignite:
1) Scold's Bridle to get hit constantily while casting
2) Cloak of Flame to turn part of damage to fire
3) Mokou's Embrace to increase the chances for beeing ignited

The problem/question i have:
If i uses MoM and EB, the self hits on my just hit my shield to 100%, my life doesnt move at all. Which is strange, as only 30% should go to my mana (and shield, protecting it with EB).
The main problem i have is that i can not get ignited while the self damage only hits my shield. Why is this so? This kinda destroys my build plan...

edit
solved:
Skold Bridle: "Your skill deal you 400% of MANA spend as physical damage."
With EB you dont spend mana, you spend engery shield, so no damage dealt at all, until the shield is gone and you start using mana.
Last edited by Mathorg on Mar 27, 2017, 1:35:54 PM
Last bumped on Mar 27, 2017, 1:34:42 PM
"
Mathorg wrote:

If i uses MoM and EB, the self hits on my just hit my shield to 100%, my life doesnt move at all.

This would sound like a bug, except I went into your characters and you didn't have Eldritch Battery allocated on Matho. Given that,

"
Which is strange, as only 30% should go to my mana (and shield, protecting it with EB).
It's working as intended because you have not allocated EB yet :P

"

The main problem i have is that i can not get ignited while the self damage only hits my shield. Why is this so? This kinda destroys my build plan...

Have you verified this with extensive testing? There is no difference between Life and Energy Shield with respect to inflicting Ignite, so if there is a difference, it is a bug and should be reported. But somehow, I doubt it. 25% chance to be ignited, true-random, is low enough that you can get a long streak of no Ignites purely by chance. For example, Wolfram Alpha says that if you attempt 20 times at 25% chance of success, the chance of "all failures" 0.3171%, or a little over 3 in 1000 people who run the test are expected to fail all 20 times. That's very substantial.

Besides the statistics/RNG issue, I'm not personally familiar with self-inflicted Status Ailment mechanics, so I don't know if Chance to be Ignited is intended to enable self-Ignite from Scold's and/or Eye of Innocence. You've noticed successful self-Ignite when taking damage to Life, but not Energy Shield, more than 20 times? (Closer to 100?)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Flameblast only damages you once, when you start casting. Other than that, Totems will not cause you to take damage (even if they use anything else than Flameblast).

Try using a self-cast spell that is not channeled.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
@adghar
I respecced out of EB as my build did not work without self igniting.

Did i extensivly test it bevor respeccing? Well usually after 3-4 casts im ignited, as long my shield was there (with EB specced) i never got ignited, nor lost any HP. I did like 10-20 times my full shield as damage (which is like 6-7 casts untill my shield was gone). After wshield was gone 3-4 more casts and i was ignited.

Overall that was probably about 100 casts without any damage on my HP bar and without even 1 selfignite.

Could it be bad luck? Probably yes. Im gonna test it again this evening, just thought i didnt notice something essential here...like Pius Path making me immune to ignite while on consecrated ground, destroying my whole build idea (which i just realised after havinbg bought all the gear i need :P )

@Perq i only need that hit to create consecrated ground and to ignite myself, for which totems and my lightning curse setup are usually more than enough for.
Ok, so i just respecced to EB and after INTENSE testing and READING i have the answer:
Yes working as intended and yes, i was missing a big part:
Skold Bridle: Your skill deal you 400% of MANA spend as physical damage.
With EB you dont spend mana, you spend engery shield, so no damage dealt at all, until my shield is gone.

Gotta learn to read more carefully bevore spinding currency to try "cool" builds :/
Last edited by Mathorg on Mar 27, 2017, 1:36:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info