Lets Talk: Hybrid ES / Life, are they a (viable) thing?

admit it, everyone has had wet dreams about going hybrid at one point in their POE lives

Why wont this shit work? And how do we fix it?

"The problem with scrubcore is that it is full of of scrubs"
- King Edward the Longshanks
Last bumped on Mar 26, 2017, 10:36:27 PM
it does work, its a perfectly viable way to make a character, its just in a lot of situations theres a more optimal way of doing things by going ci, low life, simply life + another defense like lightning coil/evasion/dodge etc.

theres a problem with rates of leech and regen, basically you often want one of these things to apply to your energy shield in order to help sustain it in combat. Problem is 2 fold, that takes it away from your life which makes your life weaker, and then the rate of regen or leech is based off your es instead of your life. This means that it favours having more es and less life, which again is leaving your life pool weaker. The only benefit of the hybrid approach is having that life pool that can be potted back etc, but if your life pool is weak it becomes a disadvantage as chaos damage hits it directly and when you lose all ur es and only have the life its not reliable because its a weak life pool.

If you could make a build with a strong life pool, 6k+, and then back it up with a protective layer of es, about 3k, you would be in a stronger position than having 3k life and a 6k es pool. but then if you are zealots oath ur regen is based off a 3k pool, if u are ghost reaver ur leech rate is based off a 3k pool. It would be better if zo made your regen ALSO apply to your es, not an either/or situation. Regen is considered weak and most people swear by vaal pact so I think encouraging regen methods in this way is healthy. Also a node behind ghost reaver that makes es leech rate based off your life pool, these things would fix the problems. I made a thread and suggested these things over a year ago but... whatever, they didnt listen it seems.

These things are only really an issue for budget options or builds that use a 3rd defense like armour or evasion along side the hybrid life+es, if you go GG hybrid ur es pool will always be bigger. But really its budget and 3 way defense mechanisms that need the help.
Thanks for your thoughts, i agree with them entirely.

Am currently at 5000 life / 5000 ES and am getting hit hard in mid tier maps.
No way of replenishing my ehp till he ES portion is knocked out.

Am considering vaal pact / ghost reaver to upkeep the ES but then i am thinking, why bother? I might as well go CI then

Would love to see some hybrid mechanic that is viable and that provides its on strength but dont think its plausible at the moment
"The problem with scrubcore is that it is full of of scrubs"
- King Edward the Longshanks
I've made mjolner character this league using Kingsguard for life regen, and leech was going to ES. Had around 4k life, and 5k ES, and it was underperforming just because 100% berserker leech was limited by not having vaal pact.

Then I respeced to CI, using 750 Regalia with Vaal Pact and I am just wrecking everything.

Maybe there are some good uses of going Hybrid, but CI is currently just too good imho.
Can't wait to see that 3.0 changes though.
Alt Art items as League MTX - When?
I've had this idea of a melee witch going Life/ES/AR (pure ES with life might work as well), going necromancer and using spirit offering with Mistress of Sacrifice for instant shield recharge.
Did't take that char very far, yet, though.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
it does work, its a perfectly viable way to make a character, its just in a lot of situations theres a more optimal way of doing things by going ci, low life, simply life + another defense like lightning coil/evasion/dodge etc.

It really doesn't. Low life is not life in any means or form. Life is only used as a resource for auras and the survivability revolves entirely around shield.

Hybrid simply can't work without leech inherently working for life and shield without ghost reaver. Balancing your survivability around one/two mechanics that revolve around a single bar is and will always be inherently better than having to balance between multiple mechanics interacting (or not interacting) with multiple bars.
Last edited by Apos912 on Mar 26, 2017, 3:16:29 PM
Edit: double post
Stop Bombing Syria
/Flu_prevention_mode ON
Moment Joon 【Passport & Garcon】https://bit.ly/2wXiUSj
MonoNeon 【Put On Earth For You】https://bit.ly/3I22mru
Last edited by finisterre on Mar 26, 2017, 3:25:17 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

theres a problem with rates of leech and regen, basically you often want one of these things to apply to your energy shield in order to help sustain it in combat. Problem is 2 fold, that takes it away from your life which makes your life weaker, and then the rate of regen or leech is based off your es instead of your life. This means that it favours having more es and less life, which again is leaving your life pool weaker. The only benefit of the hybrid approach is having that life pool that can be potted back etc, but if your life pool is weak it becomes a disadvantage as chaos damage hits it directly and when you lose all ur es and only have the life its not reliable because its a weak life pool.

If you could make a build with a strong life pool, 6k+, and then back it up with a protective layer of es, about 3k, you would be in a stronger position than having 3k life and a 6k es pool. but then if you are zealots oath ur regen is based off a 3k pool, if u are ghost reaver ur leech rate is based off a 3k pool. It would be better if zo made your regen ALSO apply to your es, not an either/or situation. Regen is considered weak and most people swear by vaal pact so I think encouraging regen methods in this way is healthy. Also a node behind ghost reaver that makes es leech rate based off your life pool, these things would fix the problems. I made a thread and suggested these things over a year ago but... whatever, they didnt listen it seems.

These things are only really an issue for budget options or builds that use a 3rd defense like armour or evasion along side the hybrid life+es, if you go GG hybrid ur es pool will always be bigger. But really its budget and 3 way defense mechanisms that need the help.

^ This pretty much covering my pre-endgame/ordinary map clearing experiences.

and

I was running these on Poison SRS MoM Necromancer (Lv.12 Bone Offering on CWDT) and I couldn't die as long as I could keep summoning and killing.
Stop Bombing Syria
/Flu_prevention_mode ON
Moment Joon 【Passport & Garcon】https://bit.ly/2wXiUSj
MonoNeon 【Put On Earth For You】https://bit.ly/3I22mru
Last edited by finisterre on Mar 26, 2017, 3:23:24 PM
"
G0rr wrote:
I've made mjolner character this league using Kingsguard for life regen, and leech was going to ES. Had around 4k life, and 5k ES, and it was underperforming just because 100% berserker leech was limited by not having vaal pact.

Then I respeced to CI, using 750 Regalia with Vaal Pact and I am just wrecking everything.

Maybe there are some good uses of going Hybrid, but CI is currently just too good imho.
Can't wait to see that 3.0 changes though.

No, Vaal Pact is too good. And that's because leech by itself sucks, not having AoE leech as default is extremely weak.

CI could reach these numbers since ever and yet it was considered a high expense investment because you had to reach so much ES that you'd be able to survive long enough to be able to take breathers for recovery. Not very engaging or fun, ghost reaver is a great addition.

The extreme disparity between Vaal Pact and Default Leech is just crap. Also, other form of survivability are completely absent to some classes. Let's assume Vaal Pact gets nerfed to the gutter and the only way to survive now is regen and endurance charges. Now what happens to ranger and shadow? They'll be worse than current scion. Even with leech, there will not be a case where you won't be better off going berserker.

Default leech needs to be able to function a little bit better. Armour needs to be allowed to be meaningful to bosses to at least some degree. And move on from there. Life could use a small buff in some areas like item mod rolls.

Good and well established builds staying alive is not inherently bad. I'd say the opposite is bad, which holds true for many builds starting from the left side of the tree.
Last edited by Apos912 on Mar 26, 2017, 3:27:45 PM
"
eebertay wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, i agree with them entirely.

Am currently at 5000 life / 5000 ES and am getting hit hard in mid tier maps.
No way of replenishing my ehp till he ES portion is knocked out.

Am considering vaal pact / ghost reaver to upkeep the ES but then i am thinking, why bother? I might as well go CI then

Would love to see some hybrid mechanic that is viable and that provides its on strength but dont think its plausible at the moment

There is a unique coming very soon which will provide this mechanic.

You can stack lgoh with ghost reaver and leech to both pools but it's not really worth it - too much investment in leech required.
for all mirror items check The Forbidden Trove:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2516760
Last edited by antilev2 on Mar 26, 2017, 4:00:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info