best way to get more health points ?

i had someone tell me i should have at least 4K health when i start doing maps.

i will be doing maps pretty soon and only have about 1400 health so far, and about 400 ES.

should i just use gear for health points or is using nodes in the skill tree the better way to add health ?

i use a scion and my build is mostly BV and SRS.

i appreciate any and all helpful advice !

thank you.

Last bumped on Mar 27, 2017, 11:43:29 AM
Would I be correct in assuming you've played Diablo III?

I'm taking a look at your LegacySoftcore Scion character and I've noticed that you have Unique items equipped in literally every slot except your belt. That isn't a good thing. In Diablo III legendary items are like rares but objectively better. They roll similar / the same stats with better stat ranges, and they often have additional legendary powers. In Path of Exile, it is rare items which are the best.

There are individual Unique items which are either build enabling or out-right overpowered, however you want yellow items in most slots. They allow you to build a solid core of health, elemental resistances, some chaos resistance and other useful stats. Looking at your character, it seems you're equipping unique items even if they do nothing relevant for the build you're playing.

Taking a look at individual slots;
  • Lifespring is a levelling unique which can be used right from level 1. I would not expect a level 58 character to be using such an item. There are doubtlessly rare upgrades dropping for you.
  • Your Asenath's Mark has 73 Energy Shield, 0 Life and 0 Resistances. While it has some useful stats, I would question if it's really the best item your character could be using.
  • Karui Ward is absolute garbage. It's projectile-related stats are meaningless to your Scion who is only interested in spell damage and minions. Replace it with literally anything else.
  • Rings are an excellent source of Resistances, which your character is badly lacking. I wonder if Praxis and Rigwald's Crest are equipped because you've decided they're good for your character, or simply the colour of their tooltip. Praxis in particular seems like an odd choice.
  • Your level 58 character is using Sadima's Touch, which require only level 11. The gloves have 0 life, 22 Energy Shield, 0 Resistance and their stats benefit attacks. Your spell-casting, minion-summoning character doesn't attack. Why are you using these? They're utterly horrible for you.
  • Wanderlust require level 11... have 0 life... 0 resist... at this point it's all stuff I've said before. Your character is level 58. She should be using level 55+ gear.

The tl;dr is this isn't Diablo. You have to be willing to read what items actually do and consider if they're useful to you. You're very clearly not doing this at the moment, and suffering for it.

Putting gear aside, your character's a bit awkward in general. You say your character is a Blade Vortex, Summon Raging Spirits character. Blade Vortex is a point blank AoE skill that you spam to maintain 20 stacks of. SRS is a minion-summoning skill you spam to have 20 minions up at all times. You've two skills that require you stand perfectly still and cast them over, and over, and over again. That's very poor synergy. In addition, BV by design requires you to be in melee range to be hitting things - summoners tend to be squishy characters who want to keep enemies at a distance.

Most characters would invest a lot more into Life on the passive skill tree than you have. Although until you replace your gear with some which actually has life, you won't benefit a whole lot from that. Get more of the Scion's life area (the Constitution section), and maybe pick up Heart and Soul, too.

Spark, Scorching Ray, SRS, BV, Stone Golem, Ice Golem, Flame Golem, Raise Zombie, Raise Spectres, Vaal Arc... you've way too many active skills. You need to take a step back and ask yourself what you want the character to do. Don't forget to do the Lab btw to pick up your ascendancy.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:

I'm taking a look at your LegacySoftcore Scion character and I've noticed that you have Unique items equipped in literally every slot except your belt. That isn't a good thing. In Diablo III legendary items are like rares but objectively better. They roll similar / the same stats with better stat ranges, and they often have additional legendary powers. In Path of Exile, it is rare items which are the best.

There are individual Unique items which are either build enabling or out-right overpowered, however you want yellow items in most slots. They allow you to build a solid core of health, elemental resistances, some chaos resistance and other useful stats. Looking at your character, it seems you're equipping unique items even if they do nothing relevant for the build you're playing.

Taking a look at individual slots;
  • Lifespring is a levelling unique which can be used right from level 1. I would not expect a level 58 character to be using such an item. There are doubtlessly rare upgrades dropping for you.
  • Your Asenath's Mark has 73 Energy Shield, 0 Life and 0 Resistances. While it has some useful stats, I would question if it's really the best item your character could be using.
  • Karui Ward is absolute garbage. It's projectile-related stats are meaningless to your Scion who is only interested in spell damage and minions. Replace it with literally anything else.
  • Rings are an excellent source of Resistances, which your character is badly lacking. I wonder if Praxis and Rigwald's Crest are equipped because you've decided they're good for your character, or simply the colour of their tooltip. Praxis in particular seems like an odd choice.
  • Your level 58 character is using Sadima's Touch, which require only level 11. The gloves have 0 life, 22 Energy Shield, 0 Resistance and their stats benefit attacks. Your spell-casting, minion-summoning character doesn't attack. Why are you using these? They're utterly horrible for you.
  • Wanderlust require level 11... have 0 life... 0 resist... at this point it's all stuff I've said before. Your character is level 58. She should be using level 55+ gear.

The tl;dr is this isn't Diablo. You have to be willing to read what items actually do and consider if they're useful to you. You're very clearly not doing this at the moment, and suffering for it.

Putting gear aside, your character's a bit awkward in general. You say your character is a Blade Vortex, Summon Raging Spirits character. Blade Vortex is a point blank AoE skill that you spam to maintain 20 stacks of. SRS is a minion-summoning skill you spam to have 20 minions up at all times. You've two skills that require you stand perfectly still and cast them over, and over, and over again. That's very poor synergy. In addition, BV by design requires you to be in melee range to be hitting things - summoners tend to be squishy characters who want to keep enemies at a distance.

Most characters would invest a lot more into Life on the passive skill tree than you have. Although until you replace your gear with some which actually has life, you won't benefit a whole lot from that. Get more of the Scion's life area (the Constitution section), and maybe pick up Heart and Soul, too.

Spark, Scorching Ray, SRS, BV, Stone Golem, Ice Golem, Flame Golem, Raise Zombie, Raise Spectres, Vaal Arc... you've way too many active skills. You need to take a step back and ask yourself what you want the character to do. Don't forget to do the Lab btw to pick up your ascendancy.

harsh, but fair reply.
Sarno is well educated.
Listen to his advice.
Xikini's simple loot filter.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1741538
"
harsh, but fair reply.
Sarno is well educated.
Listen to his advice.

he might be well educated, but he did not even answer the one question i asked.
wow dude, do you feel better now that you got all that angry vitriol out ?

you have far too much anger directed at me for someone you have never met before.

"
Sarno wrote:

my question was not about any other game, just Path of Exile, have you ever played Pac Man ? not relevant either.

"
Sarno wrote:
Rings are an excellent source of Resistances, which your character is badly lacking. I wonder if Praxis and Rigwald's Crest are equipped because you've decided they're good for your character, or simply the colour of their tooltip.

the other guy stated you were well educated, but if you think i choose gear based on what the tool tip looks like i have to think you are an idiot proven by your own words.

while choosing gear based on tooltip looks might be your thing it is not mine.

"
Sarno wrote:
You say your character is a Blade Vortex, Summon Raging Spirits character. Blade Vortex is a point blank AoE skill that you spam to maintain 20 stacks of. SRS is a minion-summoning skill you spam to have 20 minions up at all times. You've two skills that require you stand perfectly still and cast them over, and over, and over again.

uh, no.

you could not be more wrong. NOBODY stands perfectly still while using these spells.

for someone well educated you are very foolish.

"
Sarno wrote:
Spark, Scorching Ray, SRS, BV, Stone Golem, Ice Golem, Flame Golem, Raise Zombie, Raise Spectres, Vaal Arc... you've way too many active skills. You need to take a step back and ask yourself what you want the character to do.

why do you get upset that i level up gems while playing even if i will not be using that in my build ? it is not hurting you, many people carry gems to level them up.

you need to take anger management courses or something man.

the biggest FAIL of all is that you just had one job !

i asked ONE question, which you did not even answer.

"
i had someone tell me i should have at least 4K health when i start doing maps.

i will be doing maps pretty soon and only have about 1400 health so far, and about 400 ES.

should i just use gear for health points or is using nodes in the skill tree the better way to add health ?

thank you.

oh well, McDonalds needs folks like you to make fries for the rest of us.

my original and ONLY question still stands.

"
/*proceeds with 2 screens worth of 100x more vitriolic insults*/
lol
"
"
Sarno wrote:
You say your character is a Blade Vortex, Summon Raging Spirits character. Blade Vortex is a point blank AoE skill that you spam to maintain 20 stacks of. SRS is a minion-summoning skill you spam to have 20 minions up at all times. You've two skills that require you stand perfectly still and cast them over, and over, and over again.

uh, no.

you could not be more wrong. NOBODY stands perfectly still while using these spells.
uh, yes. You can't move while casting them, except you're doing it via trigger, which you obviously don't. It is, like, basic game mechanics.

"
why do you get upset that i level up gems while playing even if i will not be using that in my build ? it is not hurting you, many people carry gems to level them up.
Because you could use those links for skills that actually do something useful. Leveling "other" gems is usually done in offhand items. It's your choice, however.
"
The biggest fail is you thinking answering your question is someone else's job.
"
Actually, he did. Even broke it down to individual item slots. AND gave advice about the tree.
Spoiler
in case it was too hard to understand, it boils down to "you need BOTH items and tree nodes"
lucid enough now?

"
Oh, the irony.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
"

/*proceeds with 2 screens worth of 100x more vitriolic insults*/

2 screens eh ? you need a larger monitor.

"
silumit wrote:
uh, yes. You can't move while casting them, except you're doing it via trigger, which you obviously don't. It is, like, basic game mechanics.

if you stand motionless and spam skills without moving at all you are doing it wrong. period.

ranged or melee you ALWAYS want to be moving.

"
"
silumit wrote:
Because you could use those links for skills that actually do something useful. Leveling "other" gems is usually done in offhand items. It's your choice, however.

yes, it is my choice, you finally said something true. to add to this, not everyone always has every socket filled with gems that they are needing right then. youtube videos of the great players often show they have empty sockets in their gear, maybe you should explain to them your lover does not like that.

"
"
silumit wrote:
The biggest fail is you thinking answering your question is someone else's job.

really trying your best to be a troll eh ?

saying YOU HAD ONE JOB is a popular phrase and meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-had-one-job

nobody forced him to reply to my thread. he chose to reply to MY thread and then act like a fool.

"
silumit wrote:
"
Actually, he did. Even broke it down to individual item slots. AND gave advice about the tree.
*spoiler* in case it was too hard to understand, it boils down to "you need BOTH items and tree nodes"
lucid enough now? *spoiler ends*
actually he did NOT answer the question, you are saying what he never did and what he SHOULD have said if he was going to reply at all.

"
silumit wrote:
"
Oh, the irony.

since you do not understand the meaning of irony i have posted a link to a definition for you.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony

"
2 screens eh ? you need a larger monitor.
No.

"
if you stand motionless and spam skills without moving at all you are doing it wrong. period.
Yes. That wasn't what I was talking about though.

"
saying YOU HAD ONE JOB is a popular phrase and meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-had-one-job
"meme", blergh. Not even going to open that.

"
nobody forced him to reply to my thread. he chose to reply to MY thread and then act like a fool.
Again, he gave you an answer to your question. An elaborate one, even. If you didn't understand it maybe you should refrain from calling people "fools".

"
actually he did NOT answer the question, you are saying what he never did and what he SHOULD have said if he was going to reply at all.
And again, he did. Read that post again, carefully this time. Try paying attention to what was actually written there.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
if you see 2 screens full of text then yes you need a larger monitor.

now stop being a troll and frakk off.

you, like your butt hurt lover, are not trying to be helpful at all.

if you can not add something of value to my thread then do not reply at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info