Opinion; Legacy economy is rekt, but not because of the reason you think.

Now first of all please don't flame me, I am not defending the bug abusers nor am I suggesting they don't deserve whatever punishment is coming for them.

I don't think the economy has been destroyed because of the bug. For the most part, infinite resources would make prices drop, not go up (exception; people monopolizing the market, which I think is not as common as people think). I think it's much more likely that the economy is destroyed because of them fucking up the Zana mods. Previously there was a sink for people to dump chaos, especially perandus or nemesis. Now that the mods are trash and nobody uses them the use of chaos has plummeted and thus their demand/value has also crashed, making exa wayyyy more expensive and thus making it harder to obtain reach items (prices of expensive items are not far off from their previous league price (in exalts) but exalt prices are much higher). Anecdotal evidence; exalt prices are higher than ever in standard too, not just the league.

Any way that's my $0.02, discuss.
Last bumped on Mar 24, 2017, 9:29:02 AM
"
MeWhenum wrote:
I don't think the economy has been destroyed because of the bug.

Items sell for what people are willing to pay. In a new league it starts low and slowly rises as people accumulate wealth.

This league the prices increased rapidly once all those cheaters got rich in a few days and stared buying up everything.

It pretty simple to see as the timing of the cheat correlates perfectly with the massive price increase of chase items.

Edit: As for Zana sink, league start will have no impact. Later on maybe but not right now.
Last edited by ViolateTheDead on Mar 21, 2017, 8:40:38 AM
Probably true, considering the money sink the league modifiers used to be and no longer are. Most of the new mods aren't worth buying in the opinion of a poor person like me. However I think this reason will get buried under the whipped-up frenzy of rage about the exploit because, if we're being honest with ourselves, outrage is sexier than logic and scandals are exciting while economics are boring.

The timing of the exploit coinciding with the higher price of chase items? Sure it did. But you know what else coincided with the rise in prices? Spring Break in the US. That means people had more time than usual to farm, meaning they could farm more currency faster and thus prices would go up anyway.
Last edited by Trylobyte on Mar 21, 2017, 8:40:21 AM
"
"
MeWhenum wrote:
I don't think the economy has been destroyed because of the bug.

Items sell for what people are willing to pay. In a new league it starts low and slowly rises as people accumulate wealth.

This league the prices increased rapidly once all those cheaters got rich in a few days and stared buying up everything.

It pretty simple to see as the timing of the cheat correlates perfectly with the massive price increase of chase items.

Edit: As for Zana sink, league start will have no impact. Later on maybe but not right now.

Well, that's why I said an exception would be monopolization, but the number of people who actually have the money to buy up every HH for example is probably pretty small, even with the bug. Also I disagree that Zana mods don't have an impact yet, I've been yellow/red mapping for a week, I can promise you that in previous leagues I would have spent many chaos on perandus etc. by now. Instead, all those chaos turned into exa which I'm sitting on because the price is still going up and I don't want to be paying massive sums for my gear later on.
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Probably true, considering the money sink the league modifiers used to be and no longer are. Most of the new mods aren't worth buying in the opinion of a poor person like me. However I think this reason will get buried under the whipped-up frenzy of rage about the exploit because, if we're being honest with ourselves, outrage is sexier than logic and scandals are exciting while economics are boring.

The timing of the exploit coinciding with the higher price of chase items? Sure it did. But you know what else coincided with the rise in prices? Spring Break in the US. That means people had more time than usual to farm, meaning they could farm more currency faster and thus prices would go up anyway.

True, I didn't even think of that, even though I myself was on break.

Hopefully people can think rationally about the situation and not just blame everything on the exploit. If anything, people should be complaining at them to make the Zana mods worthwhile again, lol.
in the 5 years i played poe i think i used zana mods ... twice?

tried to craft headhunter, failed of course.
"
Trylobyte wrote:
The question is what's effect was bigger, break or bug? My opinion is - we'll never know.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
cronus wrote:

Well even if you personally don't use them it's hard to deny that people do use them, and a lot. Especially last league where everyone was running perandus for the challenge, which was glorious. Exalts were actually slammable. This league though, wow. I've never seen exalt prices get so high so quickly. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm inclined to think not.
Given that the bug had a negligible effect on the economy (per Chris Wilson's statement), I think the league mods are going to have a pronounced effect on the economy.

I know a lot of high-end players used things like Perandus or Beyond to sustain high-tier maps, which clearly isn't happening anymore. I suppose the new chaos sink is going to be chaos-spamming vaal regalias and other random items.
"
MeWhenum wrote:
"
cronus wrote:

Well even if you personally don't use them it's hard to deny that people do use them, and a lot. Especially last league where everyone was running perandus for the challenge, which was glorious. Exalts were actually slammable. This league though, wow. I've never seen exalt prices get so high so quickly. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm inclined to think not.

'everybody'

anything other than anecdotal evidence for that statement?

this thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1817180 shows how few players actually go for challenges. Only a tiny percentage ever get to red maps and I'd imagine very few people actually use chaos on map mods rather than on gear or crafting.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info