[2.6] Sherkhan's ShatterBurn: Cheap OP Crit Freezing Pulse

Tooltip DPS
Current (expensive gear) self-buffed tooltip for the warriors. This is with full power charges and frenzies, but without shit like flasks (Vinktar's or Atziri's) or Vaal Haste. The +195% IPS and -66 Penetration is for regular gameplay, unlike the high TT snapshots elsewhere with a non-penetration 6L and Slower Projectiles. Doesn't account for burn damage or the extra DPS from Assassin and Elemental Weakness. With a decent support, the number gets to 900k. Cheap gear tooltip is 150k solo self-buffed.

ShatterBurn: Concept

This build is a cheap yet OP league starter, and can scale damage with some end game uniques. The basic concept is to scale IPS (increased projectile speed - which improves FP damage and range) and crit to ensure that one pulse freezes, shatters, and ignites packs. As an added bonus, you can perma-freeze any end-game boss that isn't chill/freeze immune.

The end-game concept (dual VB) isn't all that original, but that was traditionally a very expensive build that got cheaper. The difference in this setup is that it's an easily accessible (read cheap) and powerful build to start with.

The cheapness of the build is based on three things: the porcupine card (6L short bow for 6 cards), which you can buy for 2-5c per card early league, a shrieking essence of sorrow (+2 cold on weapons), which can be acquired for 1 chaos at any time, and Hrimburn (cold damage igites) easily made for 2c. Since you don't need a 6L chest, you can slap on a cheap 1-2c 650+ ES chest as a pseudo-Kaoms.

The rest of the build is just scaling crit, IPS, and ES. Seven projectiles (2x per First Snow; 2x for dual Snakepits) without GMP offers ample AOE. Assassin's Ambush node ensures that the first hit crits 95% of the time, and packs just disappear (even in parties).

The cheap version (with the bow) will easily let you do T15s. Once you have enough spare cash, you can trade in the bow and quiver for a 6L ES chest and dual Void Batteries. You'll lose out on some IPS and the +2/3 cold gems, but gain damage from the +250% increased damage, +1% base crit, +40% cast speed, and +% crit multi that the wands provide.

Build

L94 Tree

Bandits: Kraityn, Passive, Alira.

Gearing

Cheap Gear: (Path of Building setup)

Weapon: 6L Short Bow with +2 Cold mod (and crafted IPS at Tora)
Quiver: Cold leech corrupted Rearguard
Chest: Any high ES piece
Helm: Any high ES piece, ideally with FP IPS enchant
Boots: Any movespeed ES res piece
Belt: ES and res
Gloves: Hrimburn
Rings: Tasalio's while leveling; Snakepits end-game
Jewel: 2x First Snow, 1x res/crit/dmg to fill in the gaps.
Amulet: Karui Ward, Rare Chrysalis (cold dmg), Halycon (80% dmg after you freeze)

Sample cheap gear

Expensive gear: (Path of Building setup for the dual VB)

Weapon: 2x Voids
Chest: High ES 6L
Rings: Shavronne's Revelation (left for mana) + OP ring of your choice / Valyrium
Amulet: High ES % , multi, dmg with cold leech corruption
Boots: Leech enchant high ES

Current expensive gear

Gems:

6L: FP, Added Cold, Faster Projectiles, ICD, CD, Cold Pen (GGGBBB) [swap added cold for echo with VB]
4L: HoI + CoH + Ass + Ice Bite (or PcoC + Mana Leech if you have CoH gloves)
2L: Blink Arrow + FA
3L: CWDT1 + Frost Bomb + Warmark (WarMark is essential for later survival)
1L: Vaal Lightning Trap, Discipline, Vaal Disc, Portal
4L: CWS + Freezing Pulse + Ice Golem + Frost Bomb / Ice Spear

Auras: Herald of Ice, Discipline, Purity of Ice

My current character with its ever evolving gear. Started off with <100c worth of stuff for end-game

Last edited by sherkhan on May 1, 2017, 10:57:33 AM
Last bumped on Mar 4, 2018, 11:11:43 PM
Cool build idea. I'm trying it out now and it's leveling super easy w/ dual lifesprig and an early push towards the threshold jewels.

Quick question - what order do you recommend for the ascendancies?
"
Azatos wrote:
Cool build idea. I'm trying it out now and it's leveling super easy w/ dual lifesprig and an early push towards the threshold jewels.

Quick question - what order do you recommend for the ascendancies?

First Ambush, then towards Deadly Infusion. Assassinate is really unnecessary overall - you can get it at Uber if you want it.

Getting the two jewel slots first is exactly the right approach. I didn't bother with defense nodes till I hit 70. Everything dies or is frozen.
"
Getting the two jewel slots first is exactly the right approach. I didn't bother with defense nodes till I hit 70. Everything dies or is frozen.

That's pretty much been my approach too. The only tweak I've made to the build was adding a golem. There's gem sockets to spare and golems are free buffs.
Hi, Sherkhan. TY for your build, im having blast with it so far. I have a question. Is 6L Short Bow required for this build, or we can use any 6L bow? I noticed that I can buy 6L bow for about 15-20c.
"
Lekerov wrote:
Hi, Sherkhan. TY for your build, im having blast with it so far. I have a question. Is 6L Short Bow required for this build, or we can use any 6L bow? I noticed that I can buy 6L bow for about 15-20c.

Any 6L bow works. Just make sure the DEX requirements are low, so it's easier to chrome 3B3G.
What about Shaper, Atziri, Phoenix and so on? Are they viable? Also can you perme freeze bosses or not? I'm currently building something like this but still lack on DPS. The freeze is chance is okay but I'm really worried about high end maps t15+

I'm still lvl 54 so I can't test any high end maps. Please make a video of high end maps so we can make this build viable :)
I really love freezing pulse and would love to see making it viable without going Templar or Witch.
Last edited by binhood on Mar 22, 2017, 6:20:35 AM
This build seems cheap and all.. But we newbies need a more detailed guide, if you could link your items /gems and show us your stats for endgame bosses, would really appreciate it. Thanks!
"
binhood wrote:
What about Shaper, Atziri, Phoenix and so on? Are they viable? Also can you perme freeze bosses or not? I'm currently building something like this but still lack on DPS. The freeze is chance is okay but I'm really worried about high end maps t15+

I'm still lvl 54 so I can't test any high end maps. Please make a video of high end maps so we can make this build viable :)
I really love freezing pulse and would love to see making it viable without going Templar or Witch.

I think Guardians (like Phoenix) have around 9x more life (approximately) than typical T15 bosses, and the way Assassin ascendancy nodes work (more damage/crit/multi when enemy is on full/low life) means that you won't be getting those benefits against bosses with huge health pools.

I can't speak for OP and have not played this exact build but I would guess that no, you definitely would not be able to perma-freeze Guardians/Shaper.
"
Greymane2k wrote:

I think Guardians (like Phoenix) have around 9x more life (approximately) than typical T15 bosses, and the way Assassin ascendancy nodes work (more damage/crit/multi when enemy is on full/low life) means that you won't be getting those benefits against bosses with huge health pools.

I can't speak for OP and have not played this exact build but I would guess that no, you definitely would not be able to perma-freeze Guardians/Shaper.

Guardians and Shaper are Chill/Freeze immune, so freezing them won't work in any case.
With good gameplay, they should be still doable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info