Los geht's - Let's get that German translation rolling

Thank you all for your insights in this matter. It just always was weird to me. Everytime i go to germany or france the movies etc etc are always dubbed in the local language. I myself grew up on cartoon network without even subs which thought me a lot of words.

Anyways always nice to upgrade PoE in any way i was just curious on the matter.
Carry on!
"
cronus wrote:
"
carnivore2k4 wrote:
maybe half to two thirds of people below ~45 years are able to read and understand English well enough for a game like POE

"wb saved my ass at hydra, have es/ci which is op with vinctars and vp compared to life and bf totems usually kill it in seconds, but ..."

gt pls (german translation, please) :-)

Sure, no problem *cough*:

"wk haben mir meinen arsch bei der hydra gerettet. habe es/ci, was mit vinctars und vp üm ist im vergleich zu leben mit fk totems - normalerweise töte ich es in sekunden, aber..."

wk = Wirbelnde Klingen
es = Energieschild
ci = Chaos Impfung
vp = Vaal Pakt
üm = übermächtig
fk = Fallende Klingen

And of course, won't help at all if you don't know (or can't guess) the abbreviations (I' not even sure that I got them right). But it's more a problem of lazy internet people than language.

Last edited by carnivore2k4 on Mar 20, 2017, 11:34:15 AM
"
carnivore2k4 wrote:
"
cronus wrote:
"
carnivore2k4 wrote:
maybe half to two thirds of people below ~45 years are able to read and understand English well enough for a game like POE

"wb saved my ass at hydra, have es/ci which is op with vinctars and vp compared to life and bf totems usually kill it in seconds, but ..."

gt pls (german translation, please) :-)

Sure, no problem *cough*:

"wk haben mir meinen arsch bei der hydra gerettet. habe es/ci, was mit vinctars und vp üm ist im vergleich zu leben mit fk totems - normalerweise töte ich es in sekunden, aber..."

wk = Wirbelnde Klingen
es = Energieschild
ci = Chaos Impfung
vp = Vaal Pakt
üm = übermächtig
fk = Fallende Klingen

And of course, won't help at all if you don't know (or can't guess) the abbreviations (I' not even sure that I got them right). But it's more a problem of lazy internet people than language.

not bad at all, i especially like "chaos impfung"
Man könnte überlegen, ob man vllcht aus dem Wiki die Einträge bzw Artikelüberschriften irgendwie importieren kann
"
cronus wrote:
i wouldn't translate unique keywords like "orb" or "league stone" as well as npc names or locations.

there are many german players who prefer to play he game in english and want to help other non-english speakers into the game. sometimes they will even play togehter in parties using the respective clients.

they need to know what they are talking about.

I just checked the Portuguese translation. Currency and places are translated. Leaguestone is translated, divination cards are translated. The only thing I found that was not translated are, for some reason, the names of leagues. So you have a Pedra de Liga Ambush ...; not sure why this is.
And as funny as it may sound to us who are used to the English names of all these items, people who up until now haven't played PoE (due to the lack of a German version) won't notice a thing.
They likely won't engage in cross-language trade, either, since Poe.Trade does not seem to offer multi language support.
On the other hand, new players would probably be quite put off if stuff were not translated, especially items and currency.
Helping other players will of course be more difficult if they tell you "Ich brauch diesen einzigartigen Schaller (unique sallet)" instead of using English. But that is nothing that can't be worked around. And most likely there will be an active German community, so cross-language help may not be all that necessary.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Since the data will be there, anyway, maybe they could add a basic vocabulary list to a German wiki, e.g. those item base names and orbs for reference when trading.
Good idea, Alysma.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
RotjongNL wrote:
What i dont understand is the need for germans and french to translate everything. Coming from the netherlands everything but the kiddy stuff is left as is and subtitled. Maybe one of u guys can explain this to me. Not meant as offensive just a serious question.

PoE is meant to be played by adults am i right? I have big enough faith i german and french educational system to believe the level of english comprehension is adequate. Am i wrong or missing something?

The education of different languages is as bad in Germany as it is at France. While it is mandatory to learn two different ones (mostly French and English), until the end of the 12th grade, the number of lessons are very small compared to other subjects in school.

We are talking of maybe just three or four lessons a week, if at all. Lessons in Germany are 45 minutes, so you might see where the problem is. The only exception of that rule are language schools, I went to one and there you have a higher focus on these, but it´s still nowhere close to what you have in the US or NZ.

The reason for that mess is simple, in Germany schools always wait for the lesser willing pupils, so that the stuff is repeated 10 times, until the last one finally understood it.

Said low level education is very present in Germany, they don´t want anyone to fall behind, even at the A-Level schools and therefore the demands are super low and what you learn is hardly preparing you for anything in your future life. As further you go south, as better the education will be, but better is still not very good compared to international standards.

I remember my English classes where we took a whole year for a book of 50 pages, a book I had finished in a day :) and our teachers hardly spoke English to us, but always answered questions in German... while our history exam did consist of three topics, pre WW1, WW2 and post WW2.

Even at Universities, we hardly have any classes in a different language than our own.

The German educational system is among the worst in Europe and if you watch German TV, then even the journalists or translators hardly speak proper English these days and yes, everything must be translated, books, movies, magazines...

I spent a lot of time in other countries and you will not realize how horrible the system is, unless you spent your fair share of time abroad, as here "everything" is perfect according to our politicians. :)

US English speaker here, always intimidated by the rich and (to me, at least) arcane grammatical structure of German. Thanks for posting this discussion in English. As an aficionado of language, I am enjoying this thread. It's a nice opportunity to get a glimpse into some of the differences between English and German, and to glean a little knowledge, here and there. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Some words of the translation are written bold, has this any special meaning? (In the google sheet)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info